Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 07:59 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Today I got out relatively early, before 8:00 AM on my cross bike with my Bar Mitts. I finally cast aside the studded tires and rolled on my new set of 32mm Gravel Kings. I be leaving my winter wheels on for a few more weeks although. I rode 40 miles out through Carlisle and back to Waltham meandering through Weston, Lincoln, Acton and Concord in the Process. It felt so exhilarating to be back in roads that I haven’t cycled on since December. It warmed up as I was out there.
Old 03-11-19, 02:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
rode 40 miles out through Carlisle and back to Waltham meandering through Weston, Lincoln, Acton and Concord
nice! I'm guessing you successfully dodged all our new potholes?
Old 03-11-19, 03:55 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice! I'm guessing you successfully dodged all our new potholes?
I did manage to steer around most of them. Thankfully the few I hit thankfully didn’t send my to the sidelines with a flat.

i got out at 0500 this morning for a 1.8 mile ride! Despite being in the upper 30’s there was enough visible ice and black ice that I knew that there was no shame in turning around and going home. I knew this might happen if I take the studded tires off. Thankfully I went out for 25 more on my lunch break. It was a wet grimy slopfest.
Old 03-11-19, 06:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Probably only time of year those conditions are considered good
Old 03-13-19, 07:06 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Metro Boston: Good ride today? Pills & Ills edition (MB:Grt? P&I edition):

Still doing weekly PT, but they strongly encourage me to NOT ride outside whenever I might encounter snow or ice. Which has been too often. So I've been on my trainer, and also the indoor bikes at PT.

But yesterday I got out in the real world again on my bike. Felt so good. Except for extra care when unclipping from the clipless and paying attention to dismounting, especially first contact with my left foot, every moment on my bike I feel like me. Unmitigated joy spring to ride to PT and back. (Even the front shift cable snapping under the bottom bracket on the way home was like whatev.)

But I am also encouraged to walk with the trekking poles whenever. So I have been. Shoveled sidewalks require concentration (I still can't walk and chew gum at the same time), but unshoveled sidewalks require undivided attention. Even so, happy feet. From Sunday:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-13-19 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 08:52 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mr_bill
From Sunday
hahahaha, that's great!
Old 03-13-19, 05:31 PM
Ghazmh

This morning I got out for 17 miles. I was snuggled up in my Bar Mitts, SPD boots, full face balaclava and goggles. I hit a stealthy pothole that I was sure would give me a flat, it didn’t. When I put the bike on the stand I found the wheel to have a new hobble. I’m still using my stock Bontrager “winter” wheels that came with the bike, I’ll have to have that trued when I switch over to my good wheels. I snuck out for another 23 miles during my lunch break. It was a bit warmer.
Old 03-15-19, 09:45 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
This morning I got out for 17 miles. I was snuggled up in my Bar Mitts, SPD boots, full face balaclava and goggles. I hit a stealthy pothole that I was sure would give me a flat, it didn’t. When I put the bike on the stand I found the wheel to have a new hobble. I’m still using my stock Bontrager “winter” wheels that came with the bike, I’ll have to have that trued when I switch over to my good wheels. I snuck out for another 23 miles during my lunch break. It was a bit warmer.
Lucky. I hit a pothole after leaving the bike out all day during the polar vortex back in January 10 miles out and blew out a rear tube.
Old 03-15-19, 09:41 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Commute in shorts today, 58f, partly cloudy, and the smell of bbq - so nice
Old 03-15-19, 10:50 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Commute in shorts today, 58f, partly cloudy, and the smell of bbq - so nice
Since I'm well -known at work as a cyclist, I'm often asked as perfunctorily as "How ya doin?", "Did you ride your bike this morning?"

A colleague asked me that latter question as we passed each other in the hall today. I had stayed overnight so I replied, "No, unfortunately." I guess I didn't realize that his question was pointedly referring to the nice weather this morning.
Old 03-16-19, 06:58 AM
mr_bill

Yesterday first joy ride to Boston. (Well, it was really an errand run to Hmart, but took the long way from Harvard Square.)

Surprised by the Mass Ave bike lane changes when I crossed the Harvard Bridge. Where have I been? (Oh, right.)

But leave it to people whose precious is their cars, there’s a parking lane, a painted buffer, and the bike lane, so they parked their precious in the buffer.

Anyhow, even the slalom in North Cambridge makes me happy.

-mr. bill
Old 03-16-19, 08:17 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
H-Mart is awesome!

In my experience, the Friday evening commute in the city is the most perilous: Cars standing in bike lines and pulling out everywhere, distracted mobs of youth who just got their driving permits, Uber drivers navigating via stupid-phone, etc. More than other times, one must be prepared for anything on the road and maintain high visibility. Thank god I love the smell of weed, cause it's all around the streets on Friday night.

As for the N. Cambridge slalom, I try to take that dumb stretch as straight as possible.

Yesterday first joy ride to Boston...…...But leave it to people whose precious is their cars, there’s a parking lane, a painted buffer, and the bike lane, so they parked their precious in the buffer.

Anyhow, even the slalom in North Cambridge makes me happy.

-mr. bill
Old 03-17-19, 04:12 AM
Ghazmh

H-Mart is awesome!

In my experience, the Friday evening commute in the city is the most perilous: Cars standing in bike lines and pulling out everywhere, distracted mobs of youth who just got their driving permits, Uber drivers navigating via stupid-phone, etc. More than other times, one must be prepared for anything on the road and maintain high visibility. Thank god I love the smell of weed, cause it's all around the streets on Friday night.

As for the N. Cambridge slalom, I try to take that dumb stretch as straight as possible.
Surprisingly I catch a whiff of weed from passing cars when I am out in the early morning riding through the metro west suburbs far more often than I ever would have expected,
Old 03-18-19, 07:12 AM
mr_bill

Surprisingly I catch a whiff of weed from passing cars when I am out in the early morning riding through the metro west suburbs far more often than I ever would have expected,
Unfortunately for me, my strongest asthma triggers are diesel soot, cigar smoke and marijuana smoke.

The first has been declining for years. The Chevette diesels have all but departed the planet. The MBTA buses long ago got not awful. The VW scandal was all about the NOx. And we are lucky to have few coal rollers around here.

The second has also been declining for years. Even cigar smokers don't like the smell of stale cigar smoke in their car upholstery. (But, there is one guy who seems to have been banished from the home who now enjoys his cigar on the Minuteman.)

The last has held steady for years, even after Question 4. Question 4 left unchanged the smoking cannabis while driving (open container), and there is still no implied consent for drugs (unlike alcohol). The same people continue to smoke at the same few spots on the Minuteman as well.

(BTW, I loved riding in Amsterdam. An isolated coffee shop was bad, but then there is De Wallen. But, that has as much to do with Amsterdam as Bourbon Street has to do with NOLA.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-18-19, 07:54 AM
mr_bill

Rode to WFM on Saturday in Fresh Pond to gather the last of the St. Patrick's Day supplies. Didn't bring my poles for the first time (since I'd only be walking from the "parking" to the store), but ended up with carrot tops sticking out of the side of the messenger bag. No buns sighted on the way home chasing after me.

Sunday spent the afternoon in my kitchen. My homemade corned beef (which is actually brined for a week) came out terrific for the traditional New England boiled dinner. The corned salmon (which is actually corned) was wonderful too.

But the surprise was my soda bread. One version of brown soda bread is the wheaten bread, of which there are many variations. Often a 50/50 whole wheat/APF with buttermilk, often a bit of sugar, usually toasted wheat germ, and sometimes butter or margarine. Since there are so many variations, I felt no qualms of doing one more. Mine was a 50/50 rye/APF, 50/50 buttermilk/Guinness stout, barely malt syrup replacing half the sugar, toasted ground flax instead of wheat germ, and made it lean without either butter or margarine. Sort of an Irish/Danish mashup.

(Wonderful thing about quick breads is they are easy to experiment with. Next time I might use rye sour starter discard instead of buttermilk, and add some rye chops and pumpkin seed and whole flaxseed too.)

Anyhow, pulled some pics from Friday, and found my "last ride" labor day weekend too:

From Friday:

The new (to me) protected bike lane at MIT:

At the "IRE PROOF", the right hook at this corner was always a problem. But now there is a bike signal for the bike lane, the general traffic lane gets a red arrow, and there's a NO TURN ON RED SIGN. (Similar to Arlington Center.) Uber don't care:

Bus/Bike lane. Bus stop. (Bwahaha! This is a good place to stop!):

Door door door door door door door door...

From Labor Day Weekend:

The deadly gauntlet:

Longwood Valley:

Medical parking:

Porter Square:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-19-19 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 08:01 AM
mr_bill

H-Mart is awesome!
Fresh Durian is on sale for $9.99/lb. But I think bringing one home might be more unwise than bringing a Seven home.

First thing I got asked at PT yesterday, "What rosy cheeks, you rode your bike again?" Absolutely! Finally stood on my tippy-toes at 1.0G for the first time. And I've started using only one pole while walking. (Have to admit the frequent jokes about my ski poles were getting old. We'll see if they are replaced with "Where's your other ski pole?)

But I snapped the rear shift cable inside shifter. So I rode with an unusual 2x1 configuration. Riding was fine, but wish I had picked up that joke sticker "I Climbed the Minuteman Trail" at Cambridge Bicycle last week.

I even got out of the saddle a few times from stops. The first time because I simply forgot I'm not supposed to. Confessed at PT that I had sinned. "Did it hurt?" "Not at all, felt great," I answered. "OK, so long as it doesn't hurt, you can do it again, but still no steep hills."

Stopped at the forbidden LBS on the way home to pick up a shift cable. Those Sevens are just too damned beautiful.

Only grumpy is that I was too busy to replace the cable last night and will end up indoors fixing my bike on the first day of Spring.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-20-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 08:40 AM
Ghazmh

More of the same with me. Saturday I racked up 42 miles on my cross bike. It was a wet and sandy muck fest. Sunday mornings 35 mile ride I was regretting doing a haphazard job cleaning the bike and not thoroughly cleaning and lubing the drive train. That afternoon I gave it a proper cleaning and lubing. I pulled the gritty headset bearings and popped in a fresh pair and pulled and cleaned the awful internal shift cable. It’s open at the bottom below the bb so it ensures that wet sand propagates where the cable enters the housing that goes through the chain stay. After this bike having internal routing and my old Roubaix having internal cables and their awful shifting, I will never buy another. My steel road bike and touring bike both have external cables and both shift superbly. Tuesday and Wednesday mornings I rode 22 more each day as I settle into my yearly routine of chasing miles and living every second.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 03-20-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 03:42 PM
mr_bill

Not a snapped shift cable. Missing shift cable stop. Sigh.

-mr. bill
Old 03-20-19, 07:52 PM
rumrunn6

snapped shift cable. Missing shift cable stop
bummer. good luck w the remedy
Old 03-20-19, 07:54 PM
rumrunn6

took a little night ride on my old commuter roads cuz the dirt trail was less than stellar tonight. reminded me of my old rides home after work. don't miss this section on 117

Old 03-21-19, 05:44 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Not a snapped shift cable. Missing shift cable stop. Sigh.
Yipes. You might be lucky the cable didn't flop around into a sprocket or something.
Old 03-22-19, 10:17 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Greetings gang. Windshield protection meant I only wore a sweater under a windbreaker for downtown errands.

March 21 spring bent ride to town center
Old 03-22-19, 11:19 AM
rumrunn6

& omg, that is some long chain!
Old 03-22-19, 03:18 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
My new bike is ready for pickup!!! Santa's generous gift at Christmas helped me to buy my dream bike. I'll go get her tomorrow. Sunday looks like a good day for a long ride.

I'll post pictures once I have her. She's a beauty!
Old 03-23-19, 01:38 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Took Ruby out for a short spin today. Will try for a longer ride tomorrow when it should be warmer.

So far love her! I'm sure there will be some minor adjustments to make. I was most worried that I would fall over since she's much bigger than my old bike and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a foot firmly on the ground after clipping out. It wasn't a problem. I'm glad I put the pedals from my old bike on so I am already used to them. Black would look better but I can change the pedals later.

Ruby's first ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.