Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano tech v1.0 - worth taking a chance or waiting?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-03-21, 08:37 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

The long awaited (well for me anyway) 12 speed Shimano Di2 has arrived. Nice. I see from the GCN video the Di2 setup is slightly different from the existing 11 speed Di2 setup I have on my bike. The newer Di2 has fewer cables and a dedicated battery for front and rear derailleur shifting.

Would you consider this version 1.0 Di2 technology, since it's the first time the tech has come out for 12 speed? In my experience version 1.0 of anything is kind of dicey. Witness the original iPhone not having cut/copy/paste functionality for example. In the back of my mind I also think the first version of Di2, with the external battery, had some issues. But I could be wrong on that. Anyway...

I know Shimano will sell a boatload of bikes with 12 speed Di2. My question is, are you better off waiting a year (or more?) to see how the 12 speed Di2 plays out in the real world? Or do you think the chances of having issues with the newer tech are minimal to non-existent?
Old 09-03-21, 09:10 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You really have a problem making decisions, don't you?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-03-21, 09:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
If I were in the market (IOW, if I had the $$$ and the willingness to part with it), I'd take the plunge and not worry about it. They've got plenty of experience with electronic shifting and braking, whether hydro or cable actuated. The only thing that's v1 about it would be the communication between the levers and RD and I'm pretty confident that they'd have that pretty well ironed out (and that they'd work doggedly on it if problems did arise).
Old 09-03-21, 09:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Finally, we get a topic on BF that's not getting any discussion.
Old 09-03-21, 11:28 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
1. This tech has been out for years and was ready before the last group was announced but the bluetooth interference issues kept Shimano from releasing it until they worked it out. It's been extensively tested.
2. Shimano doesn't really make a habit out of releasing something and seeing what happens. I can not say the same for all component manufacturers.
3. I wouldn't worry about whether or not to wait. You will not get these components without buying them on a new OEM bicycle for a Looooooooooooooooong time. Years. So if you were thinking of "upgrading" your current bike and you don't already have an invite to one of the pre-orders that only certain dealers are getting then you aint going to see it until 2023 or 2024....unless you buy OE takeoffs second hand.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-03-21, 04:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I would have no issue taking the plunge.

Old 09-03-21, 06:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
The long awaited (well for me anyway) 12 speed Shimano Di2 has arrived. Nice. I see from the GCN video the Di2 setup is slightly different from the existing 11 speed Di2 setup I have on my bike. The newer Di2 has fewer cables and a dedicated battery for front and rear derailleur shifting.

Would you consider this version 1.0 Di2 technology, since it's the first time the tech has come out for 12 speed? In my experience version 1.0 of anything is kind of dicey. Witness the original iPhone not having cut/copy/paste functionality for example. In the back of my mind I also think the first version of Di2, with the external battery, had some issues. But I could be wrong on that. Anyway...

I know Shimano will sell a boatload of bikes with 12 speed Di2. My question is, are you better off waiting a year (or more?) to see how the 12 speed Di2 plays out in the real world? Or do you think the chances of having issues with the newer tech are minimal to non-existent?
Nope. Adding an extra gear doesn't suddenly make the entire Di2 tech a totally new thing. It is just slightly different as you even said yourself. This is nothing like the original iPhone! More like moving from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone 8 if you want to use that analogy.
Old 09-03-21, 07:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Would you consider this version 1.0 Di2 technology, since it's the first time the tech has come out for 12 speed?
I would consider the first version of something g to be the 1.0 version.

There are significant changes for these new groupsets, but no they aren't the 1.0 versions of di2.