Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does Clothing Matter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does Clothing Matter?

Old 09-09-21, 04:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
  • Butt comfort is a function of bike fit, appropriate saddle and getting used to spend several hours riding. If your derriére is not accustomed to being sat upon in that specific configuration - no chamois will do any wonders.
This doesn’t mean that a good chamois won’t contribute to your overall comfort along with the rest you mentioned.

Having experimented over the years with many different cycling shorts, some are way more comfortable than others. But preference is very personal and some people can clearly ride all day long in non-cycling shorts. I find it hard enough finding cycling shorts that are all-day comfortable, without widening the net into other options!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-09-21, 04:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
See signature line below.
Old 09-09-21, 04:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I Go Pogo!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-09-21, 04:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
I Go Pogo!

Walla Walla Wash!
Old 09-09-21, 04:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Walla Walla Wash!
And Kalamazoo!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-09-21, 04:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Butt comfort is a function of bike fit, appropriate saddle and getting used to spend several hours riding. If your derriére is not accustomed to being sat upon in that specific configuration - no chamois will do any wonders.
The function of the chamois (which was originally just a piece of leather from a Chamois deer) is to rub on the seat, so your skin doesn't. The chamois slides on the saddle and absorbs the heat of friction so you don't get saddle sores, because you are invariably moving on the saddle---unless you hold yourself rigid and coast, which doesn't work so well uphill.

As time and science have progressed, multi-density wicking foam pads have been developed, and if you haven't bothered to try a bunch of different versions, possibly you shouldn't opine upon that which you do not understand (and isn't that a downright un-American idea.) If saddle padding were not an issue, saddles would just be a piece of metal or carbon fiber. However, almost every saddle I have seen is ... padded. How useless, considering comfort is one hundred percent bike fit, according to some sources.

I own a bike with a saddle which is simply a shaped piece of carbon fiber. The bike on which it resides is set up very carefully and fits me almost perfectly---my own daily changing body being the only variable which detracts from perfection. And I can tell you, despite the near-perfect fit, if I want to spend a couple hours or more on that bike, I often choose my bibs with the thickest pad .... and it makes a difference.

Also .... I have done the gloves or no gloves experiment many times. I find that it is not sweat control---my gloves are usually literally wringably wet after a ride, which has got to be bad for my skin--but vibration control and (as with the shots chamois) friction control which gloves offer as primary benefits.

Even with a simple single-layer leather palm, the glove absorb some of the heat and friction which are inevitable when gripping a moving, vibrating handle. The gloves slide and warm up, but the skin does not slide, and does not get hot, which leads to less wear and discomfort. I find that with even lightly padded palms, I feel less vibration, which also increases comfort.

That said .... do you find that your beer foams up if you ride on bumpy pavement?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-09-21, 05:15 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
See quote 1, then see quote 2, you bloody hypocrite. You clearly said in quote 1 that no hints were needed to figure out who you were talking about, but now you're hiding behind not naming names?

I have nothing civil to say to that.
So you’re saying that the group I referenced that wears Home Depot gloves and safety glasses with cotton pants and only occasionally rides is the group actually wearing cycling specific clothing? My statement was in response to my question of “who wears cycling specific clothing?” Cyclists who ride a lot generally do; those who ride infrequently generally do not. If you feel that is a direct attack on you or your preferences then I’m truly sorry. I most certainly was not thinking of you. Don’t know you. You ride a lot. A whole lot. Gotta respect that, and I honestly don’t care what anyone wears while they’re out riding as long as they’re having fun and not wearing my stuff. It is definitely amusing how far off the deep end you go when I say that only serious cyclists wear cycling shoes and bike clothing. I’d offer you another beer but I do t want to waste it. Cheers!

Your Friend,

Cycling Kit Karen
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-09-21, 05:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Yeah, good quality clothes can be found at reasonable prices. Having the actual premium level stuff, the budget offerings aren't that good but you get 90% of the product for 50-30% of the price.

My go to training clothes are one-piece roadsuits from Decathlon, which is an European big box sports store chain, which are their top shelf stuff at around 100 Euro a piece. They're just good in every way. Sure, Castelli road suit has slightly better materials but it cost basically double. Perfectly usable although basic bike shorts can be had for under 10€ and I have a stack of those which I use for the indoor trainer and the odd training ride, never given me grief. I have an Aliexpress trisuit which I use for training and used in races without issue which cost under $50 (just have to size up ordering from China - I wear S in Euro sizing, XS in USA sizing and L in Chinese)
​​​​​
So, you don't need to spend a ton. That said, I do love my Castelli stuff.
Just received the hiking shorts from Decathlon. The quality looks quite good, so is the fit and the prices are so affordable. The best part is that their mission statement is eco-focused on sustainability. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-09-21, 05:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
So you’re saying that the group I referenced that wears Home Depot gloves and safety glasses with cotton pants and only occasionally rides is the group actually wearing cycling specific clothing? My statement was in response to my question of “who wears cycling specific clothing?” Cyclists who ride a lot generally do; those who ride infrequently generally do not. If you feel that is a direct attack on you or your preferences then I’m truly sorry. I most certainly was not thinking of you. Don’t know you. You ride a lot. A whole lot. Gotta respect that, and I honestly don’t care what anyone wears while they’re out riding as long as they’re having fun and not wearing my stuff. It is definitely amusing how far off the deep end you go when I say that only serious cyclists wear cycling shoes and bike clothing. I’d offer you another beer but I do t want to waste it. Cheers!

Your Friend,

Cycling Kit Karen

If only you were clever, alas.You know no one actually posted anything of the kind on this thread, so you were definitely parodying someone rather cruelly. I never said I thought it was me, I just don't like snobbish bullies.
Old 09-09-21, 05:51 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

If only you were clever, alas.You know no one actually posted anything of the kind on this thread, so you were definitely parodying someone rather cruelly. I never said I thought it was me, I just don't like snobbish bullies.
Man, you’ve got a great point in that last sentence. I promise to stop making mocking posts about the very true fact that real bike riders wear expensive stuff made just for cycling. (Ooops. From here on.) The reality is that everyone gets mocked on BF by somebody. WD-40 chain lubers, e-bike riders, the over50 guys, the racers, the backwards fork guy, the saddle too high/low/far back riders, the rim brake riders, the disc brake riders, the GatorSkin tire crowd, the tubed, the tubeless… I’ve said many times that as long as someone is out there riding then that’s all that matters. Here’s a fresh beer.
Old 09-09-21, 06:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Have to agree with a poster above, and I paraphrase, what ever you do, work or play, using the right tool makes the activity so much easier. This is especially true in construction, working on cars and virtually all sports. I remember starting snow skiing in Levis and a sweatshirt. After a few hours my pants were soaked and I was cold. Buying ski pants and a proper jacket made all day skiing a joy. Reflecting on cycling: I first started in cut offs, a T and no gloves or glasses. It went ok until I started getting bugs in my eyes and started worrying about UV exposure, so got cycling glasses. Crashed and skinned up my palms, so bought cycling gloves and had protection and added comfort. Next was tired of chafing of the seam in my cut-off crotch, especially on 30+ mile rides, so succumbed to cycling shorts. Next was flapping and sweat soaked T shirts and were to put my stuff since my pockets were gone, so a cheap REI jersey was purchased. And guess what? Just like having the right tools for the job, having the right clothing for the activity made cycling so much more enjoyable.

I know I won’t change any minds that are dead set on T-shirts, cargo pants and safety glasses. And if that works for you, that is fantastic. But I really appreciated the OP’s logic probably because it reflects my experience.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-21, 07:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
“who wears cycling specific clothing?” Cyclists who ride a lot generally do; those who ride infrequently generally do not.

Your Friend,

Cycling Kit Karen
A cyclists outward appearance and the type of clothes that they are wearing has nothing to do with how much they ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-09-21, 08:22 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A cyclists outward appearance and the type of clothes that they are wearing has nothing to do with how much they ride.
True story right there. I see people having fun riding bikes, though, and dude, that’s cool with me. I also know people who intentionally avoid riding bikes. That’s ok, too.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-09-21, 08:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Oh so true. In ski lodges there is always a contingent of apres ski types, dressed to the 9s in VERY expensive clothing, that have never even attempted to ski/board. Every sport has the wannabes, except maybe people who jump out of planes or off cliffs in flying squirrel suits. Those folks probably only enjoy the first part of their jump.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-21, 09:09 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
By all means dual purpose. As I have posted before I wear wicking T-shirts, and rugby shorts both on and off the bike. I wore suits, white shirts and a tie at work for 47 years. Now very very casual is my style. I even have a T-shirt that says-------------Retired--this is as dressed up as I get. And again, as a recumbent rider, I dont need the high priced stuff to protect me from my bike or trike.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-09-21, 09:27 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
For the type of riding I do, I think clothing is by far the best investment you can make in cycling gear. Nothing makes a bigger difference in the comfort and enjoyment in a ride for me than well designed and comfortable cycling-specific clothing.

Also, I've found that you almost always (with a few exceptions) get what you pay for in cycling clothing. This has nothing to do with snobbery, it has to do with comfort, durability and design. The good stuff ain't cheap, but it is good.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 09-09-21, 09:31 PM
rwmct

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I wear cargo shorts in the summer and sweat pants the rest of the time. But I am only riding for two to three hours or so at a time.

In summer I wear T shirts, usually all cotton, and the rest of the time kind of "athletic performance" long sleeve shirts. Fancy long underwear, essentially. I don't sweat too much unless I am really killing it, which usually means hiking that involves use of hands not to die.

I have a fanny pack for carrying stuff.
Old 09-09-21, 09:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The function of the chamois (which was originally just a piece of leather from a Chamois deer) is to rub on the seat, so your skin doesn't. The chamois slides on the saddle and absorbs the heat of friction so you don't get saddle sores, because you are invariably moving on the saddle---unless you hold yourself rigid and coast, which doesn't work so well uphill.

As time and science have progressed, multi-density wicking foam pads have been developed, and if you haven't bothered to try a bunch of different versions, possibly you shouldn't opine upon that which you do not understand (and isn't that a downright un-American idea.) If saddle padding were not an issue, saddles would just be a piece of metal or carbon fiber. However, almost every saddle I have seen is ... padded. How useless, considering comfort is one hundred percent bike fit, according to some sources.

I own a bike with a saddle which is simply a shaped piece of carbon fiber. The bike on which it resides is set up very carefully and fits me almost perfectly---my own daily changing body being the only variable which detracts from perfection. And I can tell you, despite the near-perfect fit, if I want to spend a couple hours or more on that bike, I often choose my bibs with the thickest pad .... and it makes a difference.

Also .... I have done the gloves or no gloves experiment many times. I find that it is not sweat control---my gloves are usually literally wringably wet after a ride, which has got to be bad for my skin--but vibration control and (as with the shots chamois) friction control which gloves offer as primary benefits.

Even with a simple single-layer leather palm, the glove absorb some of the heat and friction which are inevitable when gripping a moving, vibrating handle. The gloves slide and warm up, but the skin does not slide, and does not get hot, which leads to less wear and discomfort. I find that with even lightly padded palms, I feel less vibration, which also increases comfort.

That said .... do you find that your beer foams up if you ride on bumpy pavement?

Originally goat. The chamois doesn't slide on the saddle because it is inside the shorts. Carry on...
Old 09-10-21, 02:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Also, I've found that you almost always (with a few exceptions) get what you pay for in cycling clothing. This has nothing to do with snobbery, it has to do with comfort, durability and design. The good stuff ain't cheap, but it is good.
I agree. As an experiment I tried a pair of budget DHB bib-shorts to see if they would do the job as well as the more expensive options. They were okay for the first couple of rides, but they didn’t wash well, the material was quite rough and the seams chaffed through my skin on the one long ride I did in them. Now I only wear them as a very last resort on short rides only.

But I don’t buy the most expensive bib-shorts. I find enough all day comfort and performance in the lower ranges of the high quality brands. Rapha Core and Assos Mille GT for example. Especially when on sale, these are both good value and very durable.

I find jerseys much less critical for comfort because chaffing is not really an issue. As long as the fit is reasonable and they wick well, a lot of the budget jerseys are fine. DHB for example.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-10-21, 04:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Originally goat. The chamois doesn't slide on the saddle because it is inside the shorts. Carry on...
What is a goat but a short, clumsy deer? Stop picking nits .....

(TY for the info .... )
Old 09-10-21, 05:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Years ago I stopped at a country store for a mid ride fluid refill. Seemed like a Coke might be right, caffeine and all. I drank some and poured the rest into my water bottle. A couple of miles down the road, despite the lid poppet being closed, I had a sticky mess.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-10-21, 08:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think cycling kit need not be expensive but it should be "good enough". Like anything, if you buy the cheapest off amazon or some such you will probably get poor quality control. This pertains to material, zipper strength, pad material etc... After a certain point however, there is a law of diminishing returns in which you are paying for brand or perceived performance.

A salesman once commented (in regards to buying bibs): "You should spend $50 per hour of intended riding." I laughed as at that time I was ramping up to 12 hour rides.

I don't run out to buy super expensive kit, sometimes I file it and keep my eyes open. Once I saw a lightweight (cuban fiber I think) shell jacket that I liked but was being sold for $400. Although I liked the weight and folded size of the shell I couldn't justify the cost. later, while poking around in a thrift store I found a similar cycling jacket (nylon but still light and very compressible) in like new condition for $10. That thing worked perfectly and has seen a lot of service both cycling and trail running.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-10-21, 09:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
The chamois goes on the inside? Oops. Time to start a new thread?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-10-21, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The chamois goes on the inside?
Um, yeah - how else is it going to properly interface with your underwear?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-10-21, 09:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Um, yeah - how else is it going to properly interface with your underwear?
But, if the chamois goes on the inside, then the chamois butter will end up on the inside. How will the butter keep your Brooks saddle soft and supple if you put it inside your shorts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.