Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Western Express - are there ANY services between towns in Nevada and Western Utah?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Western Express - are there ANY services between towns in Nevada and Western Utah?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 11:56 AM
suburbanbeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. First of all, I'm sorry for posting a few questions about the same trip, but these concerns are kind of distinct from one another.

Anyway, my question this time is fairly specific. In this section of the ACA Western Express route, are there ANY service between cities? In this section (Cedar City, UT to Fallon, NV), the distance between cities is between 60 and 75 miles.

Can anyone that has ridden this route let me know if I could expect ANYTHING between these points? Truck stops, camp grounds, even creeks/rivers would be helpful. Basically, we were hoping to be able to do this in July, but if it means having to ride 75 miles with only the water that we have, we might decide to go north instead.

Thanks much!

Old 03-27-14, 01:17 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've ridden it a number of times on my motorcycle and would be surprised if there is not at least one or more places that water will be difficult to find for a span of 60-70 miles. i'm not counting the odd spotting of a ranch four or five miles off a dirt road where one MIGHT get water.

isn't that an ACA map? and don't they show water sources?

if you decide to chance it, you might think about investing in a black marker, so that in a real emergency you can write "I NEED WATER, NOW" on the front of your T-shirt and lay in the road.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 03-27-14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 01:23 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Are you sure you are not from EAST Chester, Penna?

From a previous post:

Usually there's not much water on the highway - sometimes a few puddles after a storm.
I've done U.S. 50 a couple of times - actually it's not the "Loneliest Road" - U.S. 6 is emptier.
What about water?

From Fallon, Nevada to Milford, Utah there are some long empty stretches - especially for city folk.
Here's a rundown on places with water:
>>Fallon
Salt Wells House of Ill-Repute (I'm sure they have water, but I didn't stop in.) Now closed.
Sand Mountain Campground (lots of dune buggies and ATVs - yuchh!)
Middlegate Store and Campground (At the junction of US 50 and NV 361)
Cold Springs (Last time I was thru - the owner had just died - don't know if it's reopened.)
[Nothing on the Carroll Summit Alternate - but there is a ranch halfway on the big curve.]
>>Austin
Scott Summit Campground (Last time thru had no water, but car campers should give you some.) (Water fixed.)
Hickison Petroglyphs (No water, if there are other visitors, you cam mooch some water.)
>>Eureka
Store at Jct of NV 892 (Closed)
Illipah Reservoir (Again, no water, but you should be able to beg some.)
>>Ely
Major's Place (Reopened a couple of years ago - great view from front porch!)
>>Baker
Garrison (Little store is closed - anyone at home will give you water.)
Jct of Pine Valley Road (Abandoned ranch house on NE corner - usually has gravity well running in front.) **Fabulous, cool water.
>>Milford

Here are other ideas for water - -
1. I carry four tall water bottles - two on the drop bar, two in my panniers. I keep a wet sock on my drop bar bottles to keep the water cold.
2. Whenever you see a road crew or utility crew working - stop and ask for water. They always have big coolers and seem to like the chance to take a break and chat.
3. Stop at the pull-outs on the top of the passes. You'll probably want to, anyway. Hang around for 10 or 15 minutes. Tourists often stop for photos or personal needs. Ask for water.
4. If you see a windmill close to the road, it will usually be pumping water for cattle. No, don't dip your bottle in the cow tank - put it under the pipe as cool, fresh water comes up from the well.
5. As a last resort - hold a water bottle outstretched as cars comes by.
You should do 2, 3, 4,and 5 BEFORE you run out of water.

Have a good trip - - J

Last edited by jamawani; 03-27-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 12:42 PM
suburbanbeat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both, very much. Huey - to answer your question, I haven't gotten the ACA maps yet, because I wanted to ask if this was even possible first. It sounds like it is, so my next step is going to be getting those maps.

Jamawani - your detailed information is incredibly helpful. I'll do some research on these and see if I can't post an update on some of these services. Regardless, it's good to know that there are indeed options.

My hope is that by leaving early (i.e. 5 AM) and finishing no later than noon, we'll be able to bang out those 60-70 mile stretches in a single morning, and thus avoid running out of water in the first place. But if we do, it's reassuring to know that there are several alternatives. I'm feeling much better about doing this.

Again, if anyone that has done this ride, especially in June-July-August, please add your thoughts as to the route's feasibility and precautions to take.

Originally Posted by jamawani
Are you sure you are not from EAST Chester, Penna?

From a previous post:

Usually there's not much water on the highway - sometimes a few puddles after a storm.
I've done U.S. 50 a couple of times - actually it's not the "Loneliest Road" - U.S. 6 is emptier.
What about water?

From Fallon, Nevada to Milford, Utah there are some long empty stretches - especially for city folk.
Here's a rundown on places with water:
>>Fallon
Salt Wells House of Ill-Repute (I'm sure they have water, but I didn't stop in.) Now closed.
Sand Mountain Campground (lots of dune buggies and ATVs - yuchh!)
Middlegate Store and Campground (At the junction of US 50 and NV 361)
Cold Springs (Last time I was thru - the owner had just died - don't know if it's reopened.)
[Nothing on the Carroll Summit Alternate - but there is a ranch halfway on the big curve.]
>>Austin
Scott Summit Campground (Last time thru had no water, but car campers should give you some.) (Water fixed.)
Hickison Petroglyphs (No water, if there are other visitors, you cam mooch some water.)
>>Eureka
Store at Jct of NV 892 (Closed)
Illipah Reservoir (Again, no water, but you should be able to beg some.)
>>Ely
Major's Place (Reopened a couple of years ago - great view from front porch!)
>>Baker
Garrison (Little store is closed - anyone at home will give you water.)
Jct of Pine Valley Road (Abandoned ranch house on NE corner - usually has gravity well running in front.) **Fabulous, cool water.
>>Milford

Here are other ideas for water - -
1. I carry four tall water bottles - two on the drop bar, two in my panniers. I keep a wet sock on my drop bar bottles to keep the water cold.
2. Whenever you see a road crew or utility crew working - stop and ask for water. They always have big coolers and seem to like the chance to take a break and chat.
3. Stop at the pull-outs on the top of the passes. You'll probably want to, anyway. Hang around for 10 or 15 minutes. Tourists often stop for photos or personal needs. Ask for water.
4. If you see a windmill close to the road, it will usually be pumping water for cattle. No, don't dip your bottle in the cow tank - put it under the pipe as cool, fresh water comes up from the well.
5. As a last resort - hold a water bottle outstretched as cars comes by.
You should do 2, 3, 4,and 5 BEFORE you run out of water.

Have a good trip - - J
Old 03-29-14, 01:10 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
I've done this route twice. Once this year Epilogue | A bicycle ride across Africa and once in 2002: Bicycling Reno to Salt Lake City, via US 50, "the Loneliest Road".

Cold Springs was open this year. My 2002 trip was at end of June and it did get warm on some afternoons - so starting early is definitely a good idea. The most challenging part in 2002 trip was Fallon to Austin so this year, I split this into two days with a stop in Middle Gate which made it a fair amount easier. The biggest gap I had both times was Eureka to Ely.

As far as water goes, I put some extra bottles and bags in my panniers and that seems to work well. While this route claims to be a "loneliest road", I've definitely seen more remote places - in which case I just added more water into my panniers; highest amount was ~18 liters in Northern parts of WA, Australia.
Old 03-21-15, 06:45 PM
woodysroad

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, '93 Diamondback Outlook, '94 Diamondback Outlook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple years ago I started in Oklahoma City and went to Brunswick, GA and then back across to Oregon coast, and planned to then turn back to Oklahoma City. I hurt my shoulder and had to stop in Fallon and lease a car to Amarillo, TX, then rode from there to Oklahoma City. That is all to say I would trust what Jamawani said above. I drove the route you describe, looking at it as if I were on my bike, which was on the rear of the car. I passed a lot of touring cyclists too. I can only remember services in Middle Gate (which Jamawani had described in a reply to my question in this forum), Austin, Eureka, Ely, Garrison, Milford, Minersville, and Cedar City. Also, Jamawani described a road in West Central Nebraska (Cumro Road) and gave directions, which I followed several months later and they were very on target. So, based on my experiences in following suggestions from that particular person, you can depend on them. Now that I've publicly said that, don't know if I would again because I could easily be duped, as the first time around they were so reliable
Old 03-21-15, 09:07 PM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't do exactly that route, but some friends and I just finished a tour north of where you're planning, on the Pony Express Trail from Wendover to SLC. There was almost no water on that entire route - just one place in 200 miles - but we found out about it by calling the BLM. I'm guessing most of what you're passing through is BLM land, so give them a call: they'll know better than most where you can count on water and where you can't and they'll have been out there recently.

You might also think of when you'll be passing through places. Try to hit up small "towns" in the morning while there are still people home. If we had passed through Callao half an hour later, we would have missed everyone and been just absolutely screwed.
Old 03-21-15, 10:57 PM
kpfeif

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about water but here's a song about Ely, NV. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2uXy7KPE1o
Old 03-22-15, 08:15 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just out at Middlegate yesterday and can assure you that the little store there is still open. I wouldn't plan on finding water in between the towns listed.

Your plan to start early is the best bet. You'd want to do that to avoid the wind, also.
Old 03-23-15, 03:02 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Summer in Nevada and western Utah = dead from dehydration. You will need to carry 5 or more liters of water per person. Much of the water on the route is not drinkable. Be prepared.

I have driven US50 a couple of times; water and fuel are very scarce.
Old 03-23-15, 03:21 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
July could be very hot. A group that I rode with on part of their tour opted to use a 'ride at night' policy across Nevada - stop at one of the towns and sleep there during the day, then start riding when it starts to cool down a bit and keep going through the night into the next morning. Reduces the need for as much water but you do want to have decent lighting.