Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Foot pain frequency is increasing. Idea to reduce it?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Foot pain frequency is increasing. Idea to reduce it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 12:28 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 280 Posts
I had a pair of Specialized shoes that about an hour into a ride would produce the most agonizing hot foot imaginable. I mean crippling! I had never had that happen before with any other shoe across more years than I care to mention. After that happened the second time I tossed the fokkers and got a pair of Pearl Izumi. Adios hot foot. I have no idea why the Specialized did that cos they felt just fine otherwise.

anyway - FWIW
Old 01-31-22, 06:51 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,005 Posts
I have have great success with the following as I use Time ATAC pedals on all my bikes. I use the Bontrager Katan and Shimano SH-XC7's which have the dual BOA dials.

Old 01-31-22, 07:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
Could you recommend shoe brands that make wide (e to eee) cycling shoes that you like?
Lake have been awesome for me. Start with their foot sizing procedure and then reference their sizing charts for the various lasts that they offer - https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/ho...-cycling-shoes
Old 01-31-22, 07:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have always had occasional foot pain when road riding, maybe 1:5 rides, typical distance 50 miles. I believed it was foot swelling due to the heat here in North Carolina so I typically loosed the boa dials and strap which seemed to help. This winter I am mostly indoors on the direct drive trainer with same bike, shoe and kit and a few outdoor rides when possible. For the past 9 mths or so, outdoor and indoor, my feet get numb/painful 4:5 rides but I've not changed the setup, geometry or kit. Two possible, anecdotal, causes in my mind are; my shoes are too narrow OR, because I DO peddle with feet pointing more downward than flat, I'm jamming my toes deeper into the shoe as the miles go by.

I looked for wide fit cycling shoes but have not found anything suitable.

What experience to you have with this and "cures' for eliminating foot/toe pain.
Make sure your bike shoes are wide enough. I have an EE wide foot, and I have a hard time finding bike shoes that are wide enough.
When I did find a pair that was somewhat wide, the hot foot pain went away.
The big problem is the many good bike shoes are made in Italy, and they have narrow feet there. The rest of the world followed suit.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-20-22 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 08:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I have always had occasional foot pain when road riding, maybe 1:5 rides, typical distance 50 miles. I believed it was foot swelling due to the heat here in North Carolina so I typically loosed the boa dials and strap which seemed to help. This winter I am mostly indoors on the direct drive trainer with same bike, shoe and kit and a few outdoor rides when possible. For the past 9 mths or so, outdoor and indoor, my feet get numb/painful 4:5 rides but I've not changed the setup, geometry or kit. Two possible, anecdotal, causes in my mind are; my shoes are too narrow OR, because I DO peddle with feet pointing more downward than flat, I'm jamming my toes deeper into the shoe as the miles go by.

I looked for wide fit cycling shoes but have not found anything suitable.

What experience to you have with this and "cures' for eliminating foot/toe pain.
Oh, I don't know...maybe consult a professional, possibly a doctor instead of a cycling forum? Or find someone that's stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently?
Old 02-01-22, 11:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Oh, I don't know...maybe consult a professional, possibly a doctor instead of a cycling forum? Or find someone that's stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently?

I'd bet the first thing a doctor is going to do is to suggest trying new shoes and see if the problem goes away. OP doesn't know if the issue is medical or just a shoe fit problem. Makes more sense to try the shoe change first.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-22, 08:38 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Might try that. Several other posters mentioned flats and on the trainer it would be easier to accommodate.
Old 02-02-22, 09:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Might try that. Several other posters mentioned flats and on the trainer it would be easier to accommodate.

What kind of shoes do you wear when you're not cycling?
Old 02-02-22, 09:55 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What kind of shoes do you wear when you're not cycling?
Several kinds of shoes. "cross trainer" athletic shoes, Keen sandals, casual leather shoes.
Old 02-02-22, 10:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Several kinds of shoes. "cross trainer" athletic shoes, Keen sandals, casual leather shoes.

If you're not experiencing problems with the cross trainers, might as well try them on a pair of flats.
Old 02-07-22, 03:03 PM
javier87gav

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
check your cleats position
Old 02-07-22, 04:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would see a fitter! They can help out quite a bit. Certainly trying new shoes can help but I would talk with a fitter and see what they might recommend and also look into insoles with them. My fitter recommended the green Specialized insoles and pedal extenders and they really helped a lot for my feet and my riding. I am wearing 46 Shimano Wide shoes I believe XC-5 or 7s (I cannot remember I have had them a while) and they seem to work well. I think if I wanted something in the much wider widths I think that shoe might be on the narrower end of wide shoes but has worked for me.

If you are riding a lot you might also consider D2 Shoes. Granted yes they are expensive but they are made for your feet. I have long considered a set of Legit Kongs (They said they can mix the two) and have told myself if I can lose some weight and get into better shape I will treat myself. However if nothing else I could do a set of custom orthotics for a bit cheaper.
Old 02-14-22, 11:39 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would see a fitter! They can help out quite a bit. Certainly trying new shoes can help but I would talk with a fitter and see what they might recommend and also look into insoles with them. My fitter recommended the green Specialized insoles and pedal extenders and they really helped a lot for my feet and my riding. I am wearing 46 Shimano Wide shoes I believe XC-5 or 7s (I cannot remember I have had them a while) and they seem to work well. I think if I wanted something in the much wider widths I think that shoe might be on the narrower end of wide shoes but has worked for me.

If you are riding a lot you might also consider D2 Shoes. Granted yes they are expensive but they are made for your feet. I have long considered a set of Legit Kongs (They said they can mix the two) and have told myself if I can lose some weight and get into better shape I will treat myself. However if nothing else I could do a set of custom orthotics for a bit cheaper.
Thanks for all the positive responses. my Simple solution has been to get some Pearl Izumi X-Alpine Summit shoes A FULL SIZE LARGER (not a 1/2 size larger) and have done 100+ miles of gravel with 7000+ ft of climbing totally pain free. Problem solved.
Likes For rbrides:
Old 02-15-22, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thanks for all the positive responses. my Simple solution has been to get some Pearl Izumi X-Alpine Summit shoes A FULL SIZE LARGER (not a 1/2 size larger) and have done 100+ miles of gravel with 7000+ ft of climbing totally pain free. Problem solved.

Welcome to the yeti club!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-16-22, 03:29 PM
Totte86

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe not your problem but check your foot arches. I have very high arches and got pain on and off before I was aware. I use stiff inlays now for arch support in the shoes I use most often and I have never had the same issues since.
Likes For Totte86:
Old 02-21-22, 10:34 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Totte86
Maybe not your problem but check your foot arches. I have very high arches and got pain on and off before I was aware. I use stiff inlays now for arch support in the shoes I use most often and I have never had the same issues since.
Thank you. Happy for the input.
Old 02-21-22, 10:54 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
In the past 10 years I have gone from a size 8.5 shoe, most brands, now I am 9.5. My body keeps shrinking, but my feet keep getting larger. Where I always first notice is in the toe area. They start to feel a bit cramped and the nails on the middle toes start to become sort of ingrown. To add to that, my feet really prefer socks thicker than what most people would use for cycling, and I do not like straps or shoelaces to be too tight. I that the less tightness comes from having high arches. If I have the laces/straps too tight, the tops of my feet get aggravated and start to hurt, especially while being highly active.
Old 02-21-22, 11:08 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I had the same issues before. I cured it by moving the seat back and adjusting the seat height a little at a time. Mark it each time and ride for a few miles until you find your sweet spot.
I forgot to mention, I also switched to flat pedals.