Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New giant talon 1 or 0 crankset question

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-08-21, 09:38 AM
distance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see the new giant talon 1 or 0 come with 1x12 deore components except the crankset, which is some Chinese off brand prowheel. I likely would want to upgrade the crankset or very least the chainring to 34. Anyone with a late model talon do this know what plug and play chainring or crankset would be compatible with the frame and deore 1x12 cassette?

many thanks
Old 09-08-21, 03:23 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's a fairly standard symmetric 4-bolt 104 BCD chainring based on the prowheel website. Lots of brands make them. Double check that you have room for a slightly larger chainring. Radius will increase by the same ratio as the increase in teeth. If you have the 29er version, current chainring should be 32, so the new one will be 34/32=1.06 times larger.

If you want to change the whole crank, it appears to be a standard 73mm threaded square taper bottom bracket, so you could likely swap in any threaded BB+crank combo. Just make sure you're getting a similar chainline. A hollowtech or similar will be lighter but more expensive.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 09-09-21, 08:18 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
1. How do you know there is anything wrong with the crankset if you haven't tried it yet?,

2. How do you know that the stock chainring doesn't suit you, if you haven't tried it yet?
Old 09-09-21, 03:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,948 Times in 2,640 Posts
I gotta actually agree with Drippy on this one. Though I would upgrade personally because I am not really a prowheel fan, usually found on relatively cheap bikes and usually heavy but in the end I may not upgrade an entry level bike too much in places I don't need too. Cockpit and touch points probably yes, tires potentially at least might consider tubeless but may want something different but cranks are pretty low on the list.
Old 09-09-21, 06:42 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I gotta actually agree with Drippy on this one. Though I would upgrade personally because I am not really a prowheel fan, usually found on relatively cheap bikes and usually heavy but in the end I may not upgrade an entry level bike too much in places I don't need too. Cockpit and touch points probably yes, tires potentially at least might consider tubeless but may want something different but cranks are pretty low on the list.
Unless you know of a specific arm length you like, there is zero reason to look into changing the stock crankset, especially when its highly unlikely to be taking away from riding that bike.
Old 09-10-21, 08:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Unless you know of a specific arm length you like, there is zero reason to look into changing the stock crankset, especially when its highly unlikely to be taking away from riding that bike.
Says the guy that wants to put a rigid fork on his carbon bike...

Old 09-10-21, 08:47 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by prj71
Says the guy that wants to put a rigid fork on his carbon bike...

I'm too frightened of how fast it will be. I'm still well within this bikes limits
Old 09-13-21, 05:29 AM
distance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. How do you know there is anything wrong with the crankset if you haven't tried it yet?,

2. How do you know that the stock chainring doesn't suit you, if you haven't tried it yet?
Several K KM pedaling around 34/11 to know that’s a lot more useful to me than 30/11 without any practical loss at the other end. But your right, no harm in wearing this one out a little before upgrading,
Old 09-13-21, 09:29 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by distance
Several K KM pedaling around 34/11 to know that’s a lot more useful to me than 30/11 without any practical loss at the other end. But your right, no harm in wearing this one out a little before upgrading,
I agree, 30 x 11 can be undergeared, but not necessarily for the trail terrain the bike is designed for.

I see the talon 0 has a 11-51 cassette and the talon 1 has an 11-42.

If you intend to use this bike on singletrack, you will be very undergeared on any proper trail climbing with a 34t x 42t.

For reference, my felt (29" wheels, 26/36, 11-42t seems to work well because I have plenty of gearing for any climb yet I will be going way too fast to worry about spinning out with 36/11 on singletrack.

You could maybe try a 32t, it would feel better for sure. But remember that if youre not using this bike on singletrack, the gearing will be just completely wrong.

Interesting how the 29" wheel version has a 32 front ring over 30t to account for the higher gear inch of using a 29er.

Other thing I must add, if you want to make the most of that bike, the suntour fork has to go. It would actually give you a much better idea of what sort of front chainring you'll want.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 09-13-21, 10:46 AM
distance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, 30 x 11 can be undergeared, but not necessarily for the trail terrain the bike is designed for.

I see the talon 0 has a 11-51 cassette and the talon 1 has an 11-42.

If you intend to use this bike on singletrack, you will be very undergeared on any proper trail climbing with a 34t x 42t.

For reference, my felt (29" wheels, 26/36, 11-42t seems to work well because I have plenty of gearing for any climb yet I will be going way too fast to worry about spinning out with 36/11 on singletrack.

You could maybe try a 32t, it would feel better for sure. But remember that if youre not using this bike on singletrack, the gearing will be just completely wrong.

Interesting how the 29" wheel version has a 32 front ring over 30t to account for the higher gear inch of using a 29er.

Other thing I must add, if you want to make the most of that bike, the suntour fork has to go. It would actually give you a much better idea of what sort of front chainring you'll want.
yup zeroing in on the talon 0, giant xc air fork, 11-51. Almost all singletrack and commuting, fairly flat area I live thus the gearing switch desire. Thanks for the good input,
Old 09-13-21, 11:10 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by distance
yup zeroing in on the talon 0, giant xc air fork, 11-51. Almost all singletrack and commuting, fairly flat area I live thus the gearing switch desire. Thanks for the good input,
If you find like 30t or even 32t is not enough most of the time, I think this bike may not be the most ideal choice based on where you are riding.