Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carpal Tunnel Surgery and Return to Riding/Racing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 01:45 PM
henrik99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Curious about anyone's experience in having carpal tunnel surgery (standard open carpal tunnel release) and returning to riding. How long before you returned to riding?...how long after returning to riding before it felt good/painless/normal?...how was your overall experience?...etc. I'm weighing my options on surgery and it's impact on my riding and racing (cyclocross mostly these days) is a huge factor.

By preference, the great majority of my riding is on my cyclocross bike on trails and gravel with some road mixed in to get there. This has me worried as the weight on my hands in the hoods seems like it will be placed directly on the incision/surgical site, and while most of the trails/gravel around here are not overly technical, they definitely can get good and pitted/bumpy/washboardy. I don't hit my MTB much anymore, partly due to hand numbness associated with my carpal tunnel syndrome that I'm hoping will be alleviated by the surgery. If it does alleviate the issue, I plan to work more in on the MTB. I stick to the roads/gravel in mud season.

Thanks in advance for any insight to your experiences.

Last edited by henrik99; 08-30-21 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fixing formatting
Old 08-30-21, 05:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my right (dominant) hand two years ago. My symptoms had become bad enough that it no longer took riding a bike to cause numbness. I had long since transitioned to riding recumbent bikes and trikes where there is no pressure on my hands. The relief was really fast, within a week or so the numbness was gone and I could work the hand as normal. I couldn't ride until the 4 stitches in the keyhole surgery had been removed, about 3 weeks. I went right back to riding my recumbent and it was fine. Of course I still don't ride my MTBs any significant distance so can't tell you how that would work out. I would need to have the same surgery on my left hand which was nowhere near as bad as the right hand. Insurance covered the $10K bill for one hand but since the other hand does not give me problems in daily life, I didn't bother.
Old 08-30-21, 08:09 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I'm sure your doctor will have some advice. But the one issue is that they generally say "You can resume your normal activities" but they have no idea you will be crashing down narrow trails or some such unless you inform that of what YOU consider normal activities. My hip replacement surgeon had fits when I said I had gone cross country skiing at 3 months!

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old 09-24-21, 03:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
can't answer those exact questions but are they still doing those? Wifey had arthroscopic? very fast recovery. she's had another hand surgery & also broke a wrist. all recoveries were fast, I thought. she's an art teacher but only rides a bike a handful of times each year. good luck!
Old 09-24-21, 03:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
I had ulnar nerve release surgery about 35 years ago. Had nerve release surgery on my elbow during the same operation (broke that elbow at age 11, just before a growth spurt, and the maturing bone deformed, resulting in lifelong severely restricted joint motion and pressure on the ulnar nerve).

Can't remember how long i waited before resuming cycling, but the surgeon's advice to use gloves with gel padding proved inadequate. Thus, I installed clip-on aero bars on all my bikes and have continued to do so with each new bike since. I can ride without using the aero bars for maybe 20 to 30 minutes (depending on which bike I'm riding) before my hand goes numb, Using the aero bars. ride time without hand numbness is effectively unlimited.
Old 09-24-21, 04:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I had surgery on my left wrist and I was back riding on the road in about 10 weeks. I was riding my trainer in about 5.

Old 09-26-21, 01:53 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
For me it was 6 weeks after carpal tunnel releases; I needed both hands done. Pre-surgery, my hands went and stayed numb after a few miles. Moving my hands gave relief, but not for long. The signal to get the surgery, for me, was having difficulty with the brakes. Since the surgery, they generally don't go numb at all on my 20-30 miles rides, and I can always use my brakes.
Old 09-26-21, 06:23 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
My doctor released me to ride when my stitches were removed after a week I think. I had other issues in my wrist though, cartilage damage that required
more surgery. This was not discovered until I was still in pain after the release surgery. That’s a long story.
If carpal tunnel is the only issue , recovery should be quick with the modern arthroscopic method.