Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which 2021 Endurance Road Bike? Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which 2021 Endurance Road Bike? Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by mizer2167
I had a chance to try the Trek Domane and Specialized Roubaix recently. Initial impressions of the Roubaix Sport left me feeling the flex in front end would take getting used to. The shop said there were medium springs in the front end and I think they might've been too light for my weight (107kg) though.

The Domane was very stable; I didn't notice the Isoflex at all, it flex more isolated from the road but more smooth, albeit a bit numb. My impression was it was a heavy bike though. Unfortunately, the earliest I could get my hands on one in my size is summer next year.

I tried a Tarmac as well and was much more pleased with how it felt, but of the three the geometry on the Domane was the most livable.

I'm considering a Canyon Endurace, since I can get a 105 group for about the same price as Tiagra in the others and it might be a better idea than upgrading my old bike, plus it's available a few weeks from now. I'm hoping it might be a blend of the Domane's geometry with the liveliness of the Tarmac.
Looking at the geometry, the Endurace is quite a bit more racey than the Domane i.e. lower stack, steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase. The Endurace is actually much closer to the Tarmac on geometry, but not as aggressive on reach and stack.
Old 07-30-21, 06:35 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 2 years ago. I mounted my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and really liked the bike. This past winter, I upgraded to an Ultegra Di2 groupset and now I love the bike even more. You cannot go wrong, though, with the 105 configuration.
Old 07-30-21, 06:59 PM
mizer2167

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Looking at the geometry, the Endurace is quite a bit more racey than the Domane i.e. lower stack, steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase. The Endurace is actually much closer to the Tarmac on geometry, but not as aggressive on reach and stack.
Thanks. I see that now. I really liked the Tarmac, but it's probably a bit too racey for me, but perhaps it or the Endurace with a stack of spacers and the right stem would be do-able.
Old 07-30-21, 07:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Can you get someone in the U.S. to buy the Canyon and accidentally load into their car for a vacation up north, for a small fee? or could you vacation in the U.S. (sort of like going to a haunted house) and return with a "souvenir" Canyon under a blanket in the back? Might be cheaper than all the taxes and import fees.
Old 07-30-21, 07:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
By the way, I ride an AL Sportif with 105, and with the stock wheels and tires it was a pig. I was so disappointed I considered selling it. Instead (since it is disc) I slapped a set of CF rims on it and the bike's whole character changed .... it was like Grandma discovered methamphetamine. Now it is one of my favorite bikes a nd certainly the one I have been riding more .... Racy CF is fun, but comfortable Al is just as fun and works for a lot more applications.
Old 07-30-21, 10:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 2 years ago. I mounted my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and really liked the bike. This past winter, I upgraded to an Ultegra Di2 groupset and now I love the bike even more. You cannot go wrong, though, with the 105 configuration.
I have a 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105 on the same wheels; it is an excellent bike made even better by a Cannondale Save seat post.
Old 08-02-21, 12:08 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My friend has the Ultegra mechanical build, so standard frame. I doubt the Hi-Mod is really worth the extra cost unless cost is irrelevant.
The main things that draw me to the Hi-Mod are the increased compliance/flexibility and maybe the lower weight. Apparently, it is 18%-20% more compliant. I read that was from a Cannondale source. I do want a light bike (15-17 max) so I'll go with a higher spec model unless the proprietary stem messes up my fit. In that case, I'll get the regular model and get some nice wheels.
Old 08-02-21, 08:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Chandne
The main things that draw me to the Hi-Mod are the increased compliance/flexibility and maybe the lower weight. Apparently, it is 18%-20% more compliant. I read that was from a Cannondale source. I do want a light bike (15-17 max) so I'll go with a higher spec model unless the proprietary stem messes up my fit. In that case, I'll get the regular model and get some nice wheels.
A Cannondale "hi-mod" frame is lighter but has similar compliance than the regular version. Even if there is a difference, I doubt it is 18% to 20%. The "mod" in "hi-mod" is short for modulus, i.e., a measurement of stiffness. The "hi-mod" frame is made from carbon fibers with higher modulus, i.e., stiffer carbon fibers, so that the same stiffness can be achieved with less fibers, which makes it lighter. But a Cannondale "hi-mod" bike usually comes with a Cannondale Save carbon fiber seat post, which is lighter and more compliant than the Cannondale C3 alloy seat post that comes on lower end bikes. Just buy the seat post separately like I did. Unless one is racing, the savings from buying the regular frame would be better spent on wheels and other components.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 08-02-21 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 04:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
A Cannondale "hi-mod" frame is lighter but has similar compliance than the regular version. Even if there is a difference, I doubt it is 18% to 20%. The "mod" in "hi-mod" is short for modulus, i.e., a measurement of stiffness. The "hi-mod" frame is made from carbon fibers with higher modulus, i.e., stiffer carbon fibers, so that the same stiffness can be achieved with less fibers, which makes it lighter. But a Cannondale "hi-mod" bike usually comes with a Cannondale Save carbon fiber seat post, which is lighter and more compliant than the Cannondale C3 alloy seat post that comes on lower end bikes. Just buy the seat post separately like I did. Unless one is racing, the savings from buying the regular frame would be better spent on wheels and other components.
That makes a lot more sense that any extra compliance is coming from the different seatpost. That's what I would do too. The frame weight saving would have minimal effect unless you really are looking to find literally seconds on a climb.
Old 08-03-21, 12:58 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I think I called it incorrectly. The new frame is 18%-20% more compliant while being more aero. It looks like the Hi Mod frame is 200 grams lighter than the regular one. I'm not sure how much lighter the fancier groups and wheels are. I'll take a look at both models. I don't want to spend $4K making the 18 lb bike 2-2.5 lbs lighter. I'd rather spend that up front since it will be a climbing bike more than anything. That said, I have not really given it that much thought and I could simply slap some nice wheels on a non Hi Mod and get it to a respectable weight. The wheels are most important anyway. Good point. That would be the bike I take on those painful 8K-10K climbs.
Old 08-03-21, 03:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Chandne
I think I called it incorrectly. The new frame is 18%-20% more compliant while being more aero. It looks like the Hi Mod frame is 200 grams lighter than the regular one. I'm not sure how much lighter the fancier groups and wheels are. I'll take a look at both models. I don't want to spend $4K making the 18 lb bike 2-2.5 lbs lighter. I'd rather spend that up front since it will be a climbing bike more than anything. That said, I have not really given it that much thought and I could simply slap some nice wheels on a non Hi Mod and get it to a respectable weight. The wheels are most important anyway. Good point. That would be the bike I take on those painful 8K-10K climbs.
I have a Cannondale Synapse carbon with the regular frame and I saved > 200 g by replacing just the aluminum seat post and handlebars with carbon fiber counterparts: Cannondale Save seat post and Zipp Contour SL handlebars, which were on sale for about $100 each, mainly to improve compliance. The 200 g weight reduction is no big deal; even a small pre-ride #2 will net you that.