Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Frame size again

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Frame size again

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 12:33 PM
retnav94

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame size again

I have looked throughout the forums and am still a bit undecided on what frame size I might need. I plan on ordering a Motobecane Fantom 29PRO from Bikesdirect but am not sure if I should go 17in or 19in. I have a hybrid I use for trails and some easier single track, it is 18in. I have 2 LBS here and have been to both talking about frame size, one says 17 the other 19. I did stand over a felt road bike 58cm and it was perfect. Let me add that I want to be able to do trails but I think the majority of my ride will be pavement and hard pack. I am 5'10" Ind I believe my inseam using the level against the wall method is 32. I still have not found an answer to weather the sizing is different because it is a 29er. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by retnav94; 09-23-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-23-10, 01:20 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would help greatly if the bike you mentioned (Motobecane 29PRO) existed. Assuming you mean the FANTOM 29PRO, which actually exists, I would go with the 17". The 19" would still work if you prefer your bikes to run a little bigger instead of smaller, but the larger wheels on 29er's make the standover height a little higher, so that would balance out better with the frame size that's 1" short of an ideal size. Since you seem to be dead set on ordering your first real mountain bike online, I would at least try sitting on a variety of 17" & 19" mountain bikes made by different brands, & make notes of which ones feel better. So say you test ride 5 different kinds of 29er mountain bikes, a 17" & 19" version of each. If seven of the bikes feel better with a 17" frame & three feel better with a 19", then it would be wise to order the 17".
Likes For samburger:
Old 09-23-10, 01:26 PM
mustachiod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.wrenchscience.com fit sysystem

then go to LBS and try different sizes
Old 09-23-10, 05:01 PM
retnav94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My error on leaving the fantom part out, I was in a bit of a rush. Anyway, here is the problem with trying to test ride bikes locally, there are none. There are two shops in town as I mentioned, however, one guy says he is not a "29er guy" but would order me one, the other has limited supply of them, as in 1. So I drove a couple hours south to a larger city and the largest shop in town had a few inquiries into 29ers but had not sold one. Hence my dilemma. Even if I wanted to buy one locally, there are none to be had. I have tested a few bikes of both 17 and 19 inch frames but not 29ers. This is why I turned to the forum to see if there is a difference when it comes to deciding on frame size.
Old 03-03-22, 12:00 PM
Michellemayer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Despite all this information, is it still difficult to choose the frame size? A practical tip is to ride on a friend's bike that has a frame the size you intend to buy. In general, smaller frames are lighter and more agile and larger ones are more stable and comfortable.

When evaluating measurements, manufacturers usually quote the vertical pipe measurement first and then the horizontal pipe measurement. When there is only one measurement, it is understood that the two tubes are the same size (square frame).

In the case of sloping frames, the slope must be neglected. You can measure with the tape measure parallel to the floor.

A very important measurement in relation to the frame is the height. The length can be adjusted by changing the table. There are table options from 7 to 14 cm, with gradations from 0.5 to 0.5 cm.

For MTBs, there's a nifty rule you can use: measure your horse's height, convert to inches and subtract 14.

For example, if your horse measures 83 cm, that means 32.67 inches. Subtracting 14 (32.67-14) gives you 18.67 inches. So the ideal frame would be 18.5 inches.

Although it sounds like a lot of information, remember that choosing the ideal frame size is very important, as this is the most difficult component to change on a bike. And don't forget that the other items on your bike must be compatible with your frame size, such as wheels and fork.
Old 03-03-22, 03:14 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Michellemayer
Despite all this information, is it still difficult to choose the frame size? A practical tip is to ride on a friend's bike that has a frame the size you intend to buy. In general, smaller frames are lighter and more agile and larger ones are more stable and comfortable.
I hope the OP hasn't been waiting for more input since the OP put this up 12 years ago LOL.
Old 03-03-22, 05:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Michellemayer

When evaluating measurements, manufacturers usually quote the vertical pipe measurement first and then the horizontal pipe measurement. When there is only one measurement, it is understood that the two tubes are the same size (square frame).

In the case of sloping frames, the slope must be neglected. You can measure with the tape measure parallel to the floor.

A very important measurement in relation to the frame is the height. The length can be adjusted by changing the table. There are table options from 7 to 14 cm, with gradations from 0.5 to 0.5 cm.

For MTBs, there's a nifty rule you can use: measure your horse's height, convert to inches and subtract 14.

For example, if your horse measures 83 cm, that means 32.67 inches. Subtracting 14 (32.67-14) gives you 18.67 inches. So the ideal frame would be 18.5 inches.

Although it sounds like a lot of information, remember that choosing the ideal frame size is very important, as this is the most difficult component to change on a bike. And don't forget that the other items on your bike must be compatible with your frame size, such as wheels and fork.
Horse?
Old 04-27-22, 07:25 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I have to be able to drop back behind the seat easily on steep descents so my ass is on the rear tire. For performance riding, it is always better to have a frame that is a little too small than a little too big, that goes for a road bike too.