Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread

Old 09-29-22, 06:48 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts
Newb

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need to get to 10 posts before I can show you pics of my bikes...both vintage road bikes, one kept on campus, the other at home. I commute about 18 miles, most of which is by train. I live 3 miles from the train station and then my office is 1 mile from the train station on the other end. Hoping to use my Stella Arctic bike I just got yesterday to ride to the train station near my house. The main road there has a nice wide bike lane but has a lot of traffic noise from I-495 right next to it.

Do you all use phone mounts to listen to music while you ride? Seems a little "extra" but might be nice to have.

By the way, I haven't ridden a bike in like 20 years so I'm super excited to be back out there again!
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 09-29-22, 07:17 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I need to get to 10 posts before I can show you pics of my bikes...both vintage road bikes, one kept on campus, the other at home. I commute about 18 miles, most of which is by train. I live 3 miles from the train station and then my office is 1 mile from the train station on the other end. Hoping to use my Stella Arctic bike I just got yesterday to ride to the train station near my house. The main road there has a nice wide bike lane but has a lot of traffic noise from I-495 right next to it.

Do you all use phone mounts to listen to music while you ride? Seems a little "extra" but might be nice to have.

By the way, I haven't ridden a bike in like 20 years so I'm super excited to be back out there again!
Welcome! Glad to have you back to commuting.

Split commutes are a good way to make long distances (or harsh weather) bike-commutable. I do that sometimes in the winter when the temps drop below -10° F. I'll ride a little over a mile to the bus stop, then take the bus downtown, then ride another 1/2 mile to the office.

Myself, I don't listen to music when I ride. I like to hear what's going on around me and the sounds of nature. I know some others do listen to music, so it's a personal preference thing.
Old 09-29-22, 07:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Originally Posted by Shortwave
Nice! Tundra man! I saw your latest YouTube video and was glad to see you post again. Keep commuting.
Which reminds me, I forgot to post my latest video here for anyone suffering from insomnia:

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 10-18-22 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-29-22, 07:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
When I do I use earbuds and keep the phone in my pocket
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-29-22, 10:01 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Pretty nice morning with a bit of cloud cover, which is nice because otherwise the low sun would be right in my face at times. It's been unseasonably warm the past few days, but the trees know it's autumn.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-05-22, 10:33 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

My wife is not usually up in the morning but she went to get herself a coffee today before my ride time. She got me a Picture Perfect. I didn't think twice about jamming it into the cupholder, that always works ok... but this day on this bike the drink settled and the lid ran into the upper bolt on the 3-pack rack and peeled off. I think I might have lost as much as an ounce!

Old 10-05-22, 01:43 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Darth: Oh, the horror!

Sunny ride today with a breeze. (Why does the breeze disappear when the temperature goes over 80F?) I noticed the forested part of the ride was very quiet; I guess the songbirds caught the ride south from the last cold front. Also noticed a few monarch butterflies, presumably headed to Mexico -- we usually have some in the late summer in my wife's flowers out in front of the house, but I haven't seen any there this summer.

Ah, the things people in cars miss seeing!
Old 10-07-22, 10:39 AM
groovestew

Let me tell you about my commute today.

I had a major disconnect between my brain and my gut this morning. My brain knew it was Friday. I knew I had a weekly teleconference to attend at 9:30 am. Now, I had intended to ride to work yesterday. Things didn’t work out, and I deferred my ride to today instead. However, this morning, when setting out on my ride, my instinct was stuck on the day I had intended to ride: yesterday/Thursday.

Why does that matter?

Well, for the past 6 weeks and for the next 4 weeks or so, from Thursday night until Monday morning, some major construction is closing a small chunk of trail on my normal and most direct route to work. It makes a big difference, because right from my driveway, I would head in opposite directions depending on if it was Thursday or Friday. I went the Thursday direction this morning.

The trail closure comes at just about the halfway point between home and the office. It’s at the bottom of the valley, at a suspended pedestrian/cycling bridge under a freeway, over the river. There is no alternate route, no detour. There is a sign indicating that the trail is closed at the top of the valley. But when the sign is on the other side of a fence, 20 feet from the path, angled slightly away from the path, and I’m riding into the blinding sun, I think I can be forgiven for missing it.

So I had to backtrack about 3/4 of the way back home, at which point I had to decide whether to just go back all the way, change, and drive to work, or continue riding and take the long way. I didn’t know what time it was (my phone was in my backpack), but some quick math told me I might still be able to make it to the office by 9:30 (left home at 8:15, estimated it took about 30 minutes to get to the closure and back to the decision point, about 45 minutes to the office from that point = 9:30). Besides, the TC was another pointless meeting that rarely accomplishes anything, and so what if I was late? Or miss it entirely? So I rode.

Pulled into the office at 9:26.

Y’know, it was a pretty nice morning for a bike ride. A bit chilly (just above freezing), but hardly a breeze. Thick fog in the valley. I would have liked to take more pictures, but I was in a bit of a rush.

Oh, and the TC was a complete waste of time. Some general chit chat for several minutes among the more talkative folks, then realizing we had no business to discuss. My life is a Dilbert comic.

Have a great weekend everyone. It’s Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend!

Last edited by groovestew; 10-07-22 at 10:42 AM. Reason: formatting
Likes For groovestew:
Old 10-07-22, 12:31 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1514:

32°F this morning. First official freeze we've had this season. Thankfully there was only an extremely light headwind on the way to the office, so it wasn't a bad ride at all.
Old 10-07-22, 02:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

In spite of all the kid-chauffeuring in the afternoon, I've been taking the time to ride in the morning. Four simple laps this week after flying back Monday.

Having a simple, reliable bike helps a lot! The MTB is way more fun but has a lot more moving parts.
Old 10-13-22, 09:57 AM
groovestew

Officially, it was 2°C this morning, but according to the thermometer on my house in the 'burbs, it was -1°C (0°C is the freezing point for anyone who speaks only Fahrenheit). I know that the thermometers that the weather service use are more accurate than my plastic "Accu-Temp", but there was definitely frost on the grass along my route, so I'm inclined to think that at least some parts of the city were below freezing. I definitely did not wear warm enough gloves, a problem I have every year around this time when I forget how to dress for cold weather cycling.

Anyway, it was a pretty nice commute.
Old 10-13-22, 10:28 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1518:

39°F this morning. We've had colder mornings this fall, but the real story was the wind. 30 mph headwind out of the north with gusts much higher made it feel about 20 degrees colder. Brrrr...

Had an eye exam scheduled right away in the morning, so I rode there first and then went to the office. I didn't previously have an optometrist, so I picked one whose office is literally right next to a MUP trailhead.

My 53 year old eyes are still in good shape. Doctor just suggested maybe some readers would be helpful. Off-the-shelf readers were too strong so I had to custom order a set. When I tried them on and looked in the mirror, this is my first thought as to what I looked like:

Old 10-18-22, 07:07 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1520:

25°F this morning with a steady 15mph north headwind. Made things feel pretty chilly.

There's a park I ride through where the beavers have been attacking the trees over the last couple weeks. This morning I noticed we lost another one:

Old 10-18-22, 07:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1521:

Temp dropped down to 17°F this morning. Fall has officially arrived. Thankfully the wind was pretty light so while it was cold, it wasn't unbearable. This temp will feel pretty nice come February, but my body hasn't quite acclimated yet.

With the temp dropping below 20, I moved to the next layer of cold weather gear. Below this threshold I add: full balaclava instead of just my headband, ski goggles instead of just glasses, and a full sleeve shirt instead of just a t-shirt. No snow has fallen yet, so I was still on my road bike. Might as well enjoy the speed while I can, although at these temps "speed" on my road bike means about 13 mph.

Had one brief moment of panic: I was barreling down a hill in the dark when suddenly I realized that some idiot was still running their lawn sprinkler, and the water had flowed out into the street and created about 50 yards of sheet ice. By the time I saw it there was no chance at slowing down, so I just pointed the bike straight and held on. Somehow the skinny road bike tires stayed upright the whole way. Yikes! Seriously, our lawns stopped growing a month ago; stop watering your lawn!

I also got a chance to try my birthday present for the first time. Last June my wife got me a pair of neoprene socks. They're technically made for scuba diving, but I figured they probably will work for cold weather as well. Up until today it's been too warm to use them, so they've just sat on my shelf next to my balaclava. Today was the day to give them their inaugural run! They worked pretty well at keeping most of my feet warm, but my toes were still pretty cold. I think I'm going to still need my toe warmers on top of these scuba socks. The other thing I noticed was going forward I should probably wear regular socks under them. While my toes were icy, the rest of my foot was sweaty and there was nowhere for the moisture to go as the neoprene doesn't breathe. It would be good to have an absorption layer otherwise these neoprene socks are going to get funky quick.

A few minutes after I got to the office, a co-worker who also rides walked in the door. He's fighting a rare autoimmune disease, so normally he chooses not to ride below 20°F. For whatever reason he decided to make an exception today and ride anyway. I was standing in the break room when he came in all bundled up for the weather, similar to how I had been a few minutes prior. The first thing he said to me was, "Do you ever start to wonder if we're both a little crazy?" lol

Dropped my latest bicycle commuting video:

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 10-18-22 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-18-22, 09:04 AM
groovestew

We still haven't officially been below freezing yet here in Edmonton, though I saw frost on the neighbour's roof across the street this morning. It actually felt warmer than when I rode last week, and I wondered if I could have just worn shorts. Later this week we could get some snow, but it should melt right away. Pretty nice commute. Cool, crisp, and still air. Saw some geese heading south, a true sign of autumn. Have a great week, everyone.
Old 10-18-22, 09:11 AM
groovestew

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
There's a park I ride through where the beavers have been attacking the trees over the last couple weeks.
Beavers schmeavers. I'm marvelling more at that incredibly bright tail light.
Old 10-18-22, 09:27 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by groovestew
Beavers schmeavers. I'm marvelling more at that incredibly bright tail light.
It's a Niterider Solas 250. I usually run it on flash mode, that has two low power flashes followed by a third high power flash. I think the camera caught it right during the high power flash.
Old 10-20-22, 06:30 PM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
After about a decade of bike commuting in both Chicago & Minneapolis/St. Paul, had what I would call my first really scary run in with a crazy driver today. Just riding down the road & I get honked at, so at least he let me know he was coming. As he passes he just swerves in to hit me. I was able to dodge most of it, so the bike is fine, I'm left with a sore wrist & hip.

Guy got stuck in traffic at a red right afterwards so I was able to get the license info to the police, but the car had been reported stolen the day before unfortunately. Haven't had that much adrenaline in a long time. Gonna ride in tomorrow nice & slow, take a different route as well.
Likes For GullyFoylesbike:
Old 10-21-22, 07:15 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by GullyFoylesbike
After about a decade of bike commuting in both Chicago & Minneapolis/St. Paul, had what I would call my first really scary run in with a crazy driver today. Just riding down the road & I get honked at, so at least he let me know he was coming. As he passes he just swerves in to hit me. I was able to dodge most of it, so the bike is fine, I'm left with a sore wrist & hip.

Guy got stuck in traffic at a red right afterwards so I was able to get the license info to the police, but the car had been reported stolen the day before unfortunately. Haven't had that much adrenaline in a long time. Gonna ride in tomorrow nice & slow, take a different route as well.
Wow! Glad you came through (mostly) unscathed.

One thing that hopefully helps you relax at little: With the car being stolen, I would think odds of the driver coming down the same road at the same time again are low. I doubt the person stole the car just so they could commute to work every day.
Old 10-21-22, 07:41 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
It's cold here in the mornings. Getting down to 60°F!
Old 10-21-22, 10:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Rides have been happening but unremarkable. Autumn is nice.

Need to think about fenders and lights pretty soon. Time change is usually the weekend after Halloween. Have not been able to locate the mini USB cable for the Hotshots much less the one that goes to my Chinese light

Edit: Found Chinese light charger in toolbox. Thoughtful of me! I usually take the MTB on fender days. It has mudguards. I don't think I'm putting fenders on the SS commuter but it's goign to be no longer SS anymore soon

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-21-22 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-21-22, 12:22 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
We've had a good spell of mild and generally dry weather (at least in my part of the UK) that might be coming to an end but it held out for me to get my commutes for the week done in the dry. I'm still using my old 2012 CAADX with canti brakes but I need to get fenders on it over the weekend, get my lights ready and I might also ditch the 'cross' tyres and get some 28c or 30c tyres on it. I'm not looking to spend much money as this bike might only need to get me through to the end of March 2023 when I'll probably retire.
Old 10-21-22, 12:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bike rack at the dentist is designed for steel bikes and padlocks. Don’t have either? Good luck!

Old 10-23-22, 07:56 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
[QUOTE=Darth Lefty;22687018]Bike rack at the dentist is designed for steel bikes and padlocks. Don’t have either? Good luck!

Always thought that most of the bike racks that are installed by municipalities are huge wastes of funds designed by people who do not ride and sold by people who are only interested in money situated by distant architects planned by disinterested bureaucrats and installed by hapless contract construction workers only interested in getting the job done and going home (in a car).
​​​​​​
Old 10-23-22, 10:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Always thought that most of the bike racks that are installed by municipalities are huge wastes of funds designed by people who do not ride and sold by people who are only interested in money situated by distant architects planned by disinterested bureaucrats and installed by hapless contract construction workers only interested in getting the job done and going home (in a car).
​​​​​​
TBF it's the property and not the city that did this. We're pretty good around here, we usually have the big n or m shape set in concrete. There are often even bike boxes but... they are sometimes inhabited. This is a rare miss. I've seen these around Davis too and I think they are bike boom relics. If you had a steel bike, a padlock, and a chain, they would be fine, and quite compact

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.