Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 09-07-10, 07:46 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bikedued, I like those handlebars on there. Are they Nitto Albatross?
Old 09-07-10, 07:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
My Super Course and I will ride with you guys in Rockland.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-08-10, 07:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't have a Super Course, but have been thinking of getting one, so let me get everyone's opinion. I'm thinking of an early 70's one, straight gauge tubing. The question is, is such a beast well suited to randonneuring?

What would you pay for a frame and fork, assuming it's exactly the size you want, with trashed paint?
Old 09-08-10, 08:10 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I don't have a Super Course, but have been thinking of getting one, so let me get everyone's opinion. I'm thinking of an early 70's one, straight gauge tubing. The question is, is such a beast well suited to randonneuring?

What would you pay for a frame and fork, assuming it's exactly the size you want, with trashed paint?
My current '72 came to me in exchange for a new Brooks B17 (from a friend who bought it on CL for $50). I've had a few pass through the herd, and paid anywhere from $50 to $150 (with a couple of fluke freebies), except for my first one, a '77, which I paid $200 for. That's for a complete bike.

Neal
Old 09-08-10, 09:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I got mine out of the trash. I ended up replacing everything on it except the headset. The previous owner had put on a cartridge BB, and I still have that.

They don't have a large market value, but they're nice anyway, so I could imagine spending $50 on a frame and fork. But I'm a frugal (cheap) collector, so the prices I'm willing to pay are low.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-08-10, 09:12 AM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I managed to snag my (nearly) all original 1977 for 50 bucks. Given how much I enjoy it I'd put it's worth at much higher.
Old 09-08-10, 09:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by sauze
I managed to snag my (nearly) all original 1977 for 50 bucks. Given how much I enjoy it I'd put it's worth at much higher.
Yeah, if you price it by utility or fun, you could justify a lot of money for it.

The higher models are not as common but might be worth waiting for, especially if you're committed to spending money. Oddly enough, the next one up, the Gran Sport, seems to be the rarest. That one is 100% 531 double butted (except for forks and stays, which don't come in double butted). But most years of the Gran Sport had stamped dropouts without a derailleur hanger, like the Super Course. Both require very long reach brakes.

The Competition and International may or may not require very long reach brakes, and they have forged dropouts.

And I think all four of these models have pretty much the same magical geometry. I can ride it slowly and be comfortable, and I can ride it fast. When I ride it fast, it is responsive, and it takes high speed turns with aplomb. Racing bikes are generally uncomfortable at low speed, so this is a great contrast. The Super Course would also make a good loaded touring bike.

Old 09-08-10, 10:16 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

I think I paid 125 for mine 2 years ago. At the time it had suntour Vx components and Normandy Hubs laced to Super Champion Rims. It was rideable at the time of purchase...I rode it around for a test ride before I bought it.

Rudi, if you're interested in spending some quality time with a Super Course would you want to borrow mine for a bit? I'll swap ya for your recumbent for a couple of weeks
Old 09-08-10, 10:19 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tom, I agree completely about the way the Super Course feels in turns at high speed. Planted.

I would love to have my current Super Course set up simply moved over to an International though...I've really got a thing for an International, british workmanship and all
Old 09-08-10, 10:36 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
I have a 73 Grand Sports with Reynolds 531 frame and forks, and several early 70's SC's with straight Reynolds frames. IMO, the ride is indistinguishable, though I do prefer the splayed randonneur bars on the GS.
Old 09-08-10, 10:54 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Rudi, if you're interested in spending some quality time with a Super Course would you want to borrow mine for a bit? I'll swap ya for your recumbent for a couple of weeks
Oh, well, thanks! But the inspiration behind this venture is primarily size. I want to try a bigger frame, to compensate for the shorter cranks I prefer. As to the 'bent, we'll have to get together out on Long Island sometime. I haven't ridden it in NJ yet.
Old 09-08-10, 01:29 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
.....I could imagine spending $50 on a frame and fork. But I'm a frugal (cheap) collector, so the prices I'm willing to pay are low.
I actually found my beat up '71 frame and fork (fork had been spray painted) for $20 on CL. Its a great bike.
Old 09-08-10, 01:40 PM
bigted

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1983 Raleigh SuperCourse

Here's my 1983 Raleigh SuperCourse, I have upgraded the wheels to 700c and it now has a shimano 9speed cassette in the back. also replace the bars with Salsa Bell Laps.

amazingly the rear derailer (suntour arx) works perfectly with the nine speed cassette (with some adjustment)

future upgrades include bar end shifters
Old 09-08-10, 01:48 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A seller on my local buy-n-sell has a green '73 SC with Nervex lugs, complete bike, except for a replaced cheap saddle, asking $700 !! but open to offers.
I think he may have done some ebay checking and found a comparable BIN at $700. That bike didn't make a bid.

What's the highest I should offer in todays market?

This isn't a vintage riding town, low value on used bikes, and I would have convert quite a lot of this bike to make it my rider.
Old 09-08-10, 02:01 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
$100 if it needs work IMHO.
Old 09-08-10, 02:58 PM
David Newton
Wood

Thanks, actually the bike is complete & in good shape, but steel wheels, Simplex f & r dr's, cottered cranks, all the usual original '73 stuff.
That's what I meant by "convert", I'd want alloy wheels, crank, seat.
I just want the frame and a few bits.
Maybe $150. I doubt he'd drop that far.
Old 09-08-10, 03:08 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
yeah if its rideable I wouldn't say 150 was awfully out of line....I agree though, I'd want to at least upgrade the wheels and derailleurs pretty much right away.

I rode mine with the original steel cottered cranks for a while and the only real advantage I got from going to a square taper crankset was gear range.
Old 09-08-10, 03:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Steel wheels would mean the wheels were downgraded. I don't think the Super Course ever came with steel rims.

bigted, welcome to bikeforums! Thank you for showing us your Super Course. Yours is very different but also a very worthy bike. The Super Courses from the 70's were a "sport touring" geometry, and I think yours might be a bit more racing oriented.

Old 09-08-10, 04:42 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Tom is correct - the SC always came with good quality Alloy rims.

Three-quarters of the Super Courses in my stable have alloy square drive Shimano/Ultegra or DA cranks, and frankly I don't think it makes much difference, aside from a little weight savings. (And ease of maintenance, if you're unfamiliar with doing cottered cranks, though that problem is resolved with the 1st one you service yourself).

It sort of makes sense to upgrade the DRs' or at least replace the Pulley wheels and shifters if you are running Simplex Prestige.
- I like Suntour Vx luxe, or Shimano Light Action DR's, and Suntour Power Shift DT shifters.
I recently concluded that if you happen to have a Green SC, then a brass bell is mandatory equipment as well.

PS David Newton - $700 is too much for a '73 SC, but the prices for them go all over the map, some going for pennies, and others for several hundred dollars. If you can find a clean one in-between, consider yourself lucky: It will quickly become a favorite ride, no matter what other bikes you have hanging in you garage.
Old 09-08-10, 07:35 PM
David Newton
Wood

I thought the 73 SC was all DB-531, I'm holding out for an International I guess.
My Bridgestone 300 will do till then.
Old 09-08-10, 07:51 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I have had bad experiences with GT luxe, or almost anything that bears a resemblance. In my experience it's hard to find one with good parallelogram pins, which when worn, cause up to 1/2" of side to side lateral movement at the lower jockey gear/wheel. It makes for sloppy
gear grinding shifts unless you are very precise with the lever. Maybe it's not the pins themselves, but the parallelogram parts that wear out around the pins. I went through five on one bike, trying to find a good one. Suntour gear is awesome when it's in great condition, but like anything will get sloppy with age.,,,,BD
Old 09-08-10, 07:55 PM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by David Newton
I thought the 73 SC was all DB-531, I'm holding out for an International I guess.
My Bridgestone 300 will do till then.
Competitions are butted, and the SC in the later 70's models are butted. The SC also went to forged drops in there somewhere, although I don't know the exact year. I would swear that the top tube on my Competition is plain gauge though. All the main frame tubes will ping when thumped. The top tube, it sounds thick and dead.,,,,BD
Old 09-08-10, 08:35 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
cool, even to swap for 5-10 miles on a ride is enough to get a feel for it.

I'm not sure where you are, I just figure you're either in Rockland or Westchester County based on your location

I'm sure we could put a route together leaving from something like Spring Valley perhaps. Shoot out a date sometime...even on short notice...i'd bet there's another Super Course owner or two in the area that would care to ride as well.
I'm actually in Spring Valley. Maybe Saturday the 18th? Or maybe something around the Brooklyn Jumble this weekend? Fri and Sat are kind of shot. This family thing makes the schedule complicated.
Old 09-08-10, 08:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

We could pull your kids in trailers. Do you have one? I have one.

When my daughters were little, I would put them in the trailer so I could get my ride in. I felt guilty, mostly because I've developed a very good habit of taking on guilt unnecessarily. But I was worried that they'd get bored. But they never did. They said that the bike went faster than the car. I guess it feels that way because (1) it's lower and (2) it has no suspension. But it was fun for them!

How many little ones do you have?

My daughters are 21 and 18 now. I'll be an empty nester in nine days. Eek.

Old 09-08-10, 10:35 PM
Bikedued

bikedued, I like those handlebars on there. Are they Nitto Albatross?
Actually they're Nashbar Moustache bars. Made of steel, with that Giant-esque handlebar plating. Looks kind of like alloy, but will allow rust
to start. I originally bought them for my blue Schwinn SS , then they spent a few weeks on the Nishiki International single speed, then after that I kind of had them stored away. Now that I found the right size frame to use them on, I am finding them really comfortable. The Campy levers seem kind of weak, but I guess they were never meant to be used with Weinmann centerpulls, lol.,,,,BD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.