Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your favorite car?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Your favorite car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 08:57 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
No favorite really. I like cars and driving and stuff, but they are more about the utility of getting from point A to point B than something that inspires passion. My current ride is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. Insanely versatile in the hatchback version, pretty roomy and comfy for a compact (and I'm 6'-2", 220).

Mine is silver! My bike fits, front wheel off, in front of the back seat.

My all time favorite car was my dad's '65 Mustang convertible. It was forest green with a white top, had a 289 V8 (not the fast one) and was an automatic. LOVED that car!

Another car I really liked was the car the boyfriend of a girlfriend of mine in HS had - a 1970 Hemi Charger. Wow, was that thing fast and mean - and pretty!
Old 12-11-11, 09:01 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I test drove a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT back in 2005 and really liked it. Reviewers liked them too. The manual tranny version was a lot peppier than the auto. I thought it drove a lot like a Saab.
It looks like a Saab, too. Mine is the GLS with a manual. I just put a NICE stereo in it, too! I like my Hyundai...!
Old 12-11-11, 09:08 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

How about Car Shows (as in on TV)?

My favorites are on Velocity - "Chasing Classic Cars" (Wayne KNOWS his stuff), "Wheeler Dealers" (God, those guys are CUTE!), and "Cafe Racer" (I ride a motorcycle).

Yes, I'm a chick - wanna make sumthin' of it???

Old 12-11-11, 10:21 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I've owned several 4WD Subaru wagons, starting with a new one in 1978. I really liked the performance in snow and back roads along with the high gas mileage compared to other SUVs. Put a good roof rack on these cars and you are ready for any winter or summer activity with your friends. For a couple reasons I needed a larger vehicle so bought a Honda Pilot, but I'm looking at Subbie again and will probably buy a Forester this year. The combination of price, performance and fuel efficiency is a winning combination for what I need a vehicle to do.
Old 12-11-11, 04:54 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Well, big Healey for me . . . sold my Mk III Sprite in 1988 and picked this up in 1989, haven't been able to part with it so guess it's my fav . . . although . . . I dragged home a Sunbeam barn find this summer, and it may be the one to supplant the Healey after I spend a couple years prospecting for rust and redoing the mechanicals.

Old 12-11-11, 05:25 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
I dragged home a Sunbeam barn find this summer, and it may be the one to supplant the Healey after I spend a couple years prospecting for rust and redoing the mechanicals.

260 ford V8?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-11-11, 07:08 PM
Wilbur Bud

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
260 ford V8?
Yepper, although it came with hipo 289 installed, the 260 was there in pieces so I took both, although I'm not sure yet the date code matches closely enough for the 260 and the vehicle to be the right matched set. Haven't looked inside either one yet to see if any, both, or neither will be OK - it hadn't been switched on since maybe 1983 so I won't be firing it up without some work. Looks like 4 bbl, 4 speed, and posi too, so should be fun once it hooks up.

Last edited by Wilbur Bud; 12-12-11 at 11:17 AM. Reason: in2on
Old 12-11-11, 10:03 PM
kenaero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yepper, although it came with hipo 289 installed, the 260 was there in pieces so I took both, although I'm not sure yet the date code matches closely enough for the 260 and the vehicle to be the right matched set. Haven't looked inside either one yet to see if any, both, or neither will be OK - it hadn't been switched in since maybe 1983 so I won't be firing it up without some work. Looks like 4 bbl, 4 speed, and posi too, so should be fun once it hooks up.
Missed it by THIS much!
Old 12-11-11, 10:17 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Shelby's and GT-40 mmmmmmm

Beside the GT-40 is a very sexy Shelby Daytona...

Last edited by M_Wales; 12-11-11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 11:37 PM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT40 is so sexy...
Old 12-11-11, 11:39 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Spend as much time on the shoulder as I do and there's no contest: the Elgin Crosswind.
Old 12-12-11, 12:18 AM
ChasH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wilbur, Sir. That Sunbeam sounds like a terrific find and I congratulate you on your sound judgement. You're clearly a man of great taste and vision.

Naturally you'll be wishing to show proper respect for the Sunbeam after the rebuild by letting go of that dusty old Healey. Just let me know when you're ready to do the right thing and I'll take it off your hands.

Thanking you in advance,
your pal Chas.

Last edited by ChasH; 12-12-11 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 06:15 AM
fendersc
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to share that my most favorite car is Gallardo Lamborghini. From my point of view, the elegance of every Lamborghini rests on both its extreme power and precise functionality.
Old 12-12-11, 09:26 AM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
64 Caddy Eldorado convertible. It was my first Cad and she was a beauty. Dark metallic green and black top and leather seats. I still get misty just thinking about her and the good times we had.
Old 12-14-11, 11:28 AM
Wilbur Bud

Originally Posted by Chief
Missed it by THIS much!
Wow, I'd accuse you of using too obscure of a reference, except this is in 50+ and since the vehicle carried forward from the TV series to the movie, maybe someone noticed it recently, well done.

Originally Posted by ChasH
Wilbur, Sir. That Sunbeam sounds like a terrific find and I congratulate you on your sound judgement. You're clearly a man of great taste and vision.

Naturally you'll be wishing to show proper respect for the Sunbeam after the rebuild by letting go of that dusty old Healey. Just let me know when you're ready to do the right thing and I'll take it off your hands.

Thanking you in advance,
your pal Chas.
Dear Chas, you know, you're right, I'll be by to drop it off soon, go out to the street now and wait for me.
Old 12-14-11, 11:39 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite cars that I have owned are:
1971 Mercedes Benz 220 Diesel
1992 Land Rover Range Rover
Old 12-14-11, 12:01 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
my favorite car I've owned was my 75 Cosworth Vega (#1070). this is not it, but it's a Cosworth. mine had period correct aftermarket front and rear spoilers.

my favorite car I've coveted is the Mercedes CLS55 AMG. I don't see this car ever being replaced as my all-time favorite car. It's so beautiful.

Old 12-14-11, 12:18 PM
werks

Bikes: Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being partial to roadsters, I love the Cobra, Healey, and Tiger in this thread. My old MGA and Midget were a blast !
However, in my garage, the Aprilia Falco is my favorite with the Triumph Sprint a close second.
The German cars in the back row are lots of fun too

Tom

Last edited by werks; 12-14-11 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 12:18 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Looking back on it now in practical terms, this should rate as my least favorite car ever, but because of the time slot it occupied in my life, and the good times I associate with it, it still ranks as my all time favorite.
It was not my first car, but it was the first one I purchased brand new. A 1972 Gremlin X powered by a 304 cid V8 with a 3 on the floor.
I drove this car for a whole summer with no starter motor believe it or not. Always seemed to be able to park on enough of a slope to roll start it, or con somebody into pushing me.
The original colour was purple, but after resurrecting it from a crash, I had it painted black.

As for the colour scheme on the house trim, well, what can I say, it was the 70s after all. We can all look back and say, what the heck were we thinking?
Old 12-14-11, 01:06 PM
majorbanjo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My last car was 2003' 50th anniversary vette Z06..

My current is a 2012 Mustang GT California Special....frankly the Mustang is a lot easier to live with as a daily driver....Love it....

With winter wheels and tires in Landstuhl Germany.....

Old 12-15-11, 08:52 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any VW diesel. Great cars!
Old 12-15-11, 02:19 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Our favorite car(s) are our current ,bought when new, 1993 Chevy Suburban & 1996 Chevy K1500 Pick up.

Both have just over 100,000 miles with 200,000 miles left in them.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 12-15-11, 05:52 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Majorbanjo, that Mustang is PRETTY! Do you have this motor in it?

Old 12-15-11, 06:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Well, big Healey for me . . . sold my Mk III Sprite in 1988 and picked this up in 1989, haven't been able to part with it so guess it's my fav . . . although . . . I dragged home a Sunbeam barn find this summer, and it may be the one to supplant the Healey after I spend a couple years prospecting for rust and redoing the mechanicals.

Would you believe...............that Maxwell Smart has been looking for a car like that to replace his Tiger?
Old 12-15-11, 08:12 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Here is my Invader/VW on the dock at the University of Washington Oceanography Department in June of 1974. 120 hp,1450 pounds, 1 1/2 turns lock to lock, and a rock-hard suspension describe its character. The best adventure was an overnight drive from Seattle to San Francisco on winding Route 1 along the shore. The other really good memories mostly involve returning from an autocross on a warm Sunday afternoon, covered with tire dust and a set of Formula Ford race tires bungeed to the roll bar behing me.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
03asats.jpg (77.3 KB, 11 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.