Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 09:23 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,984 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
  • You’re the one who claimed to be “proving” something, so why not ditch the cheap braggadocio and post some data so we can see how much faster and fresher you are on vintage steel than modern carbon fiber?
LOL,..... Whatever chaadster. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm answering why I ride old steel. I've only been on strava for around 3 years and made the swap from C.F. before that. So I don't have a single Strava ride with C.F. data. Now I do have it all in my Garmon Connect stuff but really could care less to find it just to "prove" anything to you or anyone else. So yeah I'm all B.S. and "cheap braggadocio" but I'm good with that!

My riding is for me and my enjoyment. Never felt the need to prove anything to anyone else in the past and guess what.....I still don't, LOL!

Oops, dang it I had to come edit this because I realized I just lied. I do have some strava data on a C.F. bike. Just recently picked up an old 2001 Trek 5200 with a Triple setup to build up as a decent climbing machine for me. Still sorting it out but there are a couple of "test" rides on it and one longer climbing ride where I totally blew up. The smoke from the western fires has jacked up my lungs like never before and it got me on that ride.

Of course if I run the highest avg speed on this carbon bike when I get around to it for my "19 mph avg" challenge won't I look silly? Still a little surprised that the Y-Foil hasn't been the fastest because it seems the fastest on the rides.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-03-21 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 09:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
So, so true. I realized this years ago after perusing 7 years of my daily bike logs.

In fact I'm sort of in the process right now of proving that it's more about the rider than the bike.
LOL,..... Whatever chaadster. I'm not trying to prove anything. Never felt the need to prove anything to anyone else in the past and guess what.....I still don't, LOL!
Indeed? I’m pretty certain some Strava data would clarify the matter, but if you don’t have ‘em, you don’t have ‘em…even though it’s weird because when I first suggested you post ‘em you said:
No problem, all my rides from the past 3 or 4 years are on Strava.
But now it is a problem.

Last edited by chaadster; 09-03-21 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 10:00 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Indeed? I’m pretty certain some Strava data would clarify the matter, but if you don’t have ‘em, you don’t have ‘em…even though it’s weird because when I first suggested you post ‘em you said:

But now it is a problem.
LOL, It's the times I leave the C & V to play on the General or Road forums that make me so appreciate the C & V. No one on the C & V feels the need to always try to pick fights like here and the road.

You win, I'm full of ****. Now you can feel better. Does that work for you? I will now sell all my steel bikes, get a carbon one and ride it blissfully unaware of what my own actual experiences have been. Thank you Chaadster for making me see the light.

Oh but dang it....smarta$$ remarks aside. There's a lot of rides there on my Y-Foil and it's quite a good ride for old carbon. You can see those on my strava too. But since we're playing games now, you'll have to find that too. I prefer to remain forever known as the guy full of "cheap braggadocio" in your eyes.

It's been entertaining but this old geezer needs some sleep. Nite now Chaadster!
Old 09-04-21, 05:37 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Durability.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-04-21, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
  • You’re the one who claimed to be “proving” something, so why not ditch the cheap braggadocio and post some data so we can see how much faster and fresher you are on vintage steel than modern carbon fiber?

Thread killer
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-04-21, 08:16 AM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I ride classic steel because:

I like the look of smaller tubing and the frame proportions seem right
The BSA bottom bracket isn’t some bizarre proprietary model and I’ll be able to get parts for it down the road. Same for the external headset.
The rear can be cold set if spacing standards change.
It has a pump peg so I can carry a full size frame pump
Durability - within the stresses I’m putting on the frame there aren’t any fatigue limits
The ride is better than any CF or aluminum I’ve ridden
The frame material isn’t holding me back one iota. Nobody has proven any correlation between frame material/stiffness and speed. If I was down to 2% body fat then the minimal weight difference may make a difference on climbs, but since that will never be the case, it’s not even a thought to me
Likes For Point:
Old 09-05-21, 01:06 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I have a very good old bike. I don't think my budget allows spending for an equivalent new bike. If my budget allowed the spending, I don't have space for a 2nd bike. Further, the production bikes I can ride around here would not fit me as well as my current bike does.

I could, perhaps, find a used bike at a low price. I'd rather ride than shop. Hell, I'd rather do almost anything than shop.

If you don't understand why some people rid old steel bikes, do you ever realize that as soon as you roll your new bike out of the store, it's old, no matter what materials are used in making it?
Old 09-05-21, 08:56 PM
Nniiccoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The old steel frames are great for learning about how to completely strip and rehab an old beater. Also they make great entry level touring bikes!
Likes For Nniiccoo:
Old 09-06-21, 12:05 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So all the times I've crushed my unknowing competition don't count? How disappointing!

Drope the hamer
Old 09-08-21, 03:59 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts

The main reason I ride it… it’s just nice to look at.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 09-08-21, 06:31 PM
KLOSHE

Bikes: Domane 6.9 , Trek 5200 , Miyata 1400

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
they make the mountains look bigger.
Old 09-08-21, 08:51 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by KLOSHE
Looks like a beautiful area to ride!
Old 09-08-21, 09:06 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by KLOSHE
Turn? Again?
Old 09-09-21, 03:58 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano
There are wonderful carbon road bikes or even high end aluminium ones that feels like a breeze in your legs. They are fast, agile, reliable and super responsive. The look manly and futuristic and you are getting cool points just by riding them. Some though, choose to ride beat up, heavy oldschool road bikes instead. Why?

Please express yourself.

I ride them because I feel like they are my adoptees. I took them almost dead and with some work & a little bit of live now they are happy and alive again. And also because each one has a history to tell
That is a very subjective question. I got my first road bike in 1976. I’m 63 today. I grew up on steel bikes and just prefer them. OTH, indexed shifting and some of the other goodies we take for granted today make steel an even better choice for me personally. If you have ridden on steel, aluminum and carbon you can tell the difference in ride. It’s much more cost effective to go on a diet than spring for a CF bike to save a few pounds. But that’s just my personal opinion
Old 09-09-21, 03:10 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
A dozen years ago, I came upon a screaming deal ($85) on a very-lightly used Trek 1100 (aluminum frame/700c wheels, etc) at a garage sale. It still had the original tires! Absolutely pristine.

I figured it would be a step up from my only other road bike at the time - my '75 Fuji S-10S.

Nope! I HATED the harsh ride. I sold it at a loss (after spending $$ on new tires/tubes)

and then I joined the enablers at BF.net... so now I have many more Japanese road bikes, but ALL are lugged steel!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 09-09-21 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 03:19 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
It’s much more cost effective to go on a diet than spring for a CF bike to save a few pounds. But that’s just my personal opinion
Mine as well.. Oh, and that's another 63-yr-old's opinion.
Old 09-09-21, 09:38 PM
rwmct

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Because it was the first major purchase I ever made

(about $80 brand new in 1975) and because I still have it, and can't see not taking it out once in a while.

I really ought to give it away but I don't even know how safe it is anymore, there is some pitting in the forks.

(that seat is a padeed one someone gave me and I stuck on. The original seat was hard plastic with no padding at all)
Old 09-10-21, 01:06 PM
Frank S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Mainly because I don't want to spend the money for a new steel road bike. Not to mention a sexy, bare metal titanium framed bike.
Old 09-11-21, 11:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Why does it need to be one or the other? Steel or CF.

I ride steel (old & new), CF, Ti - and previously Al.

imo, a better Question would be:
Why do you ride just one or two bikes?
or
Given the affordability of vintage bikes, why don’t you ride at least 4 of them? Reynolds, Columbus, Tange, Ishiwata tubing.

You can become a better cyclist faster by riding your bike rather than fixating on the frame material. No nostalgia required.
Old 09-13-21, 01:44 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Because those are the ones I can afford. Oh, wait. My road bike is carbon. Three MTBs are steel.
Old 09-13-21, 04:49 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Given the affordability of vintage bikes, why don’t you ride at least 4 of them? Reynolds, Columbus, Tange, Ishiwata tubing..
You left out True Temper
Old 09-13-21, 06:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Why does it need to be one or the other? Steel or CF.
Cuz plastic bikes are fugly.
Old 09-14-21, 06:56 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Given the affordability of vintage bikes, why don’t you ride at least 4 of them? Reynolds, Columbus, Tange, Ishiwata tubing.
Originally Posted by Point
You left out True Temper
Not to mention, Falk, Durifort, Vitus, Accles & Pollock, Phoenix, etc.
Old 09-14-21, 09:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'll bite. I still have a few vintage steel bikes. Why?

They resonate with something nostalgic deep inside for me. They're the type of bike that I would not consider spending the money for when I was in high school or college, and got too busy to care in my early career or during the child rearing years. But now, I can re-live those happy simple times when I rode for hours, even if now I ride for maybe an hour and call it good.

The best steel bikes with fine wheels, if properly fit and set up, can ride awfully nicely. They're quite pleasant.

Do they ride better than modern bikes with light, aerodynamic frames and improved ergonomic controls? Um, no, they don't. Modern materials, well made frames, lighter components groupsets and wheels, even modern saddles all contribute to a pretty darn terrific ride.

So, fewer and fewer vintage bikes measure up for me. I keep a few that trigger sentimental memories of my youth and my friends growing up. And that's about it.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-14-21, 10:07 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I ride steel when it is really windy because I don’t get blown around like I do on my wide carbon tubed bikes. Nice to have a fall-back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.