Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

complete newbie can't get pedal off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 08:18 PM
pureland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have had my road bike about a year now and am thinking about upgrading my pedals. The bike has Shimano pd-r540 pedals. I am trying to remove them but they won't budge. Should I be using the hex wrench which fits in the hole on the axle, or just a bike wrench, or both? They have never been removed since I bought the bike, so I know they might be tight, but I don't want to force it too much. Thanks!
Old 06-15-13, 08:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You realize the Left pedal is left hand threaded correct?

Open end pedal wrenches are about 4mm thick with a 15mm opening and a foot long
if there is an allen hex socket you may need a rather long Allen wrench, or an allen bit in a socket wrench.
Old 06-15-13, 09:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Place your chain on the large ring before you put max force on any pedal wrench, far better to punch the chain links then the ring's teeth. Andy.
Old 06-15-13, 10:04 PM
Inertiaman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've all been there. Pedals can be difficult sometimes.

The R540 pedals have wrench flats on them, so I suggest that you use them, instead of the hex fitting inside the axle. Either approach is OK, but I find it easier to get leverage on an open-ended wrench than a hex tool (even if on a ratchet), mostly because you aren't working "behind" the crank arm where it can be tough to get positioned (and you don't have to think "opposite" for the direction to pull the wrench).

Ideally use a genuine pedal wrench, which is really just a 15mm open end wrench with two distinguishing features: a somewhat thinner profile (to fit into the narrow faces on the pedal), and a longer arm (for leverage). Lacking that, if you have a 15mm wrench thin enough to get onto the pedal faces, you can always add leverage with a pipe slid over the wrench.

Andrew's advice to put the chain on the large ring is good advice -- I know I've drawn blood when I've skipped that step and the wrench finally responds to force on the drive side!

Left side is left threaded as noted by fietsbob, so any effort may have made there assuming conventional threads only tightened it further.

Lastly, it can help to get the opposite side crank is a good position for opposing the wrench. Hence, the first pedal tends to come off easiest, since you can step on the opposite side pedal to counter your wrench. But once the first pedal is off, no more pedal to step on for opposing your second effort.
Old 06-15-13, 10:08 PM
byrd48

Bikes: Dave Kirk Custom, Clockwork Bikes Custom, Batavus Course Specialized HardRock x2 Trek 700 MultiTrack 1991 Trek 950 SingleTrack. Miyata Three Ten

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The easy rule of thumb is that if the handle of the wrench is pointing up, you turn it towards the rear of the bike, both sides work that way. It's usually easier to position the handle of the wrench close to the crank arm, then wrap your hands around the wrench and crank arm to break it loose. If that does not work, hold the opposite pedal for leverage.
Old 06-15-13, 10:11 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Inertiaman
We've all been there. Pedals can be difficult sometimes.

The R540 pedals have wrench flats on them, so I suggest that you use them, instead of the hex fitting inside the axle. Either approach is OK, but I find it easier to get leverage on an open-ended wrench than a hex tool (even if on a ratchet), mostly because you aren't working "behind" the crank arm where it can be tough to get positioned (and you don't have to think "opposite" for the direction to pull the wrench).

Ideally use a genuine pedal wrench, which is really just a 15mm open end wrench with two distinguishing features: a somewhat thinner profile (to fit into the narrow faces on the pedal), and a longer arm (for leverage). Lacking that, if you have a 15mm wrench thin enough to get onto the pedal faces, you can always add leverage with a pipe slid over the wrench.

Andrew's advice to put the chain on the large ring is good advice -- I know I've drawn blood when I've skipped that step and the wrench finally responds to force on the drive side!

Left side is left threaded as noted by fietsbob, so any effort may have made there assuming conventional threads only tightened it further.

Lastly, it can help to get the opposite side crank is a good position for opposing the wrench. Hence, the first pedal tends to come off easiest, since you can step on the opposite side pedal to counter your wrench. But once the first pedal is off, no more pedal to step on for opposing your second effort.
Everything Inertiaman said, then grease the threads well on re-installation. I always take my pedals off, regrease and re-install every six months or so. Same with my seatposts. Just as a matter of habit.
Old 06-15-13, 10:25 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Assumimg you succeed, be carefull when you reattach the pedals. It's easy to get them started a bit crooked, and damage the threads.
Old 06-15-13, 11:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
yea watch those greasy puncture wounds , chain on the big ring..

far better to punch the chain links then the ring's teeth. Andy.
Old 06-16-13, 01:07 AM
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you can step on the wrench too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2HvLpCzpAo&t=4m40s
Just be careful, hold on tightly to the brake lever and to the wall (or better yet, a pole) so you don't go flying.
Old 06-16-13, 06:19 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Place your chain on the large ring before you put max force on any pedal wrench, far better to punch the chain links then the ring's teeth. Andy.
Great tip
Old 06-16-13, 06:25 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I've had good luck sometime by using a Park pedal wrench (the one with two slots at different angles) and picking the point where it creates a narrow angle between the wrench and the crank. Hold the opposite pedal and apply force to the wrench. This way you are pulling back toward the crank axis rather than extending the effective length of the crank making hit harder to keep the crank from rotating, thus wasting energy. Reduced chance of busting knuckles this way as well.
Old 06-16-13, 07:46 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turtle Speed's video is an interesting approach.
Old 06-16-13, 08:14 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarabelle
Turtle Speed's video is an interesting approach.
If you don't have the wrong tool it's fine to improvise, but one should only use an adjustable wrench for that kind of very tight fastener if no other option exists, as it is likely to slip, which will could damage the flats or cause an injury in addition to being hard on the tool.
Old 06-16-13, 08:30 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I could have used that advice many years ago
Old 06-17-13, 07:18 AM
pureland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys, great advice from all. I have got my bike wrench now and am ready to start with all those upgrades I don't really need but I think will be cool!