Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

lithium battery for e zip E bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 12:02 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

I recently scored these two E Zip E bikes for $200 (including a spare motor). They are in as new condition , having belonged to an older couple who garaged them and used them only occasionally to ride around the neighborhood. With them came (2) AGM batteries and (1) lithium battery plus chargers for each. One of the AGM batteries and the lithium battery seem to hold a charge well. The other AGM will charge but discharges quickly when underway. I know these are low end bikes and that they are not very useful on hills but my intended usage is at Burning Man that is held on a dry lake bed and is as flat as it gets. My intention is to open the case of the bad AGM battery and replace the batteries inside. I have done this before on another EZip I had a couple years ago . It is pretty easy with the AGM batteries.

I am hesitant to buy new AGM's from Amazon having had bad luck last year doing this. This time I am thinking of replacing the batteries with either Interstate or Duracell batteries, both made in the USA, or possibly with a lithium pack . Buying the lithium pack already installed in the EZip case is almost $400. vs Duracell AGM's at $100 . The lithiums are way lighter and supposedly longer lasting so , if I could get a 24 volt pack and install them in the case myself That might be the way to go. So far I haven't seen anyone selling this size pack except with cheap Chineese cells which are suspect. I am looking for info on a good quality ready made pack or source for custom making a pack that will fit inside the existing Ezip case. Any info or comments appreciated
Old 03-04-20, 03:25 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
This company will rebuild your Currie battery pack https://ebikemarketplace.com/pages/rebuild
Old 03-09-20, 01:26 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There is a guy on Craigs list selling 24v 20 ah batteries for 75 dollars. Might be a place to start looking. These batteries were in light use and still have plenty of life left. Lithium is a good way to go. These batteries sell for over 300 dollars new. Craigslist Santa Rosa California. This battery is a drop in replacement for lead batteries and you can use you original charger. Just be careful connecting it to your rig. Get your polarity correct.