Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sugino RD2 Adventures

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Sugino RD2 Adventures

Old 12-18-20, 04:07 PM
sorenmad

Bikes: 2008 Felt TK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugino RD2 Adventures

maybe i need to make a video review of the RD2

Last edited by sorenmad; 12-20-20 at 12:42 AM. Reason: OP was an ADHD fueled rant, but I couldnt have done it without the RD2
Old 12-18-20, 06:28 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Too much ganja.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 12-18-20, 07:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
How did you notice the chainline was off? People seem to notice something that is generally hard to detect. A mm or two here or there ain't really going to make a difference and if you can notice that you must be on some really crazy drugs or something. I have not once worried about chainline on any of my bikes ever for any reason.

Beyond that I am wondering what the issue is? It sounds like you screwed with the chainring bolts and they came loose and you had a true and something with the BB done at a shop and bought cleats? I am trying to get the correlation between the shop and the loose bolts? I am generally not going to go over the entire bike to do a wheel true.
Old 12-18-20, 10:53 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Too much ganja.
yes, but to be clear the shop put in the chainring bolts that held about 2-3 hours, not me.

nevermind, im over it now, sorry.
Old 12-18-20, 10:59 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
How did you notice the chainline was off? .
visually and all the noise, I [had] to lube every day even when not raining to fight the noise.

that was just the fixed side, freewheel sits further out and was not perfect but near silent.

Last edited by sorenmad; 12-18-20 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-18-20, 11:05 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am trying to get the correlation between the shop and the loose bolts? v.
the shop put them in backwards, I noticed when they came lose after 2 hours riding.

so i was not only stoned but pissed,

I Felt treated like a poser, im 51 scruffy, and smoke a lot a ganga.

That woudnt have been so bad if they put my ring on right lol

Last edited by sorenmad; 12-18-20 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by sorenmad
visually and all the noise, I [had] to lube every day even when not raining to fight the noise.

that was just the fixed side, freewheel sits further out and was not perfect but near silent.
the shop put them in backwards, I noticed when they came lose after 2 hours riding.

so i was not only stoned but pissed,

I Felt treated like a poser, im 51 scruffy, and smoke a lot a ganga.

That woudnt have been so bad if they put my ring on right lol
What bike are you riding and how do you even know it is chainline and not other problems?

As far as the chainring bolts why would they have put them in wrong or touched them. You did install them according you to your own account which you have since deleted. You also freely admit to smoking a lot of ganga which either is the river in India (aka Ganges) or you meant ganja (aka weed, cannabis...) I know plenty of people who can be functional on it but you just don't seem like that type maybe at least from what I can glean from this.

It is possible that someone in the shop made an error it does happen but something like that just doesn't seem realistic given your original posting (which again you have heavily edited). I would suggest getting a clear head, watching some videos on how to install chainring bolts properly and go at it yourself, also make sure you are using the correct bottom bracket and everything else is properly tightened. If you can be responsible while smoking fine if you can't maybe time to quit. As far as being scruffy who cares, be scruffy or don't. I can't judge I can just say that going in stoned off your gourd looking disheveled doesn't help your case though.
Old 12-19-20, 10:12 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much ganja.
what if I told you the chaos in my original unedited OP had far more to do with ADHD/ASD than ganga.
Old 12-20-20, 12:30 AM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do you even know it is chainline and not other problems?
this issue is more than just getting a proper chainline on the fixed cog, I want to be able to adjust my chainline back and forth using the inner and outer ring mouning points on the sugino RD2, so when I flip the hub, I move the ring to match. I do suspect this is the whole idea of the inner mount, and even the source of the name RD "2", so why not take advantage?

As far as the chainring bolts why would they have put them in wrong or touched them. You did install them according you to your own account which you have since deleted. .
I switched from free to fixed last week, tried to move the ring like I used to do on the previous crank, an old Bontrager [poor mans omnium], but now with the sugino, it [the ring] hit my frame when on the inner mount. So I put the ring back on the main mount, went to a bike shop and made an appointment for them to move the crank out to the drive side with a spacer.

they did this and put the ring on the inside, but the ring came lose 2 hours [worth of riding] later. Ordinarily i would have shrugged it off, but since the shop was ignorant toward fixed riding and/or condescending to me, and did so before putting my ring on wrong., I didn't shrug it off for a while, and instead posted here in full adhd mode. '[typos bad grammar and all]

ps, I think the cheap sram chains I have been using are part of the trouble too.

pps. no need to change the thread title huh\?

Last edited by sorenmad; 12-20-20 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 02:24 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
How did you notice the chainline was off? People seem to notice something that is generally hard to detect. A mm or two here or there ain't really going to make a difference and if you can notice that you must be on some really crazy drugs or something. I have not once worried about chainline on any of my bikes ever for any reason.
Now now, spoiling a good debate by using facts and common sense. That isn't what the internet is for!
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 12-20-20, 03:14 AM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats crazy, Im mike and my last name rymes with fool.

and I didnt know this was a debate , at all,

regardless im guessing it was closer to 4mm, and this combined with a 12 dollar sram chain leads to a mangled chain if backpedaling - it slowly gets noisier and then gets visible [wiggly looking] bends.

well also I thought it helped the noise with 'too much slack', and this would have sped up the mangling.

Last edited by sorenmad; 12-20-20 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-22-20, 02:47 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As far as the chainring bolts why would they have put them in wrong or touched them. .
Another try,

I tried to move my ring to the inner mount on the RD2, but the ring touched my frame on the inner mount.

So I got a shop to put a spacer in the BB and put the ring on the inside.

The next morning [In a torrential North Van downpour] I heard weird sounds from my chainring.

Went to another shop and the second bolt they checked was totally lose.

I just assumed this happened because when you put the ring on the inner spider on my old bontrager cranks, the bolts dont sit down fully unless you put them slot side out,

anyway the second shop tightened them up, and they have held for a few days, it was mostly torrential rain, so I didnt bother to look at the bolts.

Finally the rain stops and I clean my bike a bit, and looks like they are in backwards now, lol. but still holding.

____________________________________________________________________________________is that^^^^ backwards?^^^
Old 12-22-20, 06:45 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Nope. The chainring is on backwards. That is a road crank that normally has two chainrings (RD=road and 2=two chainrings) with one on the inside and one on the outside of the spider. When used with only one chainring, it is supposed to be mounted only on the outside of the spider. Hence the shorter bottom bracket spindle to obtain the correct chainline with the single chainring mounted on the outside of the spider. That is why the chainring hits the frame when mounted on the inside of the crankarm spider. When used as a double chainring road crank, the bottom bracket spindle is longer to provide clearance between the inner chainring and the frame. The bolts should always face outwards, so that you can easily tighten them. Whatever problem you had with the chainline, was the fault of the rear wheel and not the crankarm and chainring location. So, the shop was not wrong to install the chainring bolts the way they did, you were wrong to ask them to respace the bottom bracket and mount the chainring on the inside of the crankarm spider.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 12-28-20 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 12-23-20, 09:24 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once again, I may have failed miserably in my OP, but nailed the thread title.

The RD2 Crank was sold to me as SS/Fixed gear this last july, and I bought the rear wheel [Deep V rim Gran Compe hub] at the same in the same shop

They did not have the matching sugino BB, but the mechanic said he thought he could get a different one to work,

This is not as haywire as it may sound, as it took me about 15 tries to find a shop with any SS related stock on hand, and my current crank was literally falling apart.

I wanted it set up on freewheel at the time, and the chainline was fine.

till I went to flip the hub,. then it was 3-4 mm off, enought to produce a racket and mangle 12 dollar chains.

Could an impropper BB be the source of confusion, rather than the rear wheel?

the shop that put the shim in said they could only move the crank out.

Last edited by sorenmad; 12-23-20 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 10:57 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
according to sugino.jp the RD2 is an urban/track crankset giving a chainline of 45mm

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/store/pr...product_id=163

i may have been at 46 or 47 due to my bb, to be sure ill be contacting the installer, who im guessing will get a kick out of all this drama.

even if it was 45, thats 3mm, not one or two...

this not a debate, this is a witch hunt

bye
Old 12-23-20, 10:59 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats crazy, im mike and my last name rymes with fool.

And i didnt know this was a debate , at all,

regardless im guessing it was closer to 4mm, and this combined with a 12 dollar sram chain leads to a mangled chain if backpedaling - it slowly gets noisier and then gets visible [wiggly looking] bends.

Well also i thought it helped the noise with 'too much slack', and this would have sped up the mangling.
nt
Old 12-23-20, 11:00 PM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Now now, spoiling a good debate by using facts and common sense. That isn't what the internet is for!
no text
Old 12-24-20, 09:47 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I wanted it set up on freewheel at the time, and the chainline was fine.

till I went to flip the hub,. then it was 3-4 mm off, enough to produce a racket and mangle 12 dollar chains.

Could an improper BB be the source of confusion, rather than the rear wheel?

the shop that put the shim in said they could only move the crank out.
You have the answer right there. The fact that the chainline changed when you flipped the hub, means that something is wrong with the rear wheel. The chainline should NOT change when you flip the rear wheel, it should be the same. Were you to move 1 to 2 mm worth of axle spacers from one side of the wheel to the other and then redish the rim so that it is centered between the dropouts, you would cut the chainline disparity in half, and would have at most a 2mm offset in chainline, which is insignificant. As to the possible use of the wrong BB, the correct spindle for this crank when used as a single is 103mm JIS, so if the shop used a different length or if it was ISO, then perhaps it was off a bit, but not enough to matter.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 12-26-20, 02:33 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
One of the cool things about a forum is that the information can be valuable to folks in "real time" and in the future. Unfortunately, when you change your original post and then later pretty much erase it altogether, you end up with a thread full of text with no context. What a shame.

The OP had issues with his bike. I don't think they had anything to do with the crankset really, but that isn't the point. What transpired here is a testimony in how not to have a discussion. Humility, being able to have an open mind and to entertain thoughts and opinions of others is becoming a lost art and this thread is an example. There was no witch hunt.

For the record, the Sugino RD2 cranks are, in my opinion a great entry level set. I have a silver set on my All City Big Block and haven't regretted it.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-28-20, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

You have made a big mess of that bike and are consistently blaming shops which I don't believe at this point. People do make mistakes but every single shop screwed up is wrong and you know it, I know it and the rest of us in this thread know it. Deleting past malfeasance is not helping your cause. Just say "hey I may have screwed up the bike and I need help fixing it. Here is what I have and what I am trying to do. Please let me know how if possible to achieve that?" Simple easy and doesn't lay blame on anyone but yourself. When I damaged the outer casing of my dropper housing I couldn't blame anyone but myself and my own hardheadedness. I was trying to route it poorly because I wanted a cleaner look and realized it wouldn't work after I screwed up.

Get someone to properly dish your wheel, make sure you are running the correct bottom bracket for the crank you have (typically for the Sugino RD2 Messenger is 103 on a 120mm frame), get the correct chainring bolts for your set up or crank (or use the proper spacers if need be) and use the proper grease or thread locking compound and torque for everything. I would look for a chainring bolt with a dual hex (or Torx) head personally as I find I can work with them more easily. I would check with Sugino on what crank you have as currently they do not produce the RD2 in a double as far as I know but they have in the past and some people might not know that or notice the difference. Of course this is all with nice clean parts or new parts as needed get all the grime out from everything.

Single speeds and fixed gears aren't necessarily hard to work on but any new mechanic or someone who doesn't know the process can make an error and just not know what they are doing. It does not mean you are a bad person or a failure it just means it is something to learn and practice. This seems like a perfect set up to practice with and learn.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-28-22, 10:35 AM
sorenmad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My apologies for my rough start here. While I dont agree that I personally wrecked the bike, I can see how my attitude led to that impression.

You have the answer right there. The fact that the chainline changed when you flipped the hub, means that something is wrong with the rear wheel. The chainline should NOT change when you flip the rear wheel, it should be the same.
yeah that sounds like that was the source of all my problems, lol. Didnt know that till now.. Thanks~!

Last edited by sorenmad; 01-28-22 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

My apologies for my rough start here. While I dont agree that I personally wrecked the bike, I can see how my attitude led to that impression.

yeah that sounds like that was the source of all my problems, lol. Didnt know that till now.. Thanks~!
Dude it is 2022 we moved on you should as well. I re-read my old post from that date and noticed it was helpful enough. Just come in and say "hey I made a mistake with my bike and need help getting it fixed" You aren't mentioning the shops anymore but you are trying to remove any personal responsibility. Just accept you made a mistake or two, it happens we all do it. People here are happy to help if you are honest.

"I mean, nobody wants to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli, but I did. I'm ashamed of myself. The first can doesn't count, then you get to the second and third, fourth and fifth I think I burnt with the blowtorch, and then I just kept eatin'" * Ricky LaFleur, Trailer Park Boys
Likes For veganbikes: