Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Merino Wool for warmer weather cycling ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Merino Wool for warmer weather cycling ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 03:27 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Synthetic will wick better and breathe better and keep you much much cooler. In the 1960's the only bike clothing came from Italy and it was all 100% wool and it was a happy day when synthetic fabrics started to be used for bike clothing. I use cotton underwear but everything else is with synthetic fabrics. The only place where wool might make sense is with a knit cap for very cold weather.

What helps in variable weather is a bicycling jacket that is windproof in the front but ventilated in the back and has detachable sleeves. I can start out with the air temp at 50 degrees and take of the sleeves when it gets to above 70 degrees and then take of the jacket vest when it gets above 80 degrees. It all rolls into two pieces that I stuff in the back pockets of my riding jersey.
Old 09-22-21, 07:50 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Synthetic will wick better and breathe better and keep you much much cooler. In the 1960's the only bike clothing came from Italy and it was all 100% wool and it was a happy day when synthetic fabrics started to be used for bike clothing. I use cotton underwear but everything else is with synthetic fabrics. The only place where wool might make sense is with a knit cap for very cold weather.

What helps in variable weather is a bicycling jacket that is windproof in the front but ventilated in the back and has detachable sleeves. I can start out with the air temp at 50 degrees and take of the sleeves when it gets to above 70 degrees and then take of the jacket vest when it gets above 80 degrees. It all rolls into two pieces that I stuff in the back pockets of my riding jersey.
Glad you are happy with the synthetics and I wouldn't try to convince you to believe otherwise. I am happy I can still buy wool, silk, linen, hemp, cotton and some quasi natural fibers like rayon and modal.

I had a fun encounter the other day. I complemented a woman on her wool sweater at a coffee shop and asked if she had knitted it. Her answer was "no" but she then proceeded to tell me about the benefits of wool. I mentioned my favorite which is that wool doesn't stink. She then told me that last year she had completed the wool dress challenge which involved wearing the same wool dress 100 days in a row. She had the dress on at the time I met her and she said she had only washed it a handful of times during the 100 day challenge.
https://journal.wooland.com/post/202...ress-challenge