Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How old is my schwinn caliente?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 01:00 AM
zigzag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi
I recently bought a beautiful red schwinn caliente at the salvation army, and was wondering how old it was. If someone knows what years schwinn made calientes that would be helpful, or If anyone could give me a website where i could view pictures of schwinns. I was also wondering how much its worth.
Thanks
Likes For zigzag:
Old 01-25-05, 09:26 PM
ofofhy
Chronic Tai Shan

Bikes: Pake Single Speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This particular forum is starting to remind me of the Antiques Roadshow.

OldSchwinn.com used to have a good explanation of all the serial numbers, but they seem to have gone under.

I figured mine out from looking at the headbadge. There is a four-digit code on it. The first three numbers are the day of the year, and the last number is the year, 1 = 1981.

If there is a number on the right dropout that starts with a G, it is a Taiwanese-built bike by Giant.

Check thecabe.com for some info.
Old 01-25-05, 10:24 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Caliente is shown in the 1979 Schwinn catalog as a "fancy" version of the Varsity. It was a 37 pound Chicago built bike with two unique features. It had Shimano Positron indexed "click" shifting in the rear gear changer and the Shimano FF freewheel that permitted shifting while standing still, or even while the chain was moving backwards. The idea was to make it possible for anyone to "correctly" shift a ten speed bike.

The combination of a 39 inch front chainwheel and 14 to 28 freewheel made it easy to ride, even for people who rarely got on a bike. Unfortunately, by 1979, the market for a 37 pound road bike was rapidly approaching zero. The Caliente listed for $173 in September 1979. For just $190, Schwinn customers could buy a Le Tour IV that weighed just 30 pounds with a lugged frame (part of a very brief "experiment" in building low cost lugged frames in Schwinn's Chicago factory). And, the lighter bike had fancier, better looking components.

In 1979, $173 was a good bit of money, about equal to $300 or $350 today. The frame and bearings used on a Chicago Schwinn were intended to provide twenty years or more of dependable service...there are probably a good number of these bikes still on the road.
Old 01-26-05, 12:46 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Wow! 37 pounds! That's like riding two bikes at once. Decisions like that contributed to popularizing employee drug testing.
Old 01-26-05, 08:14 AM
ofofhy
Chronic Tai Shan

Bikes: Pake Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
The combination of a 39 inch front chainwheel and 14 to 28 freewheel made it easy to ride, even for people who rarely got on a bike. Unfortunately, by 1979, the market for a 37 pound road bike was rapidly approaching zero. The Caliente listed for $173 in September 1979. For just $190, Schwinn customers could buy a Le Tour IV that weighed just 30 pounds with a lugged frame (part of a very brief "experiment" in building low cost lugged frames in Schwinn's Chicago factory). And, the lighter bike had fancier, better looking components.
I know a friend of mine rides a Caliente that has a lugged frame. It sounds like the one from 1979 was "electroforged" or whatever that term is. His is definitely lugged, definitely has an '80s Schwinn decal set, and definitely weighs less than 37 lbs. Sounds like the Caliente evolved quite a bit.
Old 01-30-05, 08:35 PM
zbicyclist
Dilettante

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My daughter rides a Caliente with the infamous Shimano Positron drive chain. This is a bike she brought home from a dumpster and we restored together as a father-daughter project. She's also had two bikes ripped off during her college career, but this old bright green Caliente seems safe so far. I put aluminum wheels on it to provide some braking power in case it is ridden in the rain, but otherwise it's authentic.

As another poster noted, it is surprisingly heavy.

In terms of age, there are nice serial number charts at https://www.oldroads.com/index.html#mvb_sn
For 1965 through 1982, the first letter of the serial number is the month (A=January). The second letter is the year. 1965=A, 1966=B. Skip I and O to avoid confusion.
February 1982 would be BTxxxx
Old 01-30-05, 09:06 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ofofhy
I know a friend of mine rides a Caliente that has a lugged frame. It sounds like the one from 1979 was "electroforged" or whatever that term is. His is definitely lugged, definitely has an '80s Schwinn decal set, and definitely weighs less than 37 lbs. Sounds like the Caliente evolved quite a bit.
Schwinn, from around 1930 to 1990, would "re-use" the same name, such as "Superior", for some very different bikes. For example, the "Paramount" name got used for some imported bikes of far lesser quality than the Paramounts made in Chicago.

I have not seen a "lugged" Caliente, but I'd suspect it was an Asian import from the middle 80's. The heavy "Chicago" Suburban was replaced by a lighter, lugged bike made by Giant in the Taiwan. And, the Giant version was MUCH lighter than the Chicago version. All of the Giant bikes made for Schwinn in the 1980's tended to be lighter than Chicago-made bikes in the same price range. And, that fact became one of the many reasons the Schwinn Chicago plant eventually closed its doors.
Old 05-24-06, 10:38 AM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm gonna buy a schwinn caliente from craigslist, it has a lugged steel frame from what I can tell.

The owner doesn't seem to know much about the bike, can anyone tell me if they have QR hubs?
Old 05-30-10, 09:59 AM
dreamin_44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zigzag
Hi
I recently bought a beautiful red schwinn caliente at the salvation army, and was wondering how old it was. If someone knows what years schwinn made calientes that would be helpful, or If anyone could give me a website where i could view pictures of schwinns. I was also wondering how much its worth.
Thanks
I have a dark purple Schwinn Caliente that I bought in 1993. It has the shimano shift. I know that the other color of the same modle was red.
Old 05-30-10, 12:47 PM
Gthoro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a pic of an '88 Caliente I flipped this spring. Low end, steel rims, nutted axles, but would make a nice around-the-town bike.

Here is a link to Schwinn catalogs. You should be able to find your bike in them.
https://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm
Old 11-12-21, 07:41 PM
Barrynof

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn Continental in burgundy, 1965 Schwinn Varsity Tourist in coppertone, 1967 Schwinn Varsity Tourist (ladies) in coppertone, 1984 Schwinn Tornado, 1987 Lotus Excelle in white

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Did you ever get an answer?

Originally Posted by zigzag
Hi
Thanks
Old 11-13-21, 01:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrynof
It's 16 years older now!

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-13-21, 04:14 AM
Barrynof

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn Continental in burgundy, 1965 Schwinn Varsity Tourist in coppertone, 1967 Schwinn Varsity Tourist (ladies) in coppertone, 1984 Schwinn Tornado, 1987 Lotus Excelle in white

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know, that’s why I asked my question the way that I did. I used the word “ever” in my question as a way of pointing out that it has been a while since the first post. See, I read the thread and it didn’t appear to me that anyone ever answered the original question. It’s possible that the person who placed the original post is still a member of this group, might still have the bike and that he/she might still reply. So, I asked the question. If the person responds, then great. If not, then that’s okay, too. Either way, it’s not like I am going to be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a response.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Old 11-13-21, 05:06 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
What question do you have?

Old 11-13-21, 06:30 AM
Barrynof

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
What question do you have?

I asked my question.
Old 11-13-21, 06:51 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
I asked my question.
I’m sorry that I tried to help you.

Old 11-13-21, 07:40 AM
Barrynof

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I’m sorry that I tried to help you.
I appreciate that you are trying to help. I'm not trying to be negative. I asked my question to the person who made the original post in an effort to help them.
Old 11-13-21, 07:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
I appreciate that you are trying to help. I'm not trying to be negative. I asked my question to the person who made the original post in an effort to help them.
Original Poster had exactly 1 post. Likely was never back again
Old 11-13-21, 08:19 AM
Barrynof

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Original Poster had exactly 1 post. Likely was never back again
I am beginning to see that. 🤣🤣🤣
Old 11-13-21, 06:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I know, that’s why I asked my question the way that I did. I used the word “ever” in my question as a way of pointing out that it has been a while since the first post. See, I read the thread and it didn’t appear to me that anyone ever answered the original question. It’s possible that the person who placed the original post is still a member of this group, might still have the bike and that he/she might still reply. So, I asked the question. If the person responds, then great. If not, then that’s okay, too. Either way, it’s not like I am going to be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a response.
I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just love getting an excuse to post that song.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-13-21, 09:00 PM
Barrynof

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just love getting an excuse to post that song.
Oh, okay, gotcha. It came across that way. My bad. Seriously, though. I am cracking up. I asked the original poster a question and three people responded to me about that question and not of those three were the original poster. 🤣🤣🤣 It's seriously funny! I don't think that's ever happened to me before in any other group. 🤣🤣🤣