Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek made by Giant? Aren't Trek USA made bikes? If so, am I better off with Giant?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek made by Giant? Aren't Trek USA made bikes? If so, am I better off with Giant?

Old 09-30-21, 12:05 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Both my bikes' frames were made in the United States. One in Pennsylvania and one in Tennessee. Dunno how many other components were, probably not many. But I'll take what I can get.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 09-30-21, 04:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
In my opinion, Taiwan made bikes have always been of superb quality, even in the 80's. Taiwan took over where Japan left off. Nowadays, Taiwan made bikes are the highest end of popular, mass produced bikes.. I would't say they came a long way, I say they started out on the high. The quality of the late 80's to present frames are of the highest standards. They are better than the Japanese bikes of the 70's and 80's. Just because a bike is made in a predominantly Caucasian country (US, UK, Italy, France) doesn't mean it is a superior product. Also the QC in China all depends on the specifications of the demand of the company contracting a manufacturer, Very high end products are made in China. Just because something is made in China doesn't mean it is garbage either. To think so is racist.
I agree. But because China does produce a lot of garbage, it has gained a reputation across the board. The truth is, like any other country, China produces high, medium and low quality products depending on the individual factory and its management. For example, The Chinese Tesla factory has already gained a much better reputation for QC than their original Fremont factory in California.
Old 09-30-21, 10:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
I used to have a made in Taiwan 1979 Fuji Grand Tourer. Nothing about the construction quality of that bike's frame was inferior. Clean lugs and nice paint.

Old 09-30-21, 01:09 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 114 Posts
This is old, but gives some idea as to TREK`s manufacturing.............
'
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/08/01/in-w...%20last%20year
Old 10-01-21, 08:16 AM
Crang

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Kona was made in Malaysia.....
Old 10-01-21, 08:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Crang
noted.
Old 10-01-21, 10:49 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
My felt carbon frame was made in Cambodia.
Old 10-01-21, 12:55 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Crang
'

My PABST BLUE RIBBON was made in Milwaukee. Wisconsin !
'
'

Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 10-01-21, 01:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Components are Asian made mostly, but Campagnolo still makes most of their products in Italy.
Campagnolo makes a lot of their stuff in Romania and a bit in Asia these days.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-01-21, 01:54 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
My Giant Sedona is made in China. I would match it's build quality, engineering, fit and finish with any bike 2x the price made anywhere in the world. The dam thing was almost perfect right out of the box. The paint is Beautiful.

There are some valid reasons for buying a bike made in the USA or in ones own country, But Quality is not one of them.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 10-01-21 at 01:57 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 10-01-21, 03:40 PM
BadgerOne

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Can Taiwan make a good bike.....LOL.

The most advanced titanium frame fabricator in the world, who uses custom butted and swaged Ti and manages to get tubes into all kinds of crazy shapes and tapers and geo and then welds them perfectly, is located in Taiwan. They are called ORA, and if you have a Ti frame that isn't a Litespeed, Lynskey, Moots, Seven, or a small handful of others, then you are riding an ORA made frame.

ORA

Last edited by BadgerOne; 10-01-21 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 05:43 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Trek Madone 5.0 disc? What year? 5-series Madone frames have been manufactured in 'Asia' since at least as far back as 2014.
Sorry was not clear. The Domane I chose to replace the broken Madone. A Domane SL6. I needed a little bigger tires that day but managed.
Old 10-02-21, 05:50 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Caley Fretz wrote a great editorial about this nine years ago when he was still at VeloNews: https://www.velonews.com/gear/the-to...yth-of-origin/

Asia has the most efficient and best supply chains and manufacturing capacity for making bikes in the world. Making carbon bikes is particular sensitive to economies of scale given the relatively large capital investment in molds, autoclaves, laser cutters, automated tape layup machines etc required for modern carbon frames. Big manufacturers like Giant and Merida can take in spools of raw carbon fiber in one end of their factories and spit out extremely high quality bikes that use the latest technology at the other end. Giant is able to use extremely advanced and efficient automated production techniques on the latest TCR that very few other manufacturers can match. The result is fantastic riding frames (read any review of the latest TCR) that are some of the best quality in the world even though they are reasonably affordable.

It's really hard to make quality bikes anywhere else at a reasonable cost, but automation is slowly changing that if a company can make the investment. On a recent "Nerd Alert" podcast, Gerald Vroomen talked about the difficulties of moving even a small part of 3T's manufacturing to Italy (https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/nerd...-carbon-fiber/). 3T had to completely revamp production techniques and materials. Small producers can make batches of bikes in the US, the UK or Italy but you're going to pay a lot for it unless the manufacturer is able to automate. I wonder if it's worth it..

The other issue I have is that "Made in ..." designations are really tenuous these days, bordering on fraudulent. For example: Colnago has proudly and publicly designated their top of the line C64 as "Made in Italy", but that bike's tubes are made in Asia, all they're doing in Italy is gluing them together and painting them. The same was true of the prior C60 and the the C59 before that etc. Similarly, for years Pinarello danced around where their bikes were actually made while they draped their Asia-produced, mega-buck Dogma in Italian flags. Again, I personally think Asian produced carbon frames can be the best in the world. I just object to trying to confuse customers.
Old 10-02-21, 02:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,823 Posts
Mods .... can we change the name of this thread to "What?! Giant bikes aren't made by giants and Treks aren't made on long journeys? I am outraged!"
Old 10-03-21, 07:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Out sourcing is nothing new. I bought an early seventies Raleigh that had an altered headbadge with Nottingham crossed out . On the seat tube was a sticker that said Made in Holland. I still have that frame because I thought it was interesting , the only one I’d seen.
Old 10-03-21, 07:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Out sourcing is nothing new. I bought an early seventies Raleigh that had an altered headbadge with Nottingham crossed out . On the seat tube was a sticker that said Made in Holland. I still have that frame because I thought it was interesting , the only one I’d seen.
IIRC, the Holland-built Raleighs were made by Gazelle.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-14-21, 07:29 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
99% of all bikes are made in Taiwan, including those that cost $10 000 dollars or more.
Made me realize that 6 of my 9 bikes made in USA.
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 10-14-21, 11:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I thought Treks were made by Paramount but the most recent one was Prime Video
Old 10-15-21, 05:33 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My GURU Sidero was built in Montreal, eh?

Also made in Canada, 2005 model
Likes For WarrenR:
Old 10-18-21, 06:47 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum

Chinese QC can be poor. Stuff made for the Chinese domestic market can be awful, but the same company making products for the western markets can be really good, the QC is better because western buyers demand more. I had a friend who ran a small factory in Kunshan. He said it wasn't hard to compete with Chinese products, because he didn't cut corners, unlike his competitors.
I bought a really good set of carbon rims from China, I couldn't get them from anywhere else, the quality is top notch, but they weren't cheap. If you are willing to pay what you would in Europe or North America you can find excellent quality. If you buy cheap crap from Aliexpress, then you get what you pay for.
Keyword here is 'can be'. It's certainly not always, or even often, the case anymore. Having lived in China for 14 years now, I can speak to the fact that plenty of Chinese brands are decent quality, even for the domestic market. The rapid improvement of quality in Chinese domestic goods, especially in industries like auto manufacturing and mobile electronics, over the last few years has been very impressive.

I buy lots of stuff off of Taobao (the domestic version of AliExpress) for my bike, much of it from local brands, and it's almost always good. The key is making sure to buy from a reputable seller and buying products which have a high sales volume and decent reviews.