Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 01:48 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Shoes

Hey everyone, been a while since Ive been round these parts. Slowly starting to get back into cycling, got a Peloton to establish a base level of fitness for the warmer weather. But, Ive run into a bit of a snag.

I need new shoes. Ive noticed as Ive gotten older my feet have gotten wider. I was wearing Sidi Megas back when I cycled a lot. I dug them out and theyre nowhere NEAR wide enough.

Ive been out of the game a long time so I dont even know whats available. I dont want MTB shoes if I can avoid it and Im not trying to order a zillion dollar pair of shoes.

Anyone got any suggestions? I wear a EE in sneakers so not sure what my options are.
Old 03-11-21, 08:44 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Go with custom shoes or conventional shoes and wide long pedals.
Old 03-11-21, 09:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Shimano makes certain models in wide. I'm a 4E, they fit well.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-11-21, 11:40 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Lake has wide shoes, follow their directions for sizing them. They aren't cheap cost about the same as Sidi's (depending on the model).
Old 03-12-21, 08:32 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Lake has wide shoes, follow their directions for sizing them. They aren't cheap cost about the same as Sidi's (depending on the model).
I ordered a set of Lake CX-421s. They seem to be the leading favorite for wide feet. If they dont work, I may have to go custom.

Fingers crossed!
Old 03-19-21, 03:40 PM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Why not an MTB shoe? Is your Peloton strictly used on road rides?
Because I mainly ride on the road so I dont want to invest a lot in mtb shoes. Plus my wife has different pedals on her mountain bike. We both use Speedplays on the road.

The Lake shoes I bought ended up being awesome even if they did cost a small fortune. Probably the best shoe I've ever had for cycling.
Likes For JayC:
Old 03-21-21, 05:20 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I’m glad you found Lake. Other companies make wide shoes by making the upper wider, while Lake makes the sole wider too. Lake even makes an extra wide. Worth every penny!
Old 03-21-21, 04:56 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I will second the Shimano wide. Past years I thought they were terrible and had ridden with Lake for years. Lake are good but are getting spendy, so I tried shimano again. For some reason they are excellent now. Better than years ago. Still were not cheap but I think they are better than Lake in quality.
Old 03-21-21, 09:57 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
It all depends on where on your feet the width is. The sizing guides on Bont and Lake websites don't quite account for this. Maximum width of my foot is behind the ball, which is a little unusual. Lakes are too narrow for me, and a Bont double-wide will probably work after I heat mold it.

Trace your feet on graph paper & send the scans to Lake & Bont and they can probably tell you if their lasts are compatible with your feet.

​​​​​​For reference, I'm right on the threshold between a US14 and US15, and between a D and an EE, depending on the manufacturer.

PS -- Lake and Bont were the only things that came close fit wise. I didn't like the fact that Sidi Megas only used wider uppers with the same sole, and other brands I tried that were locally available (Bontrager, Giro, PI, Shimano, maybe others I can't remember) either didn't have the length, or the width, or both.

Last edited by MiPeGr; 03-21-21 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 11:04 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
It all depends on where on your feet the width is. The sizing guides on Bont and Lake websites don't quite account for this. Maximum width of my foot is behind the ball, which is a little unusual. Lakes are too narrow for me, and a Bont double-wide will probably work after I heat mold it.

Trace your feet on graph paper & send the scans to Lake & Bont and they can probably tell you if their lasts are compatible with your feet.

​​​​​​For reference, I'm right on the threshold between a US14 and US15, and between a D and an EE, depending on the manufacturer.

PS -- Lake and Bont were the only things that came close fit wise. I didn't like the fact that Sidi Megas only used wider uppers with the same sole, and other brands I tried that were locally available (Bontrager, Giro, PI, Shimano, maybe others I can't remember) either didn't have the length, or the width, or both.
I had one of the first pair of cycling shoes Bont ever made. I used to be an inline skater so I got to know Alexander Bont through skating and when I transitioned to cycling, I had one of their early pairs.

The Lake shoes seem to be spot on. They are crazy adjustable and fit great. IM happy with them. Im not super sold on the Boa setup as I had a pair of Specialized that used that setup and it broke in about a month but that was years ago. Im sure theyre more reliable.