Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Route Suggestions for Bar Harbor to Key West

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 07:44 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I’m thinking of doing a “supported” tour from Bar Harbor to Key West. My wife loves to travel via our van and would be sagging for me. We have experience with the most extensive being a solo cross country ride in 2016. I followed Rt 20 from OR to Boston and averaged about 85 miles per day. We will probably do hotels although camping could be an option as needed.

I’ve glanced at the Adventure Cycling route and wonder what others thoughts are on using their route. For anyone whose ridden that or a similar route what suggestions do you have.

I did notice their route uses A1A through Florida, but suggests using sidewalks in heavily traveled sections. I’ve ridden some of the bike paths in FL but those were mostly on the gulf coast and in the “upstate”.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-20, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I’ve ridden the portion between N. Canaan, CT, and Philadelphia twice in the last several years, including in 2018. I’ve got a few quibbles with it, including the use of the Walkill Trail south from New Paltz, NY (not suited for skinny tires), but overall, think it’s pretty good. They really nailed the portion in NJ. The Harlem Valley Trail south from Millerton, NY, is also quite nice. From there you can save some miles if you don’t mind some fairly benign dirt/gravel.
Old 05-21-20, 08:56 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I went to a 'talk' from a recent successful attempt to break Guiness Book of Records for easternmost to southernmost point of the US. There were some sketchy sections in Philadelphia as I recall. Overall, that route concerns me as it traverses densely populated sections of the country and it is not always easy to find decent roads away from traffic
Old 05-21-20, 09:24 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I went to a 'talk' from a recent successful attempt to break Guiness Book of Records for easternmost to southernmost point of the US. There were some sketchy sections in Philadelphia as I recall. Overall, that route concerns me as it traverses densely populated sections of the country and it is not always easy to find decent roads away from traffic
I agree, that whole East Coast thing is sketchy. 🤔 I think my biggest concern would be Alligator Alley, if you get that far into Florida. Be careful, camping. 😁😉
Old 05-21-20, 09:35 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

one cool thing I heard this year (although it is logical and i'm kicking myself for not thinking the same way already) is that camping in florida during winter months is easier on the nerves when it comes to reptiles. Reptiles are warm blooded creatures. During winter months they tend to be dormant

Originally Posted by stardognine
I agree, that whole East Coast thing is sketchy. 🤔 I think my biggest concern would be Alligator Alley, if you get that far into Florida. Be careful, camping. 😁😉
Old 05-21-20, 09:40 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Check this out

:https://www.easterntrail.org/
Old 05-21-20, 11:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
one cool thing I heard this year (although it is logical and i'm kicking myself for not thinking the same way already) is that camping in florida during winter months is easier on the nerves when it comes to reptiles. Reptiles are warm blooded creatures. During winter months they tend to be dormant
My Florida tour was in Feb 2017. The cold blooded animals were plenty active.

Took this photo from a bridge on Highway 41 in Big Cyprus.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-21-20, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
The ACA route doesn’t go through Philly unless you take the dead end spur into the city. At Conshocken it heads west on a trail to Valley Forge and eventually into Amish/Mennonite country. I only went into the city because I live there, very close the spur’s end, which spur is mostly on trails.

Heading south in 2018 I encountered a sketchy bear cub at my NJ campground. Walked across my path as I was returning to my site after a shower. No mom to be seen. Made me a bit nervous.

Maybe your talking about the ECG, which is terrible in PA.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-21-20 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-21-20, 06:09 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Look at the East Coast Greenway. https://www.greenway.org/
Old 05-22-20, 09:03 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Years ago one of our customers rode the length of U.S. 1 from Fort Kent ME to Key West FL with his wife driving sag. It was a fundraising ride. Options have improved since then, such as Adventure Cycling's east coast mapped ride.

Alligator Alley runs east<>west in Florida so you probably won't be on it.
Old 05-27-20, 12:49 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
ACA routes can be nice but one may have to tweak them. Miami has a reputation for bad drivers (fairly deserved perhaps) but on a south Florida A1A tour the drivers were quite polite. Lots of marked bike lanes & occasional parallel paths.
Old 05-27-20, 03:24 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I would feel comfortable riding the barrier islands along Florida's east coast. I've ridden St. Augustine to Daytona, the Cocoa Beach area, Sebastian to Vero Beach, and Fort Pierce to Boca. Some areas you'll have to get on US 1 for a short period and get back to A1A. If you like looking at mansions, you'll love most everything from Hobe Sound to Miami. If you want some more info about the Treasure Coast (Martin and St. Lucie Counties in particular) contact me for restaurants, minor route changes and such.
Old 05-27-20, 04:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I’m thinking of doing a “supported” tour from Bar Harbor to Key West. My wife loves to travel via our van and would be sagging for me. We have experience with the most extensive being a solo cross country ride in 2016. I followed Rt 20 from OR to Boston and averaged about 85 miles per day. We will probably do hotels although camping could be an option as needed...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If Metro Boston is en route, consider me a resource.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-27-20 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 08:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Yeah same here for the state of Maine. Cheers.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
If Metro Boston is en route, consider me a resource.