Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Useless Forum, and can it be saved?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The Useless Forum, and can it be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 12:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
it'd be good info to estab the current bicycle laws of each state if it were centrally contained in A&S.
I'm not sure, but I thought I once found a website which either compiled all the bicycling laws from state to state, or else had links. Ah yes, this is the page I was thinking of: https://bikeleague.org/StateBikeLaws. I would say the list is definitely not complete, since looking up the bicycling laws for my state, it didn't mention anything about required lights & reflectors at night, which I think should be important enough to include.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-19-21, 12:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
A VRU would be a positive thing to establish. One day it might happen.
Old 07-26-21, 09:21 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
A&S is not completely useless - it does give us comic relief from time to time. I don't like posting here because people argue just for the sake of arguing.
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 07-26-21, 12:26 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by milton keynes
well, i guess if you find this forum totally useless, nobody's forcing you to read it.
exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Likes For frogman:
Old 07-27-21, 05:32 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
But how many true "advocacy and safety" topics can there be? "How to ride safely on the road." "Should there be bike lanes and what should they be like?" "How to keep your bike maintained to be safe" (maybe not even for this forum). "There should be X law in Y place" (okay, there are a lot of places just in the U.S., never mind elsewhere-- this could keep us busy for a while). "Should or shouldn't you wear a helmet, and if so, what kind?" "What to do about dogs." "What to do about pedestrians." Etc.

Once all of this has been discussed (I'm guessing more than once), what is left besides current events?
Disc brakes or rim brakes?
Old 07-27-21, 07:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I used to read every post in A&S because the rules were being constantly violated. Then I had them move it down the forum hierarchy a little so it doesn't get quite so much exposure. And that helped a lot. It used to upset me that people who actually advocated for cycling got run out of here, but now I just hope they don't see the forum.

I don't hold out much hope that this forum will be useful, I just hope it doesn't do too much damage.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-28-21, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I used to read every post in A&S because the rules were being constantly violated. Then I had them move it down the forum hierarchy a little so it doesn't get quite so much exposure. And that helped a lot. It used to upset me that people who actually advocated for cycling got run out of here, but now I just hope they don't see the forum.

I don't hold out much hope that this forum will be useful, I just hope it doesn't do too much damage.

Liked for the honesty, and it is sad. As for advocacy, I seriously don't see how a newbie to cycling would find ANYTHING in this forum that would make them want to keep riding.
Old 07-30-21, 02:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Bottom line------------some of us like this forum, if you dont, dont come here. Simple as that.
Old 07-30-21, 06:44 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Let me give you one of the saddest stories I know. The decedent was a work colleague, and a great person. Despite being legally blind he would ride his bike a couple miles to catch a bus to work, day in and day out. He was killed when the driver of an automobile lost control on a very gentle curve, hit a guard rail, and then hit him:

https://democratherald.com/news/loca...688592d5e.html

Following an investigation it was determined that it was not likely that the State could prove criminal negligence beyond a reasonable doubt:
https://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...2af713158.html

So not every crash is caused by the narrow range of intoxicants and cell phones... I once responded to a crash where a person not familiar with our area drove straight off the road because they were looking at a waterfall that came over the ridge about a thousand feet above the valley floor. No drugs, no cell phone, just not paying attention.

I have driven the road where Grant was killed many times and had wondered how anyone who was not well past three sheets to the wind could lose control on that curve. Now I know. And that is why law enforcement departments have accident investigation teams.

I have had a vehicle steering system fail because a previous owner put SAE grade 2 bolts in a place where the manufacturer's shop manual specified that grade 5 or higher were required. Fortunately my event happened with nobody else on the road and I was able to maintain control well enough to come to a safe stop.

... these are very sad anecdotes, in fact just about all the A&S anecdotes are tales of woe and begotten ness, A&S is kinda like reading the obits to remind yourself that you are lucky to be alive, especially if you ride a bicycle
Old 07-30-21, 06:48 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
advocacy is never useless...
Is there anything on the first page of this sub-forum that resembles advocacy?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-30-21, 06:55 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by homeless in ca.

I only want bad drivers who victimize people to be held accountable. Often when cyclists are killed in "accidents" the drivers are not held accountable, party because of bias against cyclists. It's easier to blame the victim than acknowledge the truth that motor vehicles are dangerous and remedy the situation.

I am very interested in how you've managed to determine that "often" drivers are not held accountable. It's not like civil litigation plays out quickly or very publicly. Beyond knowing the outcome, you know that bias factored in. That's some quality investigative work you are doing.
Old 07-30-21, 07:05 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

My belief is that the very best thing we could do in the name of bicycle advocacy is to have mandatory bicycle law education. For cyclists, drivers and law enforcement officers. It would be a bit of a hurdle to bring cyclists into that mix, but it would be relatively simple to get drivers and cops through an educational program. The level of ignorance relative to cycling is staggering.
Old 08-04-21, 05:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Bottom line------------some of us like this forum, if you dont, dont come here. Simple as that.
Bottom line, a mod just came in here to say this forum is embarrassing enough that they had to bury it to keep people who actually care about bike advocacy from leaving bf.

And speaking of people we could write their lines for....