Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

6 more weeks of winter

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

6 more weeks of winter

Old 02-15-22, 04:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
4F degrees this morning, 60F on Thursday. waiting for my shoulder to feel better. powder over ice got me again . might not get back on a bike until it's time for a road bike, on dry pavement . don't know wutz worse, having to stay off a bike or being off my weight training. after being away from the gym for approx. 2 yrs due to covid I finally got back into a decent routine this past August maybe I'll take up chess
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-15-22, 04:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Thursday I managed to get out before most of the snow hit, which happened four miles from home. The first mile was biking in a snow globe, and then the wind and sleet kicked in for the final push (into it) home. Friday was a good day to take off to let the roads recover. Saturday I managed the two miles of iffy streets to get to a county road with good shoulders. (Light traffic but I wouldn't have done it during rush hour.) 20 miles was it though given the 3F. Yesterday, Plan A got aborted a couple of miles into it because of crappy roads, Plan B got aborted, and I ended up doing laps on a 3 mile loop of fairly decent county road shoulders. I managed to lay down seven tracks in the snow
dedicated but smart & safe. you are certainly doing your part
Old 02-15-22, 05:29 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
4F degrees this morning, 60F on Thursday. waiting for my shoulder to feel better. powder over ice got me again .
Ugh! My sympathies! Hoping you recover quickly!!

I've picked up a fat bike this winter so that's helping me. I did a fat bike fun race over the weekend where the perfect groomed trails got the warm weather freezing rain then refreeze treatment. I stayed up the whole time but my teammates had a couple hard falls. Felt super bad and started to take the lead and point out spots.

Days are growing longer!
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 02-15-22, 07:47 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
4F degrees this morning, 60F on Thursday. waiting for my shoulder to feel better. powder over ice got me again . might not get back on a bike until it's time for a road bike, on dry pavement . don't know wutz worse, having to stay off a bike or being off my weight training. after being away from the gym for approx. 2 yrs due to covid I finally got back into a decent routine this past August maybe I'll take up chess
So sorry to hear about your slam ... I hope your bike is OK (& and your shoulder recovers quickly)
Old 02-15-22, 08:13 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Ugh! My sympathies! Hoping you recover quickly!!I've picked up a fat bike this winter so that's helping me. I did a fat bike fun race over the weekend where the perfect groomed trails got the warm weather freezing rain then refreeze treatment. I stayed up the whole time but my teammates had a couple hard falls. Felt super bad and started to take the lead and point out spots.
thank you. good man. sounds like fun. most of my winter falls are harmless
Old 02-15-22, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
So sorry to hear about your slam ... I hope your bike is OK (& and your shoulder recovers quickly)
thank you. hehe priorities, right? I think I bent a crank arm or pedal. was looking for my carpenter's square to put up against the pedal to check. but maybe it would be easier to swap pedals & see if that fixed the weird wobbly issue on that side
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-15-22, 09:06 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
4F degrees this morning, 60F on Thursday. waiting for my shoulder to feel better. powder over ice got me again . might not get back on a bike until it's time for a road bike, on dry pavement
That sucks! It sounds like maybe an under-the-seat-steering 'bent is needed in the meantime? Do people actually ride those with studded tires?
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 02-15-22, 10:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
That sucks! It sounds like maybe an under-the-seat-steering 'bent is needed in the meantime? Do people actually ride those with studded tires?
thank you. the shoulder is coming around. today feels like a vax jab. but still some underlying soreness w/ some arm movements, like flipping off taxis (only kidding). hard to pinpoint if it's muscular, bruised bone, or torn cartilage. recumbent w/ studs? can you fold that & electrify it while we're at it? haha like a grown-ups "big-wheel" on steroids! (just googled that, oh boy!)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-16-22, 07:24 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
we have the melodious love song of the chickadee this morning up here in Route 38
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 02-19-22, 08:26 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
not my wreck, but I thought of you when I saw this yesterday ... And I was thinking "that's gonna left a mark"

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-19-22, 09:14 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
I just hope the dog was okay, screw the bike rider.
;-)
Likes For djb:
Old 02-19-22, 02:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
not my wreck, but I thought of you when I saw this yesterday ... And I was thinking "that's gonna left a mark"

ugh. that hurts just looking at it.

I actually went down on my ride the other day- a little detour on a very icy patch of trail through a park was a mistake. Was going very slow and took the fall on my hip. I don't think I'll pay any real penalty, though in the past, trochanteric bursitis has shown up much later.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-19-22, 05:25 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
this week while riding to work, I spotted a kid laying on his back on the sidewalk crying a bit. He had been running and was surprised by some ice under snow like this, his lunchbox off on the side showing he had done a good wipeout. He was ok, made sure it had just happened, it had, and he was able to get up without any pain, so nothing broken...

so yup, snow on top of ice is always there ready to fool us if we arent being on the ball and watching.
why I finally got studded tires.

touch wood touch wood
Likes For djb:
Old 02-20-22, 06:07 AM
rumrunn6

ha! oh yeah! I tried to figure out which direction they were traveling but it doesn't matter. looks like they got up & moved on, on their own. cycling forensics haha
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-20-22, 06:29 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MinnMan
ugh. that hurts just looking at it. I actually went down on my ride the other day- a little detour on a very icy patch of trail through a park was a mistake. Was going very slow and took the fall on my hip. I don't think I'll pay any real penalty, though in the past, trochanteric bursitis has shown up much later.
yeah, if you've been there & done that, pics like that hurt to look at, for sure. a cpl years ago I had a good fall. went down hanging onto the bars & force was distributed over my whole right side, but the hip was sore. I guess they make those padded cycling shorts for good reason, eh? I might start investing in MTB specific shoulder pads myself. or at least a shoulder brace like this

or like this one

but any neoprene brace I've ever tried for knees or ankles were too tight. never did find MTB knee pads that felt comfortable either.

I was reading that, like you wrote, injuries can lead to arthritis post-traumatic osteoarthritis

on my recent fall I also took a hard shot to my left knee, squarely on my kneecap. since then, I've noticed some minor
symptoms. but I previously had some minor symptoms. the fall certainly didn't help. I forget which knee I had minor surgery on, back in 1997. I suppose at 62, soon to be 63, I shouldn't be riding raised boardwalks either. less so when they are snow covered. can't imagine adding altitude would be advantageous in a fall
Likes For rumrunn6: