Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Help me sort my bowels

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Help me sort my bowels

Old 06-25-18, 12:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Metamucil in the bottles?
If you let metamucil sit it eventually turns to a gel. Might be a problem getting it out of the bottle while riding …
Old 06-25-18, 12:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever

I have similar issues due to lyme disease, actually. I have to stay away from all insoluble fiber, pretty much, unless I'm having something with lots of soluble fiber with it, and even then I have to be careful. (Ie: I can have salad with pizza.)

I didn't make the comment to the OP in jest, btw. 2-4 imodium on those days where he has to get up early and has the problems described wouldn't be harmful or dangerous for him. It would probably solve his issue entirely, and the pills would have worn off by the next day.

Imodium is pretty much all that allows me to function normally in the world. I'm highly habituated and have to take A LOT. (So, of course, the kids have found a way to get high off of it, so they're starting to make it more difficult to get the supply I need.) All the prescription drug that are supposed to have the same effect turned out to, paradoxically, make things much, much worse for me. (Paradoxical responses to medications is very common in chronic lyme.) I even keep a supply of imodium in my top tube bag for those long rides.

Have you tried probiotics for your issues, rpenman? Did it have any positive effect at all? I recommend the PB8 as mentioned above just as a matter of intestinal health, not unlike a multivitamin. Have you tried taking enzymes with food? I have found both of those to be quite helpful in moderating my problems. (If I don't take the enzymes, especially with oily foods, the results can be ugly, and I have to take lactaid with the above-mentioned pizza.)
Probiotics have no effect on my problem. Folks should be aware that Imodium is related distantly to opioids, but it is not dangerous at all.

What puzzles me is folks saying that fiber helps. Fiber, soluble or insoluble does absolutely nothing good for me. I softens the stool, makes it sticky and pasty, increases the frequency of bowel movements, and causes incredible flatus. Basically I take Imodium to counteract the effects of dietary fiber. Fiber supplements are sold for the purpose of increasing the frequency of bowel movements, not slowing them down.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-25-18, 12:24 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Fiber supplements are sold for the purpose of increasing the frequency of bowel movements, not slowing them down.
Well that's interesting, I didn't know that. My experience is that it makes it more likely to all come out at once rather than in several smaller and looser installments. I guess your mileage (heh) may vary.
Old 06-25-18, 12:26 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Probiotics have no effect on my problem. Folks should be aware that Imodium is related distantly to opioids, but it is not dangerous at all.

What puzzles me is folks saying that fiber helps. Fiber, soluble or insoluble does absolutely nothing good for me. I softens the stool, makes it sticky and pasty, increases the frequency of bowel movements, and causes incredible flatus. Basically I take Imodium to counteract the effects of dietary fiber. Fiber supplements are sold for the purpose of increasing the frequency of bowel movements, not slowing them down.
Everybody is different.

Fiber would theoretically work by making it easier to poo before the ride, rather than waiting for after the ride.
Old 06-25-18, 01:06 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's the idea, not to take it just before your ride but regular usage. I have fewer, but more full movements. I feel I "empty out" much better when I'm using my fiber supp. He stated needing 3 loose movements in the am before feeling good. 1 solid full gets you empty and ready to go with no potty emergencies.
Old 06-25-18, 01:08 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Fiber supplements were really bad for me. I didn't understand the theory either. All the GI doctors I saw before I being diagnosed with lyme insisted fiber was the answer, somehow. I dunno. It seems like most people have more problems with constipation, hence fiber is a go-to for everything? It was like a bomb for me. Normal soluble fiber in, say, bread, or potatoes, is fine. insoluble fiber is devastatingly bad for me. Kale and the like is like a whirling blade nightmare.

Yes, Imodium is a pseudo-opioid. It's very, very slow to release, and so very little is taken up by the body. (But, of course, people have found a way to get high off of it anyway, and now it's being treated like pseudoephedine. :eyeroll: )
Old 06-25-18, 01:32 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
My experience is that it makes it more likely to all come out at once rather than in several smaller and looser installments. I guess your mileage (heh) may vary.
My gastroenterologist agrees with you. He prescribed a fiber supplement to bulk things up to prevent accidents and to limit multiple trips to the toilet.

Old 06-25-18, 01:46 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I try to take a dump before my morning rides. Coffee usually helps.
Old 06-25-18, 02:21 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Did anyone expect this thread to end up so useful with very few useless comments? Odd, considering the usual amount of keyboard diarrhea we have here.
Old 06-25-18, 02:25 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Did anyone expect this thread to end up so useful with very few useless comments? Odd, considering the usual amount of keyboard diarrhea we have here.
Everybody poops.
Old 06-25-18, 02:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Welcome to Trollheim, from Road.
Old 06-25-18, 02:54 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
This thread reeks of digger sock.
Old 06-25-18, 02:58 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6730 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 3,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Exactly my thoughts.

digger or old Hairy...
Old 06-25-18, 04:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
...they move threads like this in here from road, and then bitch about what a cesspool this is. Oh the humanity.
Old 06-25-18, 05:13 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
My socks don’t stink.
Old 06-25-18, 05:18 PM
digger

What, exactly, is wrong with discussing something like this? It’s natural, everyone does it, and it’s VERY important it happens, and happens correctly.

So, when it DOESN’T happen like it should, it goes to the top of your list of things to fix very quickly.

We we talk about sweat issues in BF, we talk about saddle sores, penile numbness, etc. What’s the difference?

Stop being such a bunch of prudes.
Old 06-25-18, 05:22 PM
digger

Originally Posted by rgconner
Everybody poops.

...and hurts.
Old 06-25-18, 06:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
What, exactly, is wrong with discussing something like this? It’s natural, everyone does it, and it’s VERY important it happens, and happens correctly.

So, when it DOESN’T happen like it should, it goes to the top of your list of things to fix very quickly.

We we talk about sweat issues in BF, we talk about saddle sores, penile numbness, etc. What’s the difference?

Stop being such a bunch of prudes.
Originally Posted by digger
...for starters, if it were about numbness, it wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-26-18, 02:11 AM
digger

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...for starters, if it were about numbness, it wouldn't hurt.
Not physically, there’s emotional pain. When your pee-pee is numb you feel it emotionally don’t you; that panic that starts down in the pit of your stomach and bubbles rapidly to the surface in a mewling screeching sort of panic.
Old 06-26-18, 03:47 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6730 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 3,198 Posts
There are times I wish my dick was numb. This constant throbbing rage, this constant penile roar is almost exhausting sometimes.

Thank Gawd I'm so good looking and rich and can easily seek relief, temporary as it is...
Old 06-26-18, 08:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
We're going to try this in the Pills & Ills forum to see if anything positive develops.
Old 06-26-18, 11:02 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10102 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Yes, since Imodium is an anti-chologenic, you'll tend to retain more water when you take it, and you also won't have to pee as much--also a helpful thing when biking, helping keep the water in your system and keeping you hydrated.

As to your worries about "keeping something in..." all you're doing is delaying it so it comes out when it's more convenient. Imodium is pretty benign, which is why it's available OTC, it's not addictive, and you'll only be taking it intermittently, anyway. Give it a shot. It won't hurt you, and could well be a huge improvement in enjoying early morning rides!
Small point of information: Imodium (loperamide) is not an anticholinergic, but actually an opioid, which doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. It is correct, however, that anything which decreases gut motility will potentially increase water absorption by the large bowel.
Old 06-26-18, 11:50 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Small point of information: Imodium (loperamide) is not an anticholinergic, but actually an opioid, which doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. It is correct, however, that anything which decreases gut motility will potentially increase water absorption by the large bowel.
Thanks for the informative reply.

Old 06-26-18, 01:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10102 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Thanks for the informative reply.
Ha, but you were right! Loperamide is mildy anticholinergic. Thanks for the occasion for a little continuing education.
Old 06-26-18, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Do they make spandex Depends?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.