Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need help finding winter cycling gloves that actually fit

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 09:55 AM
xg5a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

L or XL gloves usually fit in the palm. XXL gloves are good in finger length, but not long enough in the thumb. This leaves a gap between thumb and fingers which hurts when gripping the handlebars. The issue is really deceiving, sometimes it doesn't seem like gloves won't be long enough in the fingers when I try them on, but then that stupid gap by the thumb is always there and rears its ugly head when I grip the bars...

I do have stretchy gloves which do a good job in "cool" weather. I'm in NJ, USA, I'm generally a "cold" person, and I ride down to like 35F / 2C. So I'm looking for something wind-blocking and one step down from lobster gloves, insulation-wise. For example:
https://www.giro.com/p/proof-winter-...300000003.html
https://www.pearlizumi.com/products/...glove-14142010

Anybody know of gloves that are sized by palm and finger size AND have options for different combos of the two specs? Or, a source for custom-fitted winter cycling gloves?

Likes For xg5a:
Old 11-01-21, 09:59 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Bar Mitts.

You may never go back to gloves, again.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-03-21, 08:13 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
You might find that mittens suit you better. Riding through the winters in Rhode Island, over the years I had tried lots of 5-finger gloves, and Pearl iZumi “lobster gloves.” I finally decided to give mittens a try, and actually found a wind proof pair for like $10 at a close out store. They work awesome, and the fit is great.

Dan
Old 11-03-21, 07:18 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Bar Mitts.

The aero losses ... Halloween has passed my friend...
Old 11-04-21, 06:32 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Bar Mitts.

Bar mitts are great, but unless it's not really cold, you still have to wear gloves or mittens together with your bar mitts.
Old 11-05-21, 09:34 AM
xg5a

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Bar mitts are great, but unless it's not really cold, you still have to wear gloves or mittens together with your bar mitts.
I do have some stretchy gloves that work for "cool" weather, do you think they'd be enough under the bar mitts?
Old 11-05-21, 09:49 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by xg5a
I do have some stretchy gloves that work for "cool" weather, do you think they'd be enough under the bar mitts?
what outside temperature are we talking about?
Old 11-05-21, 11:04 AM
xg5a

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
what outside temperature are we talking about?
I have these gloves specifically, I usually wear them under a set of half-finger cycling gloves that are 1 size too large for me. I'd say they're good down to about 50-55F (10-12C)
https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Westerly.../dp/B01F1GYX14
Old 11-05-21, 11:09 AM
MinnMan

I have these gloves specifically, I usually wear them under a set of half-finger cycling gloves that are 1 size too large for me. I'd say they're good down to about 50-55F (10-12C)
https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Westerly.../dp/B01F1GYX14
Maybe I wasn't being clear - what temperatures are you expecting to ride comfortably with the bar mitts?

For me, those gloves plus glove liners and bar mitts would be good down to 15 or 20 degrees *F, but I personally would go with lobster claws or mittens at those temperatures.
Old 11-05-21, 02:25 PM
xg5a

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe I wasn't being clear - what temperatures are you expecting to ride comfortably with the bar mitts?

For me, those gloves plus glove liners and bar mitts would be good down to 15 or 20 degrees *F, but I personally would go with lobster claws or mittens at those temperatures.
Oh, gotcha. I'd like to be able to ride down to 35-40F, below that I'm just too cold overall.
Old 11-07-21, 11:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
That has not been my experience. Down in to the teens at least. It could be due to the fact that my bikes are equipped with carbon bars & carbon levers. Metal conducts heat away from your hands much better than carbon. I wore size medium gloves, so I bought medium bar mitts & have been satisfied. The fit is such that it keeps the wind off & acts like an extension of my coat sleeve. Were I to wear bulky ski gloves or something to wear in addition to to further insulate from heat loss caused be metal, I feel the fit would be too tight to operate the shifters. The next size larger would be called for in that case.
I haven't felt the need to wear gloves at all since I made the switch to bar mitts. In fact, there have been times when it has been 45 degrees & raining I have folded the hoods back because my hands were sweaty & too hot. I'm pretty sure a thin pair of Merino wool gloves would be the most anyone would ever need with properly sized bar mitts. I do concede that I have considered the next size larger mitt just so that I have the option to fold them down &/or use cooler gloves in the same way you would use "layering" with the rest of your riding ensamble. I haven't felt the need to actually follow through with that idea though.

Barmitts folded down because it was too warm by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-07-21, 07:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
The aero losses ... Halloween has passed my friend...
we lose speed during the colder months & this time of year, for me, I find riding is more about the ride than the stats. lots more obstacles to navigate as well, so I'm not zooming down the roadway at 37mph until spring or summer
Old 11-07-21, 07:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
L or XL gloves usually fit in the palm. XXL gloves are good in finger length, but not long enough in the thumb. This leaves a gap between thumb and fingers which hurts when gripping the handlebars. The issue is really deceiving, sometimes it doesn't seem like gloves won't be long enough in the fingers when I try them on, but then that stupid gap by the thumb is always there and rears its ugly head when I grip the bars...
I do have stretchy gloves which do a good job in "cool" weather. I'm in NJ, USA, I'm generally a "cold" person, and I ride down to like 35F / 2C. So I'm looking for something wind-blocking and one step down from lobster gloves, insulation-wise. For example:
https://www.giro.com/p/proof-winter-...300000003.html
https://www.pearlizumi.com/products/...glove-14142010
Anybody know of gloves that are sized by palm and finger size AND have options for different combos of the two specs? Or, a source for custom-fitted winter cycling gloves?
wondering if big & tall shops carry glove items
Old 11-07-21, 08:01 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
My hands are similar in proportion but slightly bigger in each dimension (between a half and full centimeter). I had some pearl izumi gel cyclones that I rode with for 20 years, long after they got holes in the finger tips, which I recently replaced with a newer pair of the same model. I got the XXL which fit in the fingers and thumb (just a little snug in the middle), but are a little big in the palm. I might have tried the XLs for size too. But they're a shoulder season glove and wind goes through the fingertips if they get wet from rain or sweat so I also got some overmits (like a lobster glove) from Toko. I heard good things about Toko, but these weren't that great for cold temps (I previously would ride into the 20s for 2+ hours, with another pair of gloves over my PIs, but shifting would become difficult as my fingers lose dexterity so I wanted to try the split mit). In any case I've heard good things about Toko's other gloves and would suggest you take a look. Based on the European sizing I think I was an 11, not even the biggest size.

https://tokous.com/category/products...ather-cycling/
Old 11-10-21, 05:05 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wondering if big & tall shops carry glove items
They do. Thats where I found some XXXL and XXXXL gloves. Not cycling specific, but I can easily fit heavy liners under them. By themselves, good to around 25/30degF.

For the OPs original problem, good luck. Ive been having the same issue my whole life. I just get large enough gloves that its not a problem.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 11-13-21, 09:48 AM
xg5a

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
They do. Thats where I found some XXXL and XXXXL gloves. Not cycling specific, but I can easily fit heavy liners under them. By themselves, good to around 25/30degF.

For the OPs original problem, good luck. Ive been having the same issue my whole life. I just get large enough gloves that its not a problem.
Yeah, the problem I always have with big and tall shops, is that it's big AND tall. So therefore gloves like that (and other clothes) have the length I need but are way too large otherwise. Still though, maybe it's worth checking out as a "good enough" option even if they aren't perfect...