Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazon trucks blocking bicycle lanes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amazon trucks blocking bicycle lanes

Old 07-13-20, 08:56 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Above it?

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I thought we were above that in BF.
With all due respect, NOT my observation having been back here only for a few weeks. And over the long haul that I've observed politics, I don't think that current political rhetoric is any different than when I was growing up. We'd all like to think so, but it's not. What's different is us.

Like, for example, the guy above who trashed working people as "losers." Amazing. Would never have happened during most of my life. From any side of the political or philosophical spectrum.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 07-13-20, 08:58 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Bike lanes? Who has bike lanes?

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
bike lane
I'm just apoplectic with jealousy that you guys all have bike lanes in your cities that can be mistreated. Atlanta? Virtually nothing.
Old 07-13-20, 09:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
With all due respect, NOT my observation having been back here only for a few weeks. And over the long haul that I've observed politics, I don't think that current political rhetoric is any different than when I was growing up. We'd all like to think so, but it's not. What's different is us.

Like, for example, the guy above who trashed working people as "losers." Amazing. Would never have happened during most of my life. From any side of the political or philosophical spectrum.
I guess whataboutisms, straw men, and red herrings have been around forever. Can't argue with that.

The other forum anomaly I haven't liked in BF, which is NOT a problem over on Slowtwitch, is the concept of "extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof". ST is steeped in the tradition of bringing the data or proof to backup claims. Or, if you say something is "such and such" and that something is quite a bit out of the norm........you best be prepared to explain it.

BF has a tendency sometimes to not appreciate having people challenge claims. ST manages to place healthy challenges on claims while mostly being appropriate.

A good neutral example would be aerodynamics, wheel/tire width, tire pressure and how the whole system actually works in the real world. People bring claims and are asked for data.

I feel like that would go down like this in BF: "well, I run 32mm tires on my aero wheels and it's the fastest thing ever"................"Powermeter data? Aero data? Links to rides?"............"well, well, I'm flustered and offended now! How dare the question me!"
Old 07-13-20, 02:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
In my small city if you stop your car in the downtown area in a no parking zone and get out of the car you'll get a ticket if the parking enforcement officer sees you. Mt BinL did that to dash into a store to pick up a ready prescription whilst his wife waited in the car. Got a $45.00 ticket and never went downtown again.

Cheers
With high priced parking meters, and obscenely high priced parking tickets, the only time I go down town in our city is when I ride thru on my bike or trike. The money grubbing b'crats have priced an awful lot of people out of their city centers.
Old 07-13-20, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
see : mayor in Lithuania drives a tank over an illegally parked car
Old 07-13-20, 03:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
With high priced parking meters, and obscenely high priced parking tickets, the only time I go down town in our city is when I ride thru on my bike or trike. The money grubbing b'crats have priced an awful lot of people out of their city centers.
It kind of makes you wonder if bureaucrats like to practice "Don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing"? They pay all this lip service to making downtowns accessible to shoppers then do dumb things that drive shoppers out to the malls or plazas. Here in town we have a bit of a problem with homeless people vandalizing parked bicycles. I can't remember the last time I shopped downtown because of that.

At least we don't have big trucks in our so called bicycle lanes that are mostly door-zone ones.

Cheers
Old 07-13-20, 03:25 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Answer this then.
WTF is up with 91% of all road cyclists blowing through stop signs and rolling through red lights?
I hear what you say! When ever I get in a discussion with a non cyclists , they usually start with " I hate you guys , you run stop signs and red light and I never know when you are turning!" I agree with them and tell them that we don't all do that. A few of us want to live! It certainly gives the rest of us a bad name. Joe
Old 07-13-20, 07:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Have had a cars blow thru a red-light as they were basing traffic laws from a cyclists side of responsibility.
Monkey see, monkey do. Except the law is different for motored vehicles vs bicycles
Old 07-13-20, 07:40 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
When the 99% clean up their act, you can come for the 1%....

"...The way of man is not so, it takes from the shortfall and adds to the surplus...."
Tao Teh Ching (77)
Old 07-15-20, 11:00 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It just not Amazon trucks. It is any kind of delivery trucks. They all have the attitude that they can stop anywhere. They will stop in the driving lane blocking in cars that are parked at the curb. You have wait for the jerks to come out and move their trucks.
maybe they are delivering bike stuff?
Old 07-15-20, 11:04 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
My former boss... (and the person who got me back into cycling) tried to sue UPS for this...

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ks-bike-lanes/

Every time I rode by the big UPS facility in Elmsford on my rail trail adventures I thought of him.

One thing I'll say is that a rear-view mirror makes merging in rare traffic to go around the infrequent parked car a lot more comfortable.

But I'm glad I don't have to deal with them frequently in busy traffic... back in that world I didn't ride roads at all. The Harlem to Chelsea commute he had at the era of this case i not one I would have enjoyed.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-15-20 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 02:56 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
That's why every cyclist should learn Vehicular Cycling : the road is ours and such situations will always happen. Bike lanes are a convenience for cyclists, and should not be used when they are not safe, use the whole road when the situation requires it.
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 07-16-20, 07:44 AM
Dr.Lou

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
It’s just part of the riding adventure. We all know most drivers feel the same about cyclists in the traffic lane. We all must get a long.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 07-17-20, 06:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I guess whataboutisms, straw men, and red herrings have been around forever. Can't argue with that.

The other forum anomaly I haven't liked in BF, which is NOT a problem over on Slowtwitch, is the concept of "extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof". ST is steeped in the tradition of bringing the data or proof to backup claims. Or, if you say something is "such and such" and that something is quite a bit out of the norm........you best be prepared to explain it.

BF has a tendency sometimes to not appreciate having people challenge claims. ST manages to place healthy challenges on claims while mostly being appropriate.

A good neutral example would be aerodynamics, wheel/tire width, tire pressure and how the whole system actually works in the real world. People bring claims and are asked for data.

I feel like that would go down like this in BF: "well, I run 32mm tires on my aero wheels and it's the fastest thing ever"................"Powermeter data? Aero data? Links to rides?"............"well, well, I'm flustered and offended now! How dare the question me!"

Hold on, are you saying that "I find 32mm tires on aero wheels faster for me" is an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary proof? If you're in the racing forum, maybe. But in General Cycling? C'mon. Most of us don't collect that kind of data and I'm not going to start just to win some silly argument in BF.
Old 07-17-20, 06:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Hold on, are you saying that "I find 32mm tires on aero wheels faster for me" is an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary proof? If you're in the racing forum, maybe. But in General Cycling? C'mon. Most of us don't collect that kind of data and I'm not going to start just to win some silly argument in BF.
It was probably a bad example. I'm a nerd, so that's what I had to work with.
Old 07-17-20, 06:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by holytrousers
That's why every cyclist should learn Vehicular Cycling : the road is ours and such situations will always happen. Bike lanes are a convenience for cyclists, and should not be used when they are not safe, use the whole road when the situation requires it.

Well, in most of the U.S., you are likely subjecting yourself to a traffic ticket if you habitually practice vehicular cycling.

Isn't there a rule against debating VC in General Cycling? It got separated into its own sub-sub-forum in A&S decades ago.
Old 07-17-20, 06:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It was probably a bad example. I'm a nerd, so that's what I had to work with.

If I'd wanted to cite an example, it would have been a bunch of the crazy medical claims people used to post around here, and I'd take a lot of heat for demanding real proof. That seems to have eased somewhat, and I'm not sure whether that's because someone had a word with the quacks or if they know they're going to get challenged now.
Old 07-17-20, 10:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
or if they know they're going to get challenged now.
Something along the lines of "troll me once, shame on you; troll me twice, shame on me; troll me thrice, get banned"
Old 07-17-20, 11:48 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

In a 2000 Business college class, we studied this, vis a vis UPS and efficiency movement models. UPS decided to pay any necessary driver tickets as more efficient than time "wasted" finding a place to park
Old 07-17-20, 05:14 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
In a 2000 Business college class, we studied this, vis a vis UPS and efficiency movement models. UPS decided to pay any necessary driver tickets as more efficient than time "wasted" finding a place to park
This sounds like mafia ways of doing business, and that's public information ? Nobody took them to court ?
Old 07-17-20, 05:16 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

This sounds like mafia ways of doing business, and that's public information ? Nobody took them to court ?
Business as usual in America....
Old 07-17-20, 05:52 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Business as usual in America....
Business models where law braking is considered just another operating cost are called organized crime
Old 07-18-20, 09:02 AM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts

The local governments certainly would not care since they were making money off of that policy.
Likes For Berg417448:
Old 07-18-20, 11:17 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by Berg417448
The local governments certainly would not care since they were making money off of that policy.
Kickbacks make big stacks!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-18-20, 11:54 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
One of the problems with bike lanes is the question of how to handle things like buses and delivery trucks. Do you let themstop in the traffic lane and let people/deliverers step off into the bike lane, or do you let them temporarily block the bike lane? Somebody will be unhappy no matter which you choose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.