Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Thinking about the Pine Creek Rail Trail in PA - Have Questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 12:01 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

So the friend I sometimes ride with came across an article about the PA Grand Canyon and the Pine Creek trail. We're giving it some thought to riding it, but because of our travel distances (about 3 to 4 hours, but from different locations), we'd like to split the ride in half. I was thinking to ride have afternoon and then the second half in the next morning.

I found the shuttle service that could take us from Jersey Shore up towards Wellsboro or Ansonia as our starting point. I also found the website for The Hotel Manor at Slate Run. I haven't contacted them yet, but it looks they want a minimum 2 night stay. That's not exactly working for us. Any other suggestions on places to stay? Camping is not an option.

Has anyone ridden the trail recently? It looks fantastic. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I've searched here, but the threads I'm finding are a bit old. Thanks!
Old 08-11-22, 10:20 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
It's a great trail, I rode it with friends a couple weeks ago, did it in two days, but we did camp near Slate Run. Trail condition is excellent, compatible with any type of bike you want to use. Best suggestion on lodging is to join the Pine Creek rail trail FB group and ask there. Might be you can find an AirBNB place that will do single day stays for you, I don't know.

Eric
Old 08-11-22, 11:19 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I just did the Pine Creek Trail a week and a half ago. Went from Jersey Shore to Wellsboro and back in three days. Approximately 35, 60 and 35 miles. It's all light gravel so I really wouldn't recommend anything less than 32mm or larger tires. You probably could you use a road bike, but not comfortably. There is a stretch of 30 miles to and/or from Wellsboro (the 60 mile day) with no stores except at Wellsboro, so have plenty of water if it's hot. The scenery is beautiful and the trail is well maintained. If I did it again, I'd do it in the Fall when the leaves are changing. I camped so I can't suggest accommodations. Good luck.
Old 08-12-22, 05:00 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I rode PC summer of 2020. Parked at Jersey Shore, rode north to Ansonia then camped at Tiadaghton. I’ll comment on the water supply. I stopped at three locations with pumps and all three had murky, questionable water. I expected that and had packed a filter. It worked just fine and I had no trouble but was very glad I had brought it. Worth the weight. The first day was hot and I needed all of both bottles between pumps and for camping.

At camp in the morning, I took my bowl of granola over to the creek and out onto the dry river stones to enjoy the misty morning air. I spotted a Bald Eagle high in a tree across the creek and, I swear, he was staring at my granola and making plans.

Two good days.
Old 08-12-22, 05:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
A few years ago, I did a pair of day rides on the GAP trail. Drove to a trailhead from the motel, and did an out-and-back 60 miles round trip each day. I liked seeing the same sights from a different perspective on the return!
I like the flexibility of this -- no advance reservations, just wait for very nice weather. I'm thinking of returning this fall and doing another section of the trail.
Old 08-12-22, 06:16 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
The Hotel Manor at Slate Run. I haven't contacted them yet, but it looks they want a minimum 2 night stay. That's not exactly working for us. Any other suggestions on places to stay? Camping is not an option.
Don't rule out Pettecote Campground in Cedar Run, they have Glamping Tents and a cabin or two right on the trail. Real beds & linen, electricity, lights, coffee maker and propane heater for the fall when we went. They may also have a 2 night min, I don't recall, we stayed 2 nights anyway.
Old 08-12-22, 10:35 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DCwom
Don't rule out Pettecote Campground in Cedar Run, they have Glamping Tents and a cabin or two right on the trail. Real beds & linen, electricity, lights, coffee maker and propane heater for the fall when we went. They may also have a 2 night min, I don't recall, we stayed 2 nights anyway.
Yep, 2 night minimum stay. Search continues. Or maybe our plans need revision...
Old 08-18-22, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Haven't ridden it since 2017. Jumped on at Ansonia during my Erie to Philly tour and headed south to Jersey Shore over two days. Camped off route near Little Pine S.P. The northern portion was definitely more interesting scenery-wise. Saw a bear in the general area of Ludwig's Trailside B&B. It jumped into the creek and swam across. The sandwiches at Wolfe's General Store in Slate Run are to die for. Unfortunately, the hotel in Slate Run also has a two-night minimum.

Old 02-29-24, 06:58 AM
Scotty0424

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love this trail. Been there twice and enjoyed it thoroughly. They are in the process of extending the trail from Ansonia straight into Wellsboro, which will eliminate a nasty stretch on Route 6. This, I'm told is going to be done in fall 2024.
Old 03-06-24, 12:24 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I like Bryan's touring videos - Here is his ride on the Pine Creek Trail