Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New tires for new Wheel?

Old 11-05-12, 01:11 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New tires for new Wheel?

Since I have a new wheel on the way, I was thinking about slimming the tire width. I'm riding 700cx38 at 85psi. Thinking I might go 700cx32 at 100psi. Any ubers running that width /pressure?

I just hate flat looking tires, I start doing the compulsive psi checking.
Old 11-05-12, 01:25 PM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Based on your weight loss tracker, we are about the same size. I run Bontrager RaceLite Hardcase 700 x 32s on my hybrid @ 100-105 psi. They roll really well and do a good job avoiding flats. I do have to say that my Continental Contacts (700 x 37 @ 80 psi) on my Long Haul Trucker give a much more comfortable ride and roll just as well.
Old 11-05-12, 01:38 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you don't think your gaining any speed with a slimmer tire. I'm good with keeping my 38's just thought as long as I have to switch out the tire anyway, it would be a good time.
Old 11-05-12, 04:10 PM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
In my case, when I wore out the stock 700 x 38 tires on my hydrid I replaced them with 700 x 32s. I did see a small increase in speed, but I paid for it in a harsher ride.

At the end of last summer I added a Surly LHT to the stable and it came with the Continental Contacts 700 x 37. I really like the new bike and the Continentals have given me great service so far. They roll really well, have much better traction than slicks on wet roads and when the road surface is "dirty" and also provide a more comfortable ride. I have yet to have a flat with the new tires, so they get good marks for durability too. When I wear out my current tires on the hybrid, I will be replacing them with new Continental Contacts (700 x 37). At least for me, running a slightly wider tire at a lower pressure provides the right balance between speed, traction, durability and comfort.

If you really want to go with a slimmer tire give it a try. Tires are a consumable item and as long as you keep riding you will be back in the tire market at some point. Then the next time you need to replace your tires you will have a really good personal basis for comparison. At the end of the day tire choice is often about personal preference.
Old 11-05-12, 04:46 PM
Fangowolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay gotcha, trade off. I do cringe when I hit a gap or bump in the road. Not so much that it jars me, more of a is that back wheel doing okay.
Old 11-05-12, 04:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
I just hate flat looking tires, I start doing the compulsive psi checking.
I have a road bike (two, actually, because it rains a lot here and one of them doesn't like that) so the psi numbers won't carry over for you, but I think the point is valid. I run 110 psi in the front tire, and 120 in the rear. If either one of them is off by more than 5 psi, it will bother me.

If the back tire is soft, it feels a little, I don't know, weird in turns. It's like wide turns happen just a hair more slowly, and, also, it can feel like it wants to fishtail. The front one feels weird in its own way if the pressure is wrong, but I can't really figure out how exactly to describe it. This is especially unnerving because I got used to the way the bike handles, and I've come to expect that, so when it doesn't behave the way I'm used to, I'll worry just a little bit about whether there's a mechanical problem.

The flip side to being so neurotic is that if this all doesn't bother me, then I know everything is just right. And the reason I'm boring you with this is that you should see if you can judge tire inflation by feel instead of by look. (A gauge is best of all, of course.)
Old 11-05-12, 05:15 PM
Fangowolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far it takes about 10 psi before I can really tell something is off, but at 80psi thats over 12%. Yea the back tires are easier to tell on a turn, that noodley feeling. I usually have to hit something with the front tire before I know if something is amiss there.

But if I'm going to tell the truth the flat looking tire is a bit of an ego thing. It would be like me riding in a shirt that is two sizes too small. With a tire that looks like it is about to go flat, I feel like I'm screaming I'm to big for this tire.

Now if someone ever said anything along those lines that wouldn't bother me near as much, but I couldn't promise I wouldn't make a remark back
Old 11-05-12, 06:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
There's no rule that says both tires have to be the identical size.
I run 26MM on my Hybrid (when not laid up with a broken leg)
When I wear out the rear, I think I'll probably go to a 28MM and stay with 26 MM up front.
I'm "only" 230 lbs.
Old 11-12-12, 04:07 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We love the Kenda Kwik K193 37x622 on our tandem. We are a 500+lbs team, and run them at 100 psi, even though the side wall says 85psi max. They are a bit of strange tire, being 42mm (1 5/8") tall, and 35mm (1 3/8") wide. They have a very hard but grippy tread, and soft side walls. Even with us on the bike, they do not look "flat". They are smooth riding, and very precise handling.

My commuter has Kenda 37x622 tires (90 psi) that I am still getting used to the squirm in the tread. I wish they made the K193 in a 590 size.

I have tried narrower tires, and wider tires. The sweet spot for me is in the 35 to 40 mm range.
Old 11-16-12, 02:10 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For commuting, I use some very cheap Michelin Dynamics (old design with slight tread). 700x32 registers 32.5mm actual width at 87psi (max on the sidewall). I go to 90 psi a lot or there abouts and it rides well. It does have an easily cut casing so if you ride through lots of debris, especially near construction sites, at my size (around 280lbs), the tires get gouged a little and cut. I carry some small amount of gorilla tape nowadays to patch big holes from the inside. Wet weather handling is good and they are fairly sticky/soft. Wear is initially quick to get a semi-flat area, especially on the rear. The sticky/soft property is not good however, after the rain clears and the roads are clean and dust free. I feel like the tires stick too well and are "peeling" off the road. So I rotate often and keep inflation pressures high and hope for some light dust on the roads. I have ridden them low at 55 psi without incident after doing a quick flat patch and pump. And gotta love the bead which is 2 finger on/single tire lever off. And it seats really well inside the rim. So far, about 2000 miles on one set and for this clyde. No threads showing yet. And flats - knock on wood - going 3 months without a flat on this particular bike. For $11/tire about a year ago, I'm pretty happy. But I don't find them as available for that price any more.

I've put around 900 miles on a newer set of the Michelin Dynamic Sports which are full-slick/no tread - a real nice rolling tire and very smooth/quiet. But I can't find them in 32mm. The widest is only 700x28 at most online sites. The rubber isn't as sticky as the previous version Dynamics, but it seems to wear more slowly without as much characteristic flat spot on the crown of the rear tire. As with other Michelins, I like the way Michelin casings sit on the rim and corner, so the handling of this tire at 28mm width is excellent when the tire is at correct pressure. I did manage to order a few more sets of these tires for just $13 each recently.

Those are my best picks for price-performance on some decent tires for hybrid or flat-bar road use. Certainly, there are better performance tires at higher costs. Michelin makes those too in various tread. I like some of the schwalbes for 26 inch hybrid use. But these are more expensive.
Old 11-16-12, 03:04 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I myself would go narrow. The harsh ride may talk about is an opinion IMO.

I've had a few others say that a Cannondale CAD3 is too harsh a ride to go long distance. Many of them doing 30 miles on smooth surface trail rides. But I took my CAD 3 on many many trainng rides and about 10 centuries with no problems while these riders claim to lose fillings in their teeth on newer smoother Cannondales.

Heck, if anything, switch back to the wider tires once they wear out. You sohuld have formed your own opinion by then and a tire is what, $30.
Old 11-16-12, 04:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Except for the 'I hate flat tires' thing The Riv-Bike /Panasonic Jack Brown 33's are a nice ride.

For more puncture resistance a thicker tread with more flat protection will be the way to Go.

Trek/Bontrager Hardcase? Pasela Tour gard belted, lots of brands pursue that market share..