Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question regarding rear derailleur compatibility

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-17-21, 07:59 PM
byhsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am interested in getting a road bike with downtube shifter, in particular the State 4130 road with 44 T chainring and 8 spd 11-28 cassette. It comes with Sunrace Downtube shifters and Sunrace Rear Derailleur.

My question is regarding the Rear Derailleur, I want to upgrade that cassette to 11-36 either 9spd or 10 spd. So i will need a 10 speed downtube shifter, but will the RD support the bigger cassette? Can I just buy a Shimano M-3100 alivio long cage RD? or can I also put an extension for the RD, I think that would be more cost effective.

Also, are the Bar End shifters from microShift and Sunrace just Downtube shifters with the brackets for the bar ends? I see online that Bar End shifters seems to be more readily available and cheaper on ebay, so I might have to get those to convert the 8 speed bike into a 9 or 10 speed bike.

Thank You for you Help.
Old 08-17-21, 08:22 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's not always easy to answer the question about comparability but sometimes going to the manufacturer's website you can glean enough information. https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...M3100-SGS.html This shows that this particular RD will work with a 36 tooth cassette. Are you looking for an indexed bar end? You need to be sure whatever you buy has the right pull ratio for this Shadow series 9 speed RD.

Sometimes it is possible to get a workaround for what you want to do. My recumbent trike had SRAM X7 drive components and I wanted to switch to a Shimano Deore RD. I followed some advice on the Sheldon Brown website to find a compatible RD and modified it with a longer "b" screw as they suggested. I did have to replace the SRAM bar end shifters with Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters. It was a rather expensive conversion but I would still do it again.
Remember, changing the drive train to 9 or 10 speed means you will have to buy a compatible chain too.
Old 08-17-21, 08:31 PM
byhsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, i want an indexed shifter so that I can put that in the downtube, the bike has an 8 speed indexed shifter, but I would like to go 9 or 10 spd with 11-36 cassette, less jumps in gear ratios compared to an 8 speed 11-36 cassette.

i've read that the Sunrace and microShift are compatible with Shimano Road components.

OK, didn't know I need a new chain. I thought it would be as easy as just buying either 9 or 10 speed bar end/ downtube shifter. a corresponding cassette and to make sure I had an RD capable to supporting the max gear 36t.

I really am no expert when it comes to bike components. Was just hoping to replace some parts and be able to use it, in fact I don't even know where the B screw is or how to adjust it.
Old 08-19-21, 04:09 PM
byhsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It's not always easy to answer the question about comparability but sometimes going to the manufacturer's website you can glean enough information. https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...M3100-SGS.html This shows that this particular RD will work with a 36 tooth cassette. Are you looking for an indexed bar end? You need to be sure whatever you buy has the right pull ratio for this Shadow series 9 speed RD.

Sometimes it is possible to get a workaround for what you want to do. My recumbent trike had SRAM X7 drive components and I wanted to switch to a Shimano Deore RD. I followed some advice on the Sheldon Brown website to find a compatible RD and modified it with a longer "b" screw as they suggested. I did have to replace the SRAM bar end shifters with Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters. It was a rather expensive conversion but I would still do it again.
Remember, changing the drive train to 9 or 10 speed means you will have to buy a compatible chain too.
how do i find this pull ratio for the Alivio Derailleur? i didn't see anything on the link provided or the manual on the link.

I will probably be using MicroShift downtube or bar end shifters 9 speed indexed. I have settled on a 9 speed cassette 11-36: 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36

Thank You
Old 08-20-21, 08:23 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Here is a source for information on pull ratios for all brands of RD. Your 9 speed Shimano RD should have a pull ratio of 1.9 so any bar end shifter with that ratio will index correctly.

Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility

https://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/
Old 08-20-21, 01:53 PM
byhsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information, I will try to study the chart.