Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unfortunate C&V cyclist death in NYC

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unfortunate C&V cyclist death in NYC

Old 07-06-21, 09:24 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Believe me, I didn't take aland2's comment as humor. I'm not laughing at it.

-Kurt
Me either and thus the "quotation marks".
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 07-06-21, 09:27 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
Interestingly - except for a few marked exceptions - there is no Right on Red within NYC city limits, mainly due to the prevalence of pedestrian traffic.

this junction has been laid out as best it can to mitigate the dangers, with the bike lane set out to allow right-turn traffic to focus on the pedestrian crossing... it seems to work well enough the few times I have used it.
Thanks for reminding me of that - I completely forgot that NYC is one of the few sensible places in the US with no RTOR's.

I'd point out that a protected intersection is safer than that, but it does suggest that the driver of the postal truck went out of their way to break the traffic laws to right hook the rider there. Not surprising.

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 09:46 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Unless USPS was in the correct turning lane, and made the right turn into a (possibly clear?) crossing. If I were making that turn in a truck, I would scan for pedestrians in the crossing ahead before proceeding, but it's possible that I wouldn't be able to see a cyclist zipping up behind (and in my blind spot) to squeeze past inside me, esp if they're moving at a clip.

There's a "protected" lane along Brooklyn's very busy 4th Ave where large trucks are constantly making right turns, looking ahead at a clear crossing but without checking that a bike is keeping pace with them and about to go under their turning wheels.

Regrettable as it is, I have to ride around and *assume* that every driver hasn't seen me, and is about to turn across me. Spending a full day riding on the railtrails out of the city is a joyful break from all that!

Thanks for reminding me of that - I completely forgot that NYC is one of the few sensible places in the US with no RTOR's.

I'd point out that a protected intersection is safer than that, but it does suggest that the driver of the postal truck went out of their way to break the traffic laws to right hook the rider there. Not surprising.

-Kurt
Old 07-06-21, 09:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Unless USPS was in the correct turning lane, and made the right turn into a (possibly clear?) crossing. If I were making that turn in a truck, I would scan for pedestrians in the crossing ahead before proceeding, but it's possible that I wouldn't be able to see a cyclist zipping up behind (and in my blind spot) to squeeze past inside me, esp if they're moving at a clip.

There's a "protected" lane along Brooklyn's very busy 4th Ave where large trucks are constantly making right turns, looking ahead at a clear crossing but without checking that a bike is keeping pace with them and about to go under their turning wheels.

Regrettable as it is, I have to ride around and *assume* that every driver hasn't seen me, and is about to turn across me. Spending a full day riding on the railtrails out of the city is a joyful break from all that!
I really don't want to get into this armchair theorizing - which is why I don't go to A&S in the first place; I wrangle enough with inflexible DOTs and windshield bias every day and don't need this crap infiltrating my hobby - but if the driver was turning from the legal lane, where was the rider? That lane isn't wide enough for both the USPS truck and a rider to slide in AFRAP.

A protected bike lane and intersection provide similar safety treatments, but the intersections are often overlooked. NYC doesn't have protected intersections, IIRC.

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 12:19 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
A couple of protected bike lanes feature separate signal phases for bikes vs. autos, which seems to be as close as we have to protected intersections - but I've not seen anything as neat & complete as the design in that video.

A protected bike lane and intersection provide similar safety treatments, but the intersections are often overlooked. NYC doesn't have protected intersections, IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgOXM0T_6mI

-Kurt
Old 07-06-21, 12:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

A couple of protected bike lanes feature separate signal phases for bikes vs. autos, which seems to be as close as we have to protected intersections - but I've not seen anything as neat & complete as the design in that video.
I've seen those; not bad at all, but I'm always partial to a well-designed protected intersection that places pedestrians and people on bicycles well forward of the driver's stop line, well in their field of view.

Nick Falbo's video is excellent. Lots of these already built now.

https://vimeo.com/86721046

-Kurt

Old 07-06-21, 12:51 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 64 Posts
I did not find Greg's post to be negative. It is just a posting that we all need to be careful. To say he had a agenda is stupid.
Ed
Old 07-06-21, 02:10 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
My thoughts are with the family of the deceased. And what happened to him was not his fault. That said, this was a right hook, and right hooks are 100% preventable. I hope a few people will see what happened here and adjust their riding: always merge into the center of the lane before you approach an intersection. Never go into an intersection (including intersections with driveways) when you're traveling on the right side of the car traffic.
Old 07-06-21, 02:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by EddyR
I did not find Greg's post to be negative. It is just a posting that we all need to be careful. To say he had a agenda is stupid.
Ed
Not sure if this was directed to me (I think it was), but I'm not criticizing Greg - I'm criticizing the journalists who make a hash of these articles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...ia-guidelines/

-Kurt

Old 07-07-21, 09:23 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Well this took a strange, unexpected turn. I am not sure what agenda that I might have been trying to push but alas... The reasons I posted this in C&V are:

1. The article notes that the victim was the owner of a prized Bottecchia which he was riding at the time of the accident.
"The couple moved to Clifton, New Jersey, in the late 1970s, before settling on the Upper West Side in 1980. Williamson was also a pilot, but his bike was “his pride and joy,” said Brimer of her husband’s Bottecchia.“It was the only bike he used — it’s a Tour de France-style bike,” she said. “It drew attention as an old sports car in the biking community. He loved it.”
2. This was just a reminder that there are many drivers out there that should make us very aware of our surroundings at all time.
3. I most often visit C&V.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-21, 09:55 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
MAN, that is born of a woman, hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay.
In the midst of life we are in death; of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, O Lord, who for our sins art justly displeased?
Yet, O Lord God most holy, O Lord most mighty, O holy and most merciful Saviour, deliver us not into the bitter pains of eternal death.
Thou knowest, Lord, the secrets of our hearts; shut not thy merciful ears to our prayer; but spare us, Lord most holy, O God most mighty, O holy and merciful Saviour, thou most worthy Judge eternal, suffer us not, at our last hour, for any pains of death, to fall from thee.

Last edited by stevel610; 07-07-21 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 10:07 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Sorry for the man and his family.

I wear one of these riding. Everyone sees me and thinks I'm a dork (or Fred ). But EVERYONE sees me which I care a out. Whether they think I'm a dork, I could care less about.
Old 07-07-21, 10:18 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by EddyR
I wear one of these riding. Everyone sees me and thinks I'm a dork (or Fred ). But EVERYONE sees me which I care a out. Whether they think I'm a dork, I could care less about.
Everyone will see you until some motorist hits you and still claims you came out of nowhere. Hi-vis isn't a solution, it's a bandaid over car-centric infrastructure and a culture that promotes this one single mode of transportation.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-07-21, 02:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
This is A&S material but since it's too late to take it there I will close.
Likes For BillyD: