Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

2022 Races - What's the best way to watch?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 12:57 PM
penquin

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, LeMond Tourmalet, Focus Mares

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

What services are best for watching this year's mens races in the US?

My GCN Race package is up for renewal and I'm not sure if I should re-up. In the past I've watched on GCN and NBC Gold (now Peacock I guess). I'm having trouble finding the list of GCN races covered in the US this year and what, if anything, NBC will carry. I would like to be able to watch the spring classics, the Tour, the Giro, Strade Bianche and a smattering of the other races throughout the year.
Old 01-28-22, 02:13 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
In the US there isn't many choices. Flobikes.com is expensive and doesn't have some races but streams many in Canada. GCN+ is cheaper by far. I use a VPN to watch more than I have time for. If you go that route test your VPN to see if GCN blocks them. I used Surshark for last year but this year GCN blocks their servers. I'm using Hoxx now.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 01-28-22, 02:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
It really depends on what races you want to watch. Many of the more popular races will sell exclusive rights to a broadcaster in different regions.

While NBC Gold had most of the races I liked to watch, I haven't followed them with Peacock. Even with NBC Gold and before, NBC just seems to keep juggling everything and leaving the future in doubt or unknown.

So like last year I'm just going to rely on what they put on the free NBCSN and Olympic Channels and what ever I can find on youtube or elsewhere for free.
Old 01-28-22, 07:49 PM
jsxcsnow

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by texbiker
In the US there isn't many choices. Flobikes.com is expensive and doesn't have some races but streams many in Canada. GCN+ is cheaper by far. I use a VPN to watch more than I have time for. If you go that route test your VPN to see if GCN blocks them. I used Surshark for last year but this year GCN blocks their servers. I'm using Hoxx now.
Having the same problem with Surfshark and GCN
Old 01-28-22, 08:00 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
https://help.globalcyclingnetwork.co...tes-of-America
Likes For surak:
Old 01-28-22, 09:10 PM
texbiker

It looks like you will need to change VPN providers from time to time as GCN figures out what to block.
Old 01-30-22, 04:01 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I thought NBCSN is dead. Content was moved to USA
Likes For philbob57:
Old 01-31-22, 12:58 PM
penquin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you. That's what I was looking for from GCN but couldn't find it. Looks like they'll cover the Giro and Strade Bianche again. It might be my imagination, but I feel like GCN is offering fewer big races this year for the US.

For now, I'm going to hold off on GCN. Hopefully, who's covering the other big races will be more clear in the coming months.
Old 01-31-22, 01:09 PM
penquin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I thought NBCSN is dead. Content was moved to USA
Yep, that's what it looks like. Can't find anything definitive about what, if any, races USA Network will cover yet.

Flobikes seems to cover everything: https://www.flobikes.com/events
How much does it cost though? They don't tell you unless you log in/create an account, which isn't a good sign. I don't want to give them any information unless I know I want to sign up.
Old 02-01-22, 06:46 AM
texbiker

Originally Posted by penquin
Yep, that's what it looks like. Can't find anything definitive about what, if any, races USA Network will cover yet.

Flobikes seems to cover everything: https://www.flobikes.com/events
How much does it cost though? They don't tell you unless you log in/create an account, which isn't a good sign. I don't want to give them any information unless I know I want to sign up.
I used to subscribe to Flobikes. The cost was $13 per month or $160 per year. You need to look closely where their coverage is available. A number of races are Canada only.
Old 02-01-22, 10:02 AM
penquin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I used to subscribe to Flobikes. The cost was $13 per month or $160 per year. You need to look closely where their coverage is available. A number of races are Canada only.
Thanks.

Ew, that's a little steep. And thanks for the heads up on coverage. I assumed that what they listed would all be available but after looking around the interwebs for opinions on Flobikes, it seems like they can be a little shady. Maybe they will be my last resort if I don't find a better option. I just need to find something in time for Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastone-Liege, and the other spring races.
Old 02-01-22, 10:16 AM
texbiker

Originally Posted by penquin
Thanks.

Ew, that's a little steep. And thanks for the heads up on coverage. I assumed that what they listed would all be available but after looking around the interwebs for opinions on Flobikes, it seems like they can be a little shady. Maybe they will be my last resort if I don't find a better option. I just need to find something in time for Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastone-Liege, and the other spring races.
My current solution: GCN+ using the Hoxx VPN London servers. Hoxx has a free version with a daily data limit. I watched the CX UCI World races and stayed below the data limit. At some point I expect the Hoxx servers to get blocked. I will look for another VPN. If you pay for a VPN don't subscribe for too long in case their servers get blocked. Hoxx has a Chrome browser extension.
Old 02-18-22, 12:01 PM
penquin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just saw this today. It's the best breakdown I've seen of who is carrying what in 2022 in the US. Tip of the hat to Cycling Tips.
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/02/how-...he-us-in-2022/
Likes For penquin: