Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how to remove stuck cap?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

how to remove stuck cap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 07:31 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
how to remove stuck cap?

I have a set of Powercranks. The end-caps are thick and important for the tricky, mysterious mechanism. One cap is seized. I drilled it and loosened the allen bolt that held the crank arm on but the end-cap won't come off. I'm thinking I need to drill 2 holes in it and make a stout pin-tool to undo it. Whattaya think? Any advice?​​​​​​​

Old 08-27-20, 07:43 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Not familiar with that model, but is is possible that the cap is left-hand threaded?
Old 08-28-20, 01:46 AM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
I'm assuming you want to remove the center piece.

Some motorcycle oil caps have curved detents like that and require a special tool.
I use a large washer turned by a large crescent wrench. The key is to find a washer that fits exactly with as little play as possible. And be sure to maintain downward pressure at all times to keep the washer in its place.

Good luck !
Old 08-28-20, 03:56 AM
BillyJohnLee

Bikes: Scott speedster flatbar, univega fixed gear conversion, Dawes Galaxy MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have removed similar with a coin held in adjustable spanner. 'Copper' coins will be softer than the cap so will save it if it goes wrong.
Old 08-28-20, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I expect the grub screw is there to keep it from loosening on its own..
Old 08-28-20, 11:00 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Hey, fellow Powercranks rider --

If you're going to give the leveraging it another shot with the existing slots, the thing that fits well is the outside curve of a Park cone wrench. It's all alloy, so you might want to heat it up, break the bond.

What's going on with the cranks?

Before you destroy them, you can send them back to Powercranks and have them repaired at a very reasonable cost (I paid I think $75 a few years ago for them to fix the clutches).
Old 08-28-20, 12:48 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've interacted w the owner about salvaging these old things. I might need a fresh cap when i'm done. we'll see. I've tried some powerful usual ways of removing it. it is seized. i'll try the heating method and the park tool idea.

it's been a few months since i messed with them and i forget some details other than that i wanted to remove the cap so that's where i'm starting back up. the main problem was both cranks were slipping forward. and i think that was somehow over-tightening the caps. ?? maybe they need to be on but not too tight? does the arm rotate around them? i forget. i got the right one liberated but not the left. i think another issue was that the right arm was propelling the left arm. maybe i got them both to grab but then they wouldn't rotate independently of each other anymore. anyway the mission was to loosen the left cap. for some reason. these are tricky critters!

as i recall they were both regular threading. ??