Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

National Newspaper Carrier Day (September 4)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 09:17 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

September 4 is National Newspaper Carrier Day!
Just want to shout out to all the hard-working paperboys and papergirls of yesteryear!
We have our own thread on life support in the Fifty Plus (50+) forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...-paperboy.html), but thought C & V might have a few stragglers who weren't aware of it.
Lots of good vintage stories and photos over there.

SoL
Battle Creek (MI) Enquirer & News, 1968-1970
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 09-04-21, 01:48 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
I was a newspaper carrier for one (1) day. That was enough. I might have tadone it more but I didn't like my partner, Nigel, who took his job too seriously.
A partner on a paper route?
How was that designed to function?
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 09-04-21, 02:10 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 311 Posts
I have some stories..........

I did it for a few years. I would deliver "The Santa Barbara News Press" on a black Diamondback BMX bike rain or shine.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-04-21, 02:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I celebrated early at Cino, did a lot of paperboy on them hills.
Old 09-04-21, 02:27 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I delivered on a western flyer sort of stingray. Huge Wald basket in front. I remember one morning staring at the ground as I rode empty streets. My ride was interrupted by colliding with the trunk of a parked car. The basket needed straightening. I haven't gotten much smarter.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-04-21, 03:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Mom bought me an Italian moped before I had a driver's license just so I could throw a paper route. Had a really hard time waking up at 6am, so I got fired from that job. I later killed the moped and used my sister's wonderful Free Spirit 10-speed to throw a much smaller afternoon paper. But I got fired from that job too. I blame a dog and one angry neighbor. It was almost time to start bagging groceries anyway.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-04-21, 08:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Me and my Bridgestone bicycle at 4 AM for a few years early 70’s ! Delivered the Stars an Stripes Pacific edition on Okinawa through my large housing area. Lots of rain but I enjoyed it. I always thought the desk manager took too big of a cut of my pay. That job ended when I started caddie work at Awase Meadows golf course. Big money! Bike got me there at least.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 09-05-21, 10:33 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
My brother and I shared a 6-day a week afternoon paper route for a while. 80 papers in the suburbs. Subscription rate was 30 cents per week and the paperboy had to go door to door to collect it. Still surprised how many people didn't have 30 cents and told us to come back later. We used an old 20-inch Roadmaster bike with a big huge basket on the front. We would clear less than $15 per week. Seems like every customer wanted something special - paper inside their storm door, paper on the porch, something else. The subscription rate for that same paper is something like $60 a month now, prepaid to the paper company, and the "paperboy" drives his route in a car. The paper's gotten a whole lot thinner, too. No news is good news, I guess.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Last edited by CroMo Mike; 09-05-21 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 09-05-21, 12:15 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Delivered the weekly Parma News in the late 50’s on foot. Community newspaper that asked for a voluntary dime a week, collected monthly. Needless to say, not many paid. On the other hand the publisher paid me a penny a paper, so overall good training for The Big Time.

Which was when my brother and I split a 100 paper Cleveland Press route. He did his half on his Raleigh 3 speed while I did mine on foot with a huge shoulder bag. Took about the same amount of time for each of us, as I recall since pretty much every customer wanted their paper between the storm and front door or some such. In our neighborhood, tossing a rolled or banded paper up onto a porch or lawn would get you fired.
Old 09-05-21, 06:58 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
First paper delivery for was helping my neighbor with a weekly Ad paper in the neighborhood. Only we’d sneak his dad’s early 50’s Plymouth out before dawn & fly through the route. It had a stick shift on the column 😱

I later had my own paper route with SF’s News Call Bulletin. Easy route but I had to contend with steep hills. Delivery was on a Schwinn 3-sp (my 1st big bike) w/ a headlight & speedo.

The newspaper had a subscription contest & if you sold enough of them, you’d win a trip to Disneyland. Two of my good friends also had Call Bulletin routes & all 3 of us won & went to Disneyland. We got to fly down to LAX & back to SFO on the same day. We had a lots of fun. This was around 1957. 2 yrs after D-land 1st opened.

There’s the Schwinn behind 49’er halfback Hugh McElhenny & I on a photo shoot one day…

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 09-10-21 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 09-06-21, 08:47 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
Yea , I did it on a cobbled together Murray set up with 20" wheels and a banana seat and butterfly handle bars. Got real good at planting the paper on the porch. In North Oxnard where my route was the front yards were rather large so technique was everything. I only had thirty five but it was work. I guess that's where I got the "get up early " thing. We were poor and had no car but a friend's Dad would take me when it rained.... sometimes. We folded at the local hospital lobby. I actually got my first pair of new Levi's that way . The $$ was great! Mom was stoked cause I would bring home a paper , always one or two extra's .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-06-21, 08:52 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I have some stories..........

I did it for a few years. I would deliver "The Santa Barbara News Press" on a black Diamondback BMX bike rain or shine.
My brother was the Chief City Editor there in the seventies, when it was a local paper .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-06-21, 09:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I had a paper route but it was done on foot, without a bicycle. Client number ranged from about 65-75 and the farthest from home was only three blocks. Delivering the papers was never an issue for me, even in rain or snow. The problem was collecting. You spent more time trying to collect than delivering papers. The customers didn't care that each week I had to pay for the papers and if they didn't pay me, then it came out of my own pocket. Yet, when you tried to drop a dead-beat customer, the newspaper's circulation department would put them right back on your route and threaten to take the route away from you if you refused to deliever to the dead-beats. When they added advertising circulars to the papers but didn't increase my pay, I quit. To this day, I don't buy newspapers.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-06-21, 09:50 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
My brother and I shared a 6-day a week afternoon paper route for a while. 80 papers in the suburbs. Subscription rate was 30 cents per week and the paperboy had to go door to door to collect it. Still surprised how many people didn't have 30 cents and told us to come back later. We used an old 20-inch Roadmaster bike with a big huge basket on the front. We would clear less than $15 per week. Seems like every customer wanted something special - paper inside their storm door, paper on the porch, something else. The subscription rate for that same paper is something like $60 a month now, prepaid to the paper company, and the "paperboy" drives his route in a car. The paper's gotten a whole lot thinner, too. No news is good news, I guess.
collecting used to suck. The first time I saw mortality up close was one of my subscribers dealing with a stroke. 12 years old is a tender age to see that stuff.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-06-21, 10:48 AM
cdoud

Bikes: Savage, Colson, Schwinn, Surly, Mitchell, Trek, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
loved my paper route

My family and another family split this huge mobile home park. They had one half, we had the other. The route was passed down from big brother to little brother in their family. In my family it went from me to my kid sister, and then to my little brother after that. My sister and I split our half and we rode out every morning, me on my bare bones huffy 20" and her on some beautiful green banana-seat 20" bike made by Murray maybe or something called the "Dill Pickle". The best part about this route was the porches were all just a few feet from the curb and the double-wides were stacked so close together that you could barely get the next paper out of the bag fast enough. Had to actually pedal a little slower than normal to get the throws paced correctly. Good times.
Likes For cdoud: