Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 08-30-20, 05:13 PM
Drueke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Sports for her, 1979(?) Raleigh Sports for me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
OK, I'm in.

Joined this forum a couple days ago and this is my 1st post. Glad I found this thread and this forum.
I'm 76 and am just geting back on a bike after at least 40 years away. My girfriend (aka 'domestic partner') just celebrated a birthday so
she could be a member of this thread as well.. We just bought a couple Raleigh 3 speeds - hers is from '72 and mine from '79 I think. New Brooks B66 saddles for each (B66s for her) and I may change out the handle bars on mine to sit much more upright - something with a 9" rise.
There are lots of bike paths in Rhode Island including a very nice 10 miler here in Wakefield so we'll have some nice places to ride besides the roadways.
Sorry, no pics yet.
Looking forward to learning a lot from this forum.
Ray.
Likes For Drueke:
Old 08-30-20, 07:10 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Welcome

Originally Posted by Drueke
Joined this forum a couple days ago and this is my 1st post. Glad I found this thread and this forum.
I'm 76 and am just geting back on a bike after at least 40 years away. My girfriend (aka 'domestic partner') just celebrated a birthday so
she could be a member of this thread as well.. We just bought a couple Raleigh 3 speeds - hers is from '72 and mine from '79 I think. New Brooks B66 saddles for each (B66s for her) and I may change out the handle bars on mine to sit much more upright - something with a 9" rise.
There are lots of bike paths in Rhode Island including a very nice 10 miler here in Wakefield so we'll have some nice places to ride besides the roadways.
Sorry, no pics yet.
Ray.
Welcome to the forum Ray. Glad you’re back on the saddle again!
Likes For Irishred:
Old 08-31-20, 04:52 PM
7BikeTourist

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano, Seven Expat S, Trek 920

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 65 and had a TKR (right) two years ago. I've ridden with SPD mountain bike cleats for the past 20 years and after my knee replacement I have continued with cleats. I haven't encountered any pain but I've also had my cleats positioned on my shoes by a professional bike fitter. I think getting the cleats in the correct position and having the rest of your bike fit correctly goes a long way toward alleviating any pain. If it hurts the fit might not be quite right.
Likes For 7BikeTourist:
Old 09-03-20, 08:26 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
I'm 66. Been riding bikes since, well the late '50's. Riding is the only form of exercise I actually enjoy. When I was 12, I rode a 40 pound J.C.Higgins paperboy bike 65 miles in one day. Don't remember it being that big a deal. Still enjoy riding. Mostly on level ground these days. .
Later, in my 30's, I was pretty damn fast on the bike. Racing/drafting...all cool.
Still have 5 bikes, even an old Schwinn like when I was a kid. Keep riding, it gives you a better outlook on life, which is hard these days.
Likes For Shp4man:
Old 09-05-20, 06:09 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
The older I get, the faster I was.
Likes For bargeon:
Old 09-05-20, 06:17 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Just like greased lightning!
Old 09-10-20, 01:09 PM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I am a little uncertain about what to do. Being almost 70 years old I have ridden the same Specialized Roubaix bike over 13 years. It was custom-fitted to me along time ago and still rides well. My issue is that certain critical mechanicals and components are starting to wear out. My groupset set is Ultegra 6600 and finding replacement parts is quite difficult. I scour the internet and e-bay but that is even getting slim pickings. I did something stupid this week and now need a new triple shifter. So my dilemma is, do I give in and buy a new bike (Specialized Roubaix Comp or Di2) or keep trying to find antiquated parts and throwing money in my current bike which I am comfortable on? I only ride about 80-90 miles a week so I am having a difficult time with the justification for a great new bike and experience.
Old 09-10-20, 03:24 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by Senior Vagabond
I am a little uncertain about what to do. Being almost 70 years old I have ridden the same Specialized Roubaix bike over 13 years. It was custom-fitted to me along time ago and still rides well. My issue is that certain critical mechanicals and components are starting to wear out. My groupset set is Ultegra 6600 and finding replacement parts is quite difficult. I scour the internet and e-bay but that is even getting slim pickings. I did something stupid this week and now need a new triple shifter. So my dilemma is, do I give in and buy a new bike (Specialized Roubaix Comp or Di2) or keep trying to find antiquated parts and throwing money in my current bike which I am comfortable on? I only ride about 80-90 miles a week so I am having a difficult time with the justification for a great new bike and experience.
Personally, if you had a custom fitted frame, I would just upgrade components. Unless of course you want a new bike. Go to a knowledgeable bike shop and explain your dilemma. I'm sure they can steer you towards compatible components.
Old 09-10-20, 04:09 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Yep, what Ballenxj said: buy a new Ultegra Group (even a triple if you want) and have your local bike shop install. In this case it might be wise to actually buy the group from the local shop as opposed to buying it on-line as you may need them to tweak it a bit and it would be good to have that relationship.

Last edited by smoore; 09-11-20 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 10:20 PM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a 2008 Madone 5.5 with an Ultegra FC6603 triple and I can't find parts for it either. I may be forced to move to a compact double. Even if I could find chain rings to replace my worn 39 and 52 chainrings, I'm not sure I could find new brifters which are getting worn too.

A new bike would be fun, but expensive. I ride 140-180 miles a week typically, but still can't justify a new bike. My Madone is in great shape. Mostly. Except for those worn parts that OEM replacements are not available for. I don't want to hodge-podge a weird collection of parts together that would then likely be high maintenance to keep in tune. I want to stay OEM. I'm ok for now, but know I'll be reaching a point of decision not too far in the future.
Old 09-13-20, 07:41 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
My two cents - go for a new bike. You’ll absolutely love Di2 and I’m certain a bike can be made to fit you if you measure stack and reach, then get something comparable. I had the same problem with my 2012 Domane - I simply wore it out, and a new Di2 groupset is crazy expensive.

So I just bought a new Domane SLR 7 with Di2 and 32mm tubeless tires. Goofy smooth and so much fun to ride.

Hey, you’re still getting out there, hammering it out. You deserve to treat yourself!
Old 09-15-20, 05:34 AM
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What is the typical product life cycle of a new bicycle/groupset? I've heard that some cyclists sell their recent bike when a new groupset becomes available and get a new bike every so many years. I suppose that's one way to avoid terminal parts availability and minimize the cost hit of a new bike, but I don't know if that's a more expensive route than being forced to buy a new bike every 6 to 8 years or what.

If parts availability was not an issue, I could see bikes being well used for many years. But even if you could find new chainrings, you may not be able to find new brifters that work with the groupset should you need to replace one or both... so still an impasse.
Old 09-30-20, 07:02 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by speedlever
What is the typical product life cycle of a new bicycle/groupset? I've heard that some cyclists sell their recent bike when a new groupset becomes available and get a new bike every so many years. I suppose that's one way to avoid terminal parts availability and minimize the cost hit of a new bike, but I don't know if that's a more expensive route than being forced to buy a new bike every 6 to 8 years or what.

If parts availability was not an issue, I could see bikes being well used for many years. But even if you could find new chainrings, you may not be able to find new brifters that work with the groupset should you need to replace one or both... so still an impasse.
Perhaps you should check out some of the threads in the classic and vintage forums here. As an example; Show us your vintage Mt Bike?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ain-bikes.html
Or check the thread For the love of English three speeds, etc. You will find bicycles can last many decades or even century?
Old 10-03-20, 04:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
My rims, spokes, rear der, shifters (down tube), tires, tubes, cables, housing, chain, and seat are newly manufactured over the past 1-5 years. Frame, cranks, headset, BB, brake levers, stem, 'bars, seatpost are from the 1970s.

I can still buy new BBs, headsets, and a limited range of brand new chainrings.

Last edited by philbob57; 10-03-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 05:18 PM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
"YOU MUST BE 65+ TO POST ON THIS THREAD!"

Do I get a pass even though I'm not really 65 ?

I just tell everyone I am 21 with 49 yrs experience (70yrs old). When I can't do the math I know I am too old.
Old 10-30-20, 02:52 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Down hill with the wind I am a terror.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-20-20, 10:50 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Ok, well as of 2020 my wife Jo and I are both 65 so we can join in this "illustrious group" of riders!!! We are strictly recreational riders, riding "new to us" Electra Townie 21d's! We live and ride mostly in Colorado Springs, CO. on urban and rail trails, back streets, bike lanes, etc. and just enjoy riding! Thanks for letting is in the group and have a excellent day!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 11-20-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-20-20, 11:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
First post on this sub-forum but I qualified 2 years ago. I've been riding forever. Bought my first 10-speed when I was 13. (That was back when you had to use higher math to calculate how many speeds you had.) Been a bike racer, commuter forever, day rides, several 800 mile tours decades ago, a little gravel, Cycle Oregon a few times. Love hills. Not super fast uphill but can climb like a mountain goat, ie forever. And I am equally beautiful. But my real love is riding fix gears on the road (with brakes; all proper road bikes). My logo photo was taken going up a 14% grade on Cycle Oregon on the fix gear. In my element completely! And it was so hard it hurt to touch my forearms with soap when I got to camp and showered.

I"m slowing down, but the plan is to ride as long as my mom. (She hung up the wheels at 86.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-22-20, 08:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Drueke
Sorry, no pics yet.
Ray.
Ray - only one post. You OK? ride on.

need to watch out for each other at this age.
Old 11-29-20, 11:16 PM
PacoG

Bikes: Road, and Mountain bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello Bike Forums I am 70 years old, I have a back problem because I was attended for surgery 2 years ago. My question is: should I respect medical recomendation to abandon bike rides because I have a pain in my back that is hearting my bones and also the neck, My passion is cycling and I cannot leave it, so I am in the middle of a way of handling my life and future, because I cant leave the bycicle since I ve been riding my whole life. Should I attend the recomendation or not. Yhanks for reading my post.
Likes For PacoG:
Old 11-30-20, 05:37 PM
Merrimac

Bikes: Road, carbon, 32mm tires

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 11 Posts
PacoG, I hear you. Why does your doctor say you have to stop riding? Is it because of the danger of crashing? Or would it be OK for you to ride on low-risk trails and roads where the likelihood of crashing is small? I'm 73 years old, with pain all over my body. But the cycling actually reduces the pain. I go on safe roads, local traffic only, with an average speed of 12 to 13 miles per hour (19–21 kph). Works for me. Doctor says to keep it up.
Old 11-30-20, 05:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
@PacoG - given your cycling history, you need a 2nd opinion.

Too little info for stranger (me) to make a recco.
I would not ride if there was pain in an old injury location.
Old 12-01-20, 09:19 AM
marcoguzm

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PacoG
Hello Bike Forums I am 70 years old, I have a back problem because I was attended for surgery 2 years ago. My question is: should I respect medical recomendation to abandon bike rides because I have a pain in my back that is hearting my bones and also the neck, My passion is cycling and I cannot leave it, so I am in the middle of a way of handling my life and future, because I cant leave the bycicle since I ve been riding my whole life. Should I attend the recomendation or not. Yhanks for reading my post.
Paco:
I'm sorry you can't cycle due to a medical recommendation. I also live in Mexico City, I'm 67, a physician, and an avid cyclist. In the 90's I used to compete in MTB. Nowadays, I train for health reasons. Last year, I began going to Ajusco mountain again, and the first time I tried, I could only make 6 km of the 20 km to the top, which is 3,618 mt high (11,870 feet). I had to stop because I was exhausted and felt a lower back pain. I kept trying and in some more weeks I got to the top.
There are many things to consider in a bike: frame sizing, saddle construction and position, stem length and level, geometry. A professional may help you and you may improve from your back problem. Also, the frame material affects the quality of the ride. Last year, I got a Linskey titanium frame, which is a forgiving material. Good steel frames can also help to ameliorate road vibrations. A good physiotherapist can make wonders in back pains.
Good luck,
Marco.
Old 12-01-20, 09:21 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
67 years old like most here I have been riding bike since a kid. My grand parents lived next to a bike shop so I spent many hours lusting over the bikes. I rode with the local bike club as a ride captain for years. I stoped cycling for a number of years due to working for a living and life retired in 2019 and this year sold our second car that I drove to work and bought a Kickr bike. I ride it every morning. I am up to an hour right now. My wife’s health limits my out door riding. I still ride my Peugeot with the 1985 super record group set. Which to my surprise is vintage now My dad how is 91 still rides everyday. I bought him a tricycle that he rides around his patio home community daily. It’s all about keeping moving. Glad to be getting back into to shape again. It gives you so much energy.
Old 12-02-20, 09:00 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I went searching for some 10 speed Simano/SRAM parts recently and I was shocked with no one carrying anything other than chains. I was finally able to find some chain rings and replaced my SRAM red 50 and 34. I also needed an 11-32 lightweight cassette and finally found one made by an European company. Next time I might be facing a whole grouppo change. I’m surprised how fast they’ve abandoned 10 sp.

All this was going on while I was trying to replace my 2009 Campy super record 11sp chain rings.Campy stopped making the 2009 stuff in 2011 and the newer parts weren’t compatible. I figured out a solution but had to spend an extra $50 just for different chain ring bolts. Frustrating!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.