Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Lemond Acier Special

Old 09-12-21, 11:14 AM
Louiselight1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemond Acier Special

I have a Greg Lemond Acier Special hung up in my garage which I inherited from my Dad back in 2013. I happened to look online with a view to sell it as it’s been gathering dust and I don’t have the cycling bug unfortunately. I was shocked to see some of these bikes selling for £600-£1300.

I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the story about this bike and also give me a rough idea of how much it would be worth. My Dad loved this bike and so I want to find out more.

Thank you
Old 09-12-21, 02:28 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Hmmm.....Acier Special sounds like one of the Excell tubed GL or GLx bikes.

Does it look like this?

Or Maybe more like this?

Either way its sounds like one of the later Lemond bikes built by Billato and after the switch from Columbus tubing to go to Excell.
Old 09-12-21, 02:29 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Old 09-12-21, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by Louiselight1
I have a Greg Lemond Acier Special hung up in my garage which I inherited from my Dad back in 2013. I happened to look online with a view to sell it as it’s been gathering dust and I don’t have the cycling bug unfortunately. I was shocked to see some of these bikes selling for £600-£1300.

I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the story about this bike and also give me a rough idea of how much it would be worth. My Dad loved this bike and so I want to find out more.

Thank you
Hello sorry to hear about your father. Welcome to the forums. There are lots of Greg Lemond bikes but if your bike looks similar to the one James posted then you have what might be considered one of the good ones.

Yeah prices for classic bikes are all over the place, but let’s figure out what you have first.

doesit have the tubing decal like the example posted? Can you tell us what brand some of the components are?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-12-21, 11:16 PM
Louiselight1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello sorry to hear about your father. Welcome to the forums. There are lots of Greg Lemond bikes but if your bike looks similar to the one James posted then you have what might be considered one of the good ones.

Yeah prices for classic bikes are all over the place, but let’s figure out what you have first.

doesit have the tubing decal like the example posted? Can you tell us what brand some of the components are?
It is exactly the same as the first image James posted and has the same sticker detailing on the frame. I’m pretty sure the components would be the original ones as I don’t think Dad changed much on this bike as it wasn’t one he rode often. I will have a look at the brands, would it be mainly the gear set?
Old 09-13-21, 11:03 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
Condolences

It is exactly the same as the first image James posted and has the same sticker detailing on the frame. I’m pretty sure the components would be the original ones as I don’t think Dad changed much on this bike as it wasn’t one he rode often. I will have a look at the brands, would it be mainly the gear set?
Greetings:

The best way for you to mine the knowledge base here is for you to upload photographs of your late father's LeMond. You can create an Album in the "Gallery" section of this site, and someone will ferry them over to this thread.

Please take pictures of the "Drive Side' of the bike, the side with the gears and chain and derailleurs, and closeups of the individual components, and of the underside of the bottom bracket?
Old 09-17-21, 01:09 AM
Louiselight1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I have finally got round to looking at the components, the gear set is a ‘Campagnolo Exa drive system’ I hope that helps.
Old 09-18-21, 10:22 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand And One Words!

I have finally got round to looking at the components, the gear set is a ‘Campagnolo Exa drive system’ I hope that helps.
What would really help and garner the most interest would be Pictures!

Please take them from the Drive Side, the side with the gears and sprockets and derailleurs.

Even if you don't want to create an "Album" because too much work, if you even try to upload them to this thread The System will save them and I (or someone more spry) will retrieve them and post them here for you.

Easy Peasy?