Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Portable battery bank for Garmin Varia

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 09:48 AM
drshadowblack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable battery pack to charge the Garmin Varia headlamp and tail radar? These devices have shorter battery life and I've ran out of battery on several of my longer rides. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-22, 09:51 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I have the first gen Varia radar, and I still get a full day out of the battery, despite having used it since around 2015. The battery lasts longer if you run the light in the flash mode. Any portable battery pack should work. I have no experience with the headlight. It might be more expedient to use a cheaper Cygolite on longer rides (or at least bring it as a backup).
Old 05-01-22, 10:20 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by drshadowblack
Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable battery pack to charge the Garmin Varia headlamp and tail radar? These devices have shorter battery life and I've ran out of battery on several of my longer rides. Thoughts?
doesn't the varia not work while charging? when i plug mine in, it immediately disconnects and the light turns off. or are you thinking of charging while on a break? in that case, any small USB power bank would do as the varia charges at around 4.3 watts (according to a charger i have with an output display) and probably has a battery of around 10Wh (based on how long it takes to charge and the weight.) i'd probably get the smallest one i could find with an integrated micro usb cable.

as noted above, remember that the battery lasts ±6 hours in solid light mode and ±14 hours in flashing mode...
Old 05-01-22, 10:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
How long are your long rides? I've never come close to out-riding a full battery in Daylight Flash (or whatever the mode is called), despite doing several centuries per year.
Old 05-01-22, 11:15 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I use a GoalZero flip24 (6700mAh) and stash it either in the seat tube bag or seat bag and run a USB cable to the device. Given the size of the Garmin Varia and head lamp I guess the internal battery is 2000-3000mAh, don't know for sure, so you get about 2~3 recharges with this kind of setup. I only carry one flip and switch it around based on who needs extra juice. The GoalZero is slightly more expensive per mAh then some other USB recharge stations you can buy, but I think they're a bit more rugged and standup to outdoor abuse a little better.
Old 05-01-22, 04:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.

Old 05-01-22, 04:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 1,011 Posts
Shane Miller, (Gplama ) in a video I watched the other day, shows a battery pack connected to the Varia. Does not really discuss it to much, but does go over some batter saving tips.

Old 05-01-22, 06:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Flash mode is 15 hours.
If you really feel the need for a solid light, get a cheap one and add that in addition to the varia's light.
Old 05-02-22, 08:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Of note..........folks "trick" the usb devices that want to stop working when charging by utilizing a special usb cable with a different pin order that causes the device to charge while operating.

I know this from an old topic on here from the randoneurring folks doing this with those little lipstick battery packs and their gps. They could charge the gps while still going.

For the rear light, just cable tie one of those chargers under the saddle and plug the special cable to the Varia then switch on the charger when necessary. Same for front.

I think it's a "usb charge only pinout" as the usb cables included with these devices have the data pins also usually.
Likes For burnthesheep: