Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How necessary is bringing a shock pump?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-22-19, 12:07 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I'm planning a two-month bikepacking trip on a hardtail. If I'm usually comfortable with a certain amount of pressure in my front suspension, would it be reasonable to set it beforehand and leave the shock pump at home all summer?

Most of the riding is going to be dirt/gravel roads, with some easy-moderate trails mixed in. XC-style riding. Probably my worst enemies will be washboard and sand.
Old 02-22-19, 01:30 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
I'm planning a two-month bikepacking trip on a hardtail. If I'm usually comfortable with a certain amount of pressure in my front suspension, would it be reasonable to set it beforehand and leave the shock pump at home all summer?

Most of the riding is going to be dirt/gravel roads, with some easy-moderate trails mixed in. XC-style riding. Probably my worst enemies will be washboard and sand.
Like anything else dependent on air pressure for proper function, air shocks typically depressurize with use/time, thus the need for a pump. Some require pumping before each use, depending on use/user. Ride your bike unloaded a few times and observe the shock pressure change, then you can estimate an interval for pumping/repressurization.

Going the whole summer without needing to pump up seems highly improbable.
Old 02-22-19, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Put a Rigid suspension corrected (blade length) Replacement fork on and leave the air oil one home?..

+ then you can put front pannier racks & bags on..

But maybe practice using the pump you have to inflate your tires, that you Must have , & see if it can serve both functions?

Old 02-22-19, 02:31 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
As seeker said. If you find that you don't have to air it up too often, and you know you'll be going through towns that might have bike shops every week or two, I say just stop in at the bike shops and ask them if they'd let you use one real quick, or top it up for you. You'll also get the chance to maybe see some cool local shops, they might enjoy hearing about, or at least seeing someone out on a cool bikepacking adventure, etc. It's always fun to stop somewhere with bikes or beer.