Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front wheel lifting off ground when sprinting

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-20-21, 12:22 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Do I just need to put more weight towards the front or is my technique wrong?

Thanks
Old 04-20-21, 04:12 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
As you press down on the left pedal, pull up on the left side of the handlebar and push down on the right side, twisting the handlebar to counter the pedal force. As you press down on the right pedal, pull up on the right side of the handlebar and push down on the left side.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-20-21, 04:19 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Send a bit less power to your massive guads?
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-20-21, 04:41 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Trakhak
As you press down on the left pedal, pull up on the left side of the handlebar and push down on the right side, twisting the handlebar to counter the pedal force. As you press down on the right pedal, pull up on the right side of the handlebar and push down on the left side.
Thanks.

Might try this on my trainer first, sounds like something that is straightforward but doing opposite things with arms legs is actually quite hard without practice.
Old 04-20-21, 05:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
If you’re sprinting properly (see post #2), you should have a greater likelihood of pulling the rear wheel off the ground… Though neither should happen.

I really can’t fathom how you can be pulling the front wheel off of the ground. Is your weight waaay back on the bike?
Old 04-20-21, 06:28 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
What a BAD and UNRELEVANT question!

Just kidding (I am imitating some forum members here). Perhaps you should lean more towards the front of the bike when getting out of the saddle and attacking. You should be feeling weight on your shoulders and arm transferring to your handlebars when sprinting.
Old 04-20-21, 06:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Might try this on my trainer first...
Do you dislike your bike that much?

In all seriousness, a typical trainer is the last place that I'd practice sprinting; I personally won't go beyond a seated sprint on the trainer. Having the bike/rear axel locked in when trying to rip off my handlebars just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to my bike and, just as importantly, it feels completely unnatural. If you need to practice, do it on the road, but dial down the intensity and work on form before stepping it back up.
Old 04-20-21, 06:46 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Might try this on my trainer first, sounds like something that is straightforward but doing opposite things with arms legs is actually quite hard without practice.
I'm going to echo WhyFi! DON'T DO THIS! It has great potential to end badly.

When you say sprinting, I'm envisioning out of the saddle throwing down the max power you can manage...where are your hands? Hint, if they're on the hoods, you're doing it wrong. Unless, your name starts with Guiseppe and ends with Saronni. (Rule 92)

Get into the drops, and power away. If you already are....you are massively powerful and I want to ride with you.
Old 04-20-21, 06:47 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Definitely too far back. I think. I also have a hard time understanding how your front tire is coming off the ground. With my sh***y technique, I'm often fighting the back tire skipping around.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 04-20-21, 08:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Is your front wheel actually coming off the ground, or is it just about to?

If it's just about to but not, that might be a good indicator you are in the right gear at that moment to get the best power and acceleration.

But I'm just guessing and imagining. Have at it guys and gals.
Old 04-20-21, 08:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Is the OP's last name Sagan?
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-20-21, 08:27 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Thanks.

If you're riding without weaving all over the road, especially when riding out of the saddle, you're probably already doing it without being conscious of it. Doing different things with your arms and legs is also critical to cornering correctly.
Old 04-20-21, 08:36 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Braggart. . I had that problem with a Yamaha R1 1000. Not with a bicycle yet.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 04-20-21, 08:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Braggart. . I had that problem with a Yamaha R1 1000. Not with a bicycle yet.
OP didn't specify, but he pushes 5000w as soon as he gets out the saddle.
Old 04-20-21, 09:57 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, simple as that. Sometimes when I'm hill sprinting, I'll lift the back wheel off. Simple, move weight back. Lifting the front wheel is not good as one loses steerage.
BTW, you're doing it right.
Old 04-20-21, 10:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Do form sprints in a parking lot or low traffic road. Out of the saddle and wind it up, but only with about 80% effort. Really focus on form and front-to-back balance. You'll feel it. Then start adding power.
Old 04-20-21, 11:28 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Badger6
I'm going to echo WhyFi! DON'T DO THIS! It has great potential to end badly.

When you say sprinting, I'm envisioning out of the saddle throwing down the max power you can manage...where are your hands? Hint, if they're on the hoods, you're doing it wrong. Unless, your name starts with Guiseppe and ends with Saronni. (Rule 92)

Get into the drops, and power away. If you already are....you are massively powerful and I want to ride with you.
It was 'only' 900 Watts. My max was achieved on my trainer, just shy of 1000. That is hardly "massively powerful", which is why I thought I must be doing something wrong in the first place.

I prefer to have them on the hoods, but this particular time they were on the drops (which may explain some of the lower power versus my max, pretty sure I can do more on the hoods).
Old 04-20-21, 11:29 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by WhyFi

In all seriousness, a typical trainer is the last place that I'd practice sprinting; I personally won't go beyond a seated sprint on the trainer. Having the bike/rear axel locked in when trying to rip off my handlebars just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to my bike and, just as importantly, it feels completely unnatural. If you need to practice, do it on the road, but dial down the intensity and work on form before stepping it back up.
Well, in the winter I ain't going out on a weekday in the dark and cold, or rain for that matter, so I only had the trainer for some months. I feel good sprinting on it, greatly improved my max output as well, my current max is still from trainer. But I take your point, I never really thought about it before to be honest (like why would they advertise "up to 2000W" and what do people doing Swift races do, they output way more than me I bet).
Old 04-20-21, 11:33 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by Koyote
If you’re sprinting properly (see post #2), you should have a greater likelihood of pulling the rear wheel off the ground… Though neither should happen.

I really can’t fathom how you can be pulling the front wheel off of the ground. Is your weight waaay back on the bike?
Hence why I asked, I probably am doing something wrong. Logically I must be pulling the handlebar upwards, I can't think of why else the front would go up. Not sure why though.

Also maybe to clarify, I am not doing wheelies, as in it isn't massively in the air, it jumped off the ground I think twice for a very short time
Old 04-20-21, 11:35 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by caloso
Do form sprints in a parking lot or low traffic road. Out of the saddle and wind it up, but only with about 80% effort. Really focus on form and front-to-back balance. You'll feel it. Then start adding power.
I have a local road that has a cycle lane and almost no traffic. Perfect for this. I assume with form you mean as described in post number 2?
Old 04-20-21, 11:37 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by eduskator
OP didn't specify, but he pushes 5000w as soon as he gets out the saddle.
Immer großes Blatt 8000 Watt

Always big ring 8000 watt, rhymes in German.

Hm, trying to link an instagram post but it doesn't show the URL but instead the whole photo, which is kind of obnoxiously large. Anyway, it's a meme in German cycling.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 04-20-21 at 11:40 AM.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 04-20-21, 12:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Hence why I asked, I probably am doing something wrong. Logically I must be pulling the handlebar upwards, I can't think of why else the front would go up. Not sure why though.

Also maybe to clarify, I am not doing wheelies, as in it isn't massively in the air, it jumped off the ground I think twice for a very short time
Do as suggested in post #2, which is not hard - it's pretty reflexive, really. Get your weight a bit more forward on the bike. Make sure your hands are in the drops.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-20-21, 12:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

I regularly do max-effort sprints on my trainer. No issues. However, I'm practiced at it, and know how to not fall off. I agree that the trainer not a good place to learn, and learning form/coordination at lower intensity is the right approach.
Old 04-20-21, 12:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Absolutely need to have hands in the drops.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-20-21, 12:40 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Couldn't get the link to load, so search YouTube for

How To Sprint Like Mark Cavendish – Cav's Top 5 Sprinting Tips

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.