Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

clipless or two sided?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

clipless or two sided?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 01:57 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
clipless or two sided?

So I'm thinking about finally making the plunge and switching from old mountain bike clipped pedals to clipless. Anyway, should I go with full on clipless like SPD M520's or the two sided pedals with the platform on one side? If I put them on myself, I'm going to need a pedal wrench too, right?
Old 08-24-10, 02:08 PM
asforme

Bikes: 2008 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc with slicks until I get a road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a noobie to clipless, I love the M520s. Easy to clip in and out but still solid with the retention just one click shy of as loose as possible. I installed them myself with no pedal wrench. I think it's 14mm, but any standard wrench will do, you don't even need to get them that tight, they will tighten as you pedal. Just be careful not to cross thread them, grease the threads and remember that the left pedal threads backwards.
Old 08-24-10, 03:00 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A pedal wrench is 15 mm. If your pedals are tight, you will need a wrench that is strong enough to do the job and allows you to develop enough leverage... Regular mechanics tools like adjustable wrenches and regular wrenches are often too wide (thick) to fit. A 15mm cone wrench will fit but is easily bent out of shape if the pedal is tight.

Make sure you are turning the pedal axle in the correct direction to take the pedal off. When facing the bike, put the wrench on the pedal axle and turn it towards the back of the bike. This rule works on both the left and right side of the bike.

I use the pedals that are clipless SPD on one side and regular platform on the other. I seldom use the platform side, but it is nice to have when I'm not wearing my cycling shoes.
Old 08-24-10, 03:15 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Look at the pedal when you buy it some have an allen wrench fitting on the axle. You can tighten them with an allen wrench instead of pedal wrench. a few of shimano spd pedals don't have flats for the pedal wrench like the M770 or M970.
Old 08-24-10, 03:59 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the PDm324's on my "touring" bike. I like 'em a lot. I got them to ride either way but have never ridden just platforms (at least that I remember)
There is no problem with weighting so I dont have to fidget with them to find the clips. Highly recommended.
Old 08-24-10, 04:05 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
50/50 pedals are nice if you find that you'd like to ride in regular shoes or sandals and have a wider platform which can greatly increase foot comfort if you wear a softer cycling shoe.

You don't have to gorrilla the pedal on but they need to be tight (and they will self tighten).... the reason a pedal wrench is long as you sometimes need immense leverage to get frozen pedals off a bike.

Make sure you grease the pedal threads and I am in the habit of taking my pedals off whenever I do any tune up and will re-grease the threads... they are never hard to remove when you do this.
Old 08-24-10, 05:30 PM
AaronJohnTurner

Bikes: 2010 Trek Vlaencia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of grease do you use for things like this? I'm looking for a general purpose one I can use on pedals, seat post, bolts, etc.
Old 08-24-10, 05:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Aaron - bearing grease works on more things than just bearings.

You can use anti seize compounds but they cost a lot more.

If all you have is motor oil, use that and remember whenever you grease / lube threads it will enable you to torque them down with more force so be careful when you do this to small fittings.
Old 08-24-10, 05:41 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I noticed that Nashbar has a new Rodeo 2 pedal that has SPD on one side and a semi-platform on the other - the original Rodeo had a plain cage on the non-SPD side.
Old 08-24-10, 05:51 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Anyway, should I go with full on clipless like SPD M520's or the two sided pedals
Oh my gosh, M520's are no longer two sided?
Old 08-24-10, 06:22 PM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I noticed that Nashbar has a new Rodeo 2 pedal that has SPD on one side and a semi-platform on the other - the original Rodeo had a plain cage on the non-SPD side.
I have the Nashbar SOHO's on my SS and I like them too... I've actually used the platform on them too. Don't know much about the Rodeo (except that I think it is more or less the same as the PD-M324's) but the SOHO's are great.
Old 08-24-10, 07:10 PM
asforme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
They were when I bought them from my LBS last week.

Also, I haven't done this for bikes, but in general if your normal wrench isn't long enough to get good leverage, a piece of pipe over the wrench works nicely.
Old 08-24-10, 08:21 PM
AaronJohnTurner

Bikes: 2010 Trek Vlaencia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Aha I knew what you were getting at.
Old 08-24-10, 08:23 PM
himespau 

sorry, I meant pedals that had two different things (one on each side - platform on one and clipless on the other). My bad. I know m520s have the same thing on both side.
Old 08-24-10, 08:25 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronjohnturner
aha i knew what you were getting at.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 08-24-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 08:43 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I have a bike with SPD X platform. If they ever fail, I will get SPD X SPD (just to be clear). I almost never ride without cycling shoes, and the few short trips I've made on the other bike with full SPD wearing street shoes hasn't been a problem.
Old 08-24-10, 08:49 PM
LeftinFlint

Bikes: '12 C-dale HT; '89 C-dale sr300; Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the SPD/Platform pedals on my commuter and love them. My work commute is so short it isn't worth changing shoes, but when I do a longer ride, the clipless are great. On my new-to-road bike, I'll be putting just clipless because I don't think I'll be using it for my commute or errands or anything other than going to long rides. It depends on what you do with your bike and how much.
Old 08-25-10, 05:20 AM
himespau 

with the spd x platform pedals (I like that designation to tell them apart) how much of the time do they flip on you? With my current pedals, the cages are heavy enough that at least 2/3 of the time they flip over when I'm stopped and it's a pain in traffic to pedal on the opposite side through the intersection and then try to flip it over so I can put my foot back in the cage with cars all around me (basically have to work up to a decent speed so I can coast for a little bit to do that while not slowing down enough to piss off the cars behind me if I've taken the lane and do it without looking down to see what side I have up to look out for potholes/pedestrians jumping out into traffic).
Old 08-25-10, 08:29 AM
himespau 

What about a caged clip-in clipless pedal (I think that's the term) like SPD M424? Would that fit my needs better? I could clip in or not on either side without having to feel for the right side. Given that I commute (and do all my riding) on an old lbs mongoose hard tail mountain bike with slicks, drops, fenders, and a rack that weighs an absolute ton, the fact that those pedals are heavier doesn't bother me. Are those as good of quality? I just see the clipless x clipless or clipless x platform recommended but never these. Is there a reason?
Old 08-25-10, 08:37 AM
asforme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a caged clip-in clipless pedal (I think that's the term) like SPD M424? Would that fit my needs better? I could clip in or not on either side without having to feel for the right side. Given that I commute (and do all my riding) on an old lbs mongoose hard tail mountain bike with slicks, drops, fenders, and a rack that weighs an absolute ton, the fact that those pedals are heavier doesn't bother me. Are those as good of quality? I just see the clipless x clipless or clipless x platform recommended but never these. Is there a reason?
Depends on your shoes. I had to return a pair of similar pedals because the tread on my MTB shoes hit the platform preventing the shoes from clipping in.
Old 08-25-10, 08:47 AM
himespau 

Good to know. May I ask what kind of shoes you have?
Old 08-25-10, 11:33 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I am assuming that you mean something similar to these

Forte pedals

I don't think that I would like toe clips on the bottom when I am using the spds, it leaves the clips too close to the ground for cornering and may snag on something causing a crash.

I have the forte brand and feel that they are harder to find the attachment point than a standard pair of spd pedals.
Old 08-25-10, 12:01 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I am assuming that you mean something similar to these

Forte pedals
Thanks for the note about the forte pedals. I'd looked at those as a cheaper option. In my last post, I was actually referring to these, which have a resin area around the clipless part that allow you to use regular shoes on either side as it just pushes the clipless mechanism down or something.