Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Shimano Mt. bike sti levers

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 04:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts

Anybody remember the name of the Shimano mt. bike shift levers that worked like road STI shifters ?, as in you shifted using the brake levers, up or down ?. I have a set on a bike I want to off load.
Old 04-23-22, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
They were STI levers I believe maybe they also got called dual control like the road stuff is but I think they were just mountain STIs. I know I remember seeing some Deore XT ones and trying them briefly and hating them but I also hate road STI levers because I don't like a moving brake lever like that. A brake lever should brake and a shift lever should shift and that is that. The Di2 stuff works wonders because the brake lever is just that and you can have the shift buttons do whatever you want shifting wise.
Old 04-23-22, 09:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Anybody remember the name of the Shimano mt. bike shift levers that worked like road STI shifters ?, as in you shifted using the brake levers, up or down ?. I have a set on a bike I want to off load.

These came out a couple years after I stopped mountain biking. At the shop i frequented to repair my road stuff, a friend who always loved the newest tech showed it to me. As I recall, he was not impressed and that is significant because he was usually impressed by everything.
Old 04-24-22, 06:35 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
They were STI levers I believe maybe they also got called dual control like the road stuff is but I think they were just mountain STIs. I know I remember seeing some Deore XT ones and trying them briefly and hating them but I also hate road STI levers because I don't like a moving brake lever like that. A brake lever should brake and a shift lever should shift and that is that. The Di2 stuff works wonders because the brake lever is just that and you can have the shift buttons do whatever you want shifting wise.
Yes, Dual Control for the win. I got a set on-line cheap as a package with the disc brakes and a Sun Ringle wheelset, I needed a new rear wheel and Jenson USA had these on sale. I actually like using them, have no issues with the brake lever being the shifter, mostly as I have weak thumbs from injuries and these are easier to use then thumb shifters. I may be the only person on the planet that likes them, as Shimano killed off this product in year or two,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-24-22, 07:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, Dual Control for the win. I got a set on-line cheap as a package with the disc brakes and a Sun Ringle wheelset, I needed a new rear wheel and Jenson USA had these on sale. I actually like using them, have no issues with the brake lever being the shifter, mostly as I have weak thumbs from injuries and these are easier to use then thumb shifters. I may be the only person on the planet that likes them, as Shimano killed off this product in year or two,
Hey there has to be at least one. I think the concept is interesting and certainly glad they tried it and glad they have the resources to do this sort of stuff and make these whacky designs. Even if they flop it is probably is good shake up for the design team and they can find other neat things to incorporate into actual working pieces that people want en masse.