Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Dura Ace R9200 announcement on GCN

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-31-21, 12:09 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 08-31-21, 12:45 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Its all over YT. Cycling tips here:

Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 08-31-21, 01:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
12sp cassettes fit on current 11sp hubs. good. new wheels/hubs arent needed.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-31-21, 01:46 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Biggest news I saw: Ultegra and Dura-Ace are Di2 only. No more mechanical at those levels.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 08-31-21, 02:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Biggest news I saw: Ultegra and Dura-Ace are Di2 only. No more mechanical at those levels.
But rim and disc are available. Glad they made the shift buttons larger and easier to differentiate.

Sram dropped mechanical shifting also.
Old 08-31-21, 03:00 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
No mention of brake lever reach adjustment. Not being a shimano user, I don't know if this is available. I use it with my sram force axs levers. With sram, having only two contact points controlling all shifting seems like a better idea. Sram batteries last a long time and with a spare, you'll never be out of service. I like taking my batteries to the charger instead of the whole bike. My axs drivetrain has more range. My top gear equals a 53/11 and the low is 31/36 or 31/33. I cheat with shimano grx cranks.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 08-31-21, 03:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
But rim and disc are available. Glad they made the shift buttons larger and easier to differentiate.

Sram dropped mechanical shifting also.
Less support for rim brakes. Sad.
Old 08-31-21, 03:57 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
No more 53/39, wut I run. I guess I was the last one.
Old 08-31-21, 04:01 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
No mention of brake lever reach adjustment. Not being a shimano user, I don't know if this is available.
It is.
Old 08-31-21, 04:18 PM
ilovehelmets

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only difference between Dura-ace and Ultegra is 200g and $1700.

I wonder how long before this makes it to the 105 level...one can dream.
Old 08-31-21, 04:57 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
12sp cassettes fit on current 11sp hubs. good. new wheels/hubs arent needed.
^ This was the news I was hoping for.

Very surprised to see Ultegra go 12-speed at the same time - plus both Dura Ace and Ultegra going Di2 only! No mechanical version.

I'm still trying to confirm whether my new bike (on order for a while) will come with the 11-speed or 12-speed version of Dura Ace Di2, hopefully it's the latter!
Old 08-31-21, 05:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yeah, 53/39 with an 11 cog is probably not the most in demand setup.
Old 08-31-21, 05:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10245 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Yeah, 53/39 with an 11 cog is probably not the most in demand setup.
Instead, they're offering a 54/40.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-01-21, 02:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
It's a sad day. Still today, most frames being ridden have cable housing stops all over them so if you want to upgrade to a new Ultegra group it's going to look like crap. So stupid. I think I'm about to order an R8000 group just to have before they totally disappear, which won't be long. Matter of fact, if I was smart I'd buy a bunch of R8000 stuff now and make a nice profit in the future.
Old 09-01-21, 03:06 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Profit from antiquated mechanical drivetrains? I don't think so.

I will ride my last mechanical generation Dura Ace for years to come (it really is great), when it is time to upgrade the bike I will go with electronic DA with hydraulic discs and everything integrated. Really dig the new generation Dura-ace.
Old 09-01-21, 03:21 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Exciting stuff. But, until I can score a new groupset, I'm just going to sit over here and eat popcorn while the luddites bemoan that they don't want electronic shifting or disc brakes, and then tell us their 20-year old frames can't run this stuff...giggling my ass off because if they had bothered to buy even one new bike or a groupset in the last 10, or even 5, years with mechanical shifting and rim brakes they could have voted their preference for these things. Let's face it Shimano (and other component manufacturers) care about what they are selling, not what we are riding...and if you aren't buying, you aren't voting. But, guess what, guys like me who have bought 3 bikes and 2 new groupsets in the last 4 years did vote, and Shimano heard us, because...well, you get the idea.

Electronic shifting, disc brakes, 12-speed...none of that was foisted on us, it is because those of us who bought stuff in the last few years sent clear signals through our purchasing that we wanted those things. If you weren't buying, sure, you feel like it was forced on you, but don't get mad at Shimano, get mad at me.

Last edited by Badger6; 09-01-21 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 03:32 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
But, Kimmo will be happy to know that the venerable cup-and-cone (bane of my existence...I can never seem to get it just right, probably need more practice) have remained in the hubs.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-01-21, 05:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Great opportunity for Microshift. There's a void waiting to be filled.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-01-21, 06:45 AM
seypat

What's old is new again. What happened to the compact? Sure seems to be some big rings on the front for the average Joe. How're they going to get up the hills on a 54/40 11-28? I've been saying it for some time. Once the FD becomes electronic, you'll see the return of the triple. I'm guessing when the trickle down goes to the other groups you'll see a 54/40/28 or 30 crank become available. Might even see it on these two.
Old 09-01-21, 06:57 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
I'm wondering when either group set will actually be available for purchase and delivery. One video stated, "You *should* be able to buy bikes with the new Dura Ace right now." I'd be surprised if the average person (in the USA) will be able to get their hands on these group sets before 2023 with all the inventory issues currently going on. I'm sure you'll be able to place an order for a bike or the group sets right now, but who knows when you'll actually get either.

That aside, I like all the incremental refinements that appear to be in the new group sets. In the 25+ years I've been riding Shimano, each new group set has been "just a little better" than the last and the 12 speed groups appear to continue that tradition. I'm fine with the mechanical group sets going away, but I'd have to think that'll leave quite a price gap between a mechanical 105 equipped bike and an Ultegra Di2 equipped bike unless Shimano radically drops the price of the new Di2 (not holding my breath on that!)

This video helped me understand some of the design decisions in the new group sets, such as the symmetrical crank design, the larger brake levers, mountain bike calipers, etc.:

Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 09-01-21, 07:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Badger6
Exciting stuff. But, until I can score a new groupset, I'm just going to sit over here and eat popcorn while the luddites bemoan that they don't want electronic shifting or disc brakes, and then tell us their 20-year old frames can't run this stuff...giggling my ass off because if they had bothered to buy even one new bike or a groupset in the last 10, or even 5, years with mechanical shifting and rim brakes they could have voted their preference for these things. Let's face it Shimano (and other component manufacturers) care about what they are selling, not what we are riding...and if you aren't buying, you aren't voting. But, guess what, guys like me who have bought 3 bikes and 2 new groupsets in the last 4 years did vote, and Shimano heard us, because...well, you get the idea.

Electronic shifting, disc brakes, 12-speed...none of that was foisted on us, it is because those of us who bought stuff in the last few years sent clear signals through our purchasing that we wanted those things. If you weren't buying, sure, you feel like it was forced on you, but don't get mad at Shimano, get mad at me.
So you claim that if people with bikes that work perfectly well had spent more money and consumed more, even though they didnt need to, we wouldnt have electronic shifting and disc brakes?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-01-21, 07:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by seypat
Great opportunity for Microshift. There's a void waiting to be filled.
For sure. They just need to figure out a workaround to allow their dual paddle tech to shift while routing shift cables under the bar tape. I am pretty sure exposed cables is a hard pass moving forward for most consumers.
Since SRAM seems to be done with doubletap, itd be neat if they licensed it out to Microshift which would solve the exposed cables.
Microshift does have some road shifters with hidden cables, but they have that thumb button for shifting too. The dual paddle style they designed is really kinda nice.
Old 09-01-21, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
What's old is new again. What happened to the compact? Sure seems to be some big rings on the front for the average Joe. How're they going to get up the hills on a 54/40 11-28? I've been saying it for some time. Once the FD becomes electronic, you'll see the return of the triple. I'm guessing when the trickle down goes to the other groups you'll see a 54/40/28 or 30 crank become available. Might even see it on these two.
Where are you getting this from? Cycling Tips is indicating that the 50/34 Compact is still here and, for the first time, you can do 1:1 within DA/Ultegra; since there's only one RD cage size (and assuming that there aren't some sub-compact cranks not listed) this seems to mean that the both the DA and Ultegra RDs will handle a 34t out of the box - https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/new-...thing-to-know/

Up front are some revamped chainring pairings — 50/34T, 52/36T, and 54/40T — and as expected, the outer chainrings are hollow aluminum pieces for vastly improved bending rigidity (and shift performance) relative to more traditional flat-plate construction. Notably missing from that list is the traditional 53/39T, which Shimano says just wasn’t big enough for how much faster top racers are moving these days. But at the other end, the new cassette options mean that — for the first time ever — you can now get a factory 1:1 climbing gear with Dura-Ace and Ultegra without having to resort to aftermarket components. Yes, yes, and more yes.
(my bolding)
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-21, 07:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
The issue, if there is one, is not so much the notion that there is no longer mechanical shifting, but that there's no option to not pay the ~$1K that is seen as the typical add-on for Di2. If Di2 were always sold at the same price as mech, I'd guess that there'd be much less grumbling.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-01-21, 07:37 AM
seypat

For sure. They just need to figure out a workaround to allow their dual paddle tech to shift while routing shift cables under the bar tape. I am pretty sure exposed cables is a hard pass moving forward for most consumers.
Since SRAM seems to be done with doubletap, itd be neat if they licensed it out to Microshift which would solve the exposed cables.
Microshift does have some road shifters with hidden cables, but they have that thumb button for shifting too. The dual paddle style they designed is really kinda nice.
I used some R9s for the first time this past weekend on a century. They work good. Easy to set up. Took 1 two mile shakedown ride, then shipped the bike to it's destination. Pulled it out of the box. No adjustment needed. They were paired with a Sakae crank, Deore RD and Suntour FD. The key here is the 12 speed will work on the 11 speed hubs. That being the case, all Microshift has to do is offer some shifters and derailleurs that work. They also as you stated, have to have the cables hidden.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.