Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-21, 08:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
It appears there are those whom feel they must chime-in on any topic regardless if they have anything POSITIVE to contribute. Don’t know if they take pride in bumping up their post counts or take some kind of sadistic joy in slapping down others. It appears to be related. Four of the people who made it early to my ignore list are even chiming in here. Can’t and wont see their comments because they are dead to me because of verbal assaults on others, me or just their general negativism and troll calling. Slapping people down for starting a thread they don’t agree with is totally unacceptable. If you don’t like a thread, move on, but crapping on the OP is unnecessary and rude.

BF is a good forum but not a great forum because of this type of rude behavior. Of course they are everywhere but should they? Place them on Ignore, use the red button and call them out. This is a forum to share experiences, learning, ask questions - even by newbies, We have enough idiots in this world creating dissension, we don’t need them here when chatting about a sport we all enjoy and want to share.

If you have nothing nice to say or positive to contribute, then keep it to yourself or move-on.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-14-21, 08:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
I will say this, "OH NO, the internets isn't nice to random strangers who don't know each other and are only communicating via text on a screen" I am not saying one needs to be mean to anyone because "mean people suck" according to that old sticker from the 90s (or 80s or whatever time period they first became popular) but we are on the internet and the internet is not a padded room safe from anything that can hurt you, it is a Wild West of anything and everything you could imagine, it is not to say this is a lawless place the moderators do a fantastic job keeping order and such but not everyone is going to greet trolls and people who are using the forum as their own personal ask Jeeves with open loving arms all the time. Al Gore invented this thing a long time ago so people have had enough time to get used to it we don't need to wrap them in foam and put training wheels on their tricycle. If they cannot handle people not being nice and fawn over them kind all the time, that is on them. No need to bully anyone or treat them nastily but no need to coddle either.
Old 11-14-21, 08:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
On the reality side of things .... REPORT people like me when you see us (or in RL, shoot us on sight.)The Mods have shown their willingness to take care of posters like me .... and they are particularly carful to protect new members, so Report violations when you see them. Also, if you see members behaving badly towards new posters, jump in to explain that there are a few .... under-bridge dwellers and a lot of other folks too.

And visit A&S if you want ta fresh perspective. Even I couldn't hang in that forum ..... but the rest of BF looks sane and sensible after a dive into that puddle. (That's the meta-reality part of the post .... because visiting A&S and trying to have reasonable discussion .... the place seems surreal even to someone who enjoyed the '70s, '80s, and '90s to a substantial degree.)

You know though ... the one thing which really does bug me .... people posting about how bad BF is. You need to make your real lives worse, and then this place will seem like a elaxing escape. I can't do it for you, folks. Get out there and screw up IRL, and BF will seem like a welcoming second home.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-14-21, 08:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I will say this, "OH NO, the internets isn't nice to random strangers who don't know each other and are only communicating via text on a screen" I am not saying one needs to be mean to anyone because "mean people suck" according to that old sticker from the 90s (or 80s or whatever time period they first became popular) but we are on the internet and the internet is not a padded room safe from anything that can hurt you, it is a Wild West of anything and everything you could imagine, it is not to say this is a lawless place the moderators do a fantastic job keeping order and such but not everyone is going to greet trolls and people who are using the forum as their own personal ask Jeeves with open loving arms all the time. Al Gore invented this thing a long time ago so people have had enough time to get used to it we don't need to wrap them in foam and put training wheels on their tricycle. If they cannot handle people not being nice and fawn over them kind all the time, that is on them. No need to bully anyone or treat them nastily but no need to coddle either.
And your reason WHY people can’t be decent to one another? Just because it is the internet, is unacceptable. People can be decent IF they chose to be. It is a choice. I find your defense of aberrant behavior just contributing to it. Of course you are entitled to your thoughts just like everyone else but you are not helping the situation, just justifying it. There is zero defense for acting rudely or supporting it because it just ‘is’.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-14-21, 09:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
This thread needs a poll

Old 11-14-21, 09:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
In my best young frankenstein igor moment:

Tubeless tires...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-14-21, 09:53 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Just avoid chain lube threads and leg shaving threads and you'll be fine.
What's the best frame material?
Old 11-14-21, 10:57 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 437 Posts
yu mean BF is NOT a box of chocolates **********
Old 11-14-21, 11:00 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
There are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category. Many instances a new member may ask an innocent question and then be pounced on by the usual abusive mega posters weighing in whether they know anything about the issue or not but rather their inner beliefs and quickly turn on the new poster for some ridiculous reason. As these forums are run for profit and benefit from new views, my hope is the administrators and us members take some action against the few lonely fools who need to hear themselves rant and yell at clouds because no one in their personal lives will listen. I am sure new member counts are dropping because of this trend.
If, as you claim, these forums are ‘effectively ruined’ you must have a ton of examples of legitimate new members being pounced on by the same few people averaging almost 4,000 posts per year.
You should have referenced some of these examples as it would have added some sort of validity to your post.
I average 1.18 posts per day btw so I guess I am a not one of the bad apples. Unless ofc you are extremely poor at math and have a likable tendency to exaggerate and dramatize things.
Either way, it is nice to know that your main concern appears to be the forums profit margin

Last edited by downhillmaster; 11-14-21 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-14-21, 11:04 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
It's not just trolls, it's also people so sensitive, that if you post criticism about a product they favour, they will reply as if you called their children ugly.
I witnessed a very popular forum basically disappear because of the few mean spirited members. I warned the administrator and he could not have cared less. And we lost what was once a helpful forum.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 11-14-21, 11:22 PM
downhillmaster

Disregard anyone who posts in BF with absolute certainty

Your own words in the ‘cycling tips’ thread two months ago.

Are you absolutely sure that BF is deteriorating?
Old 11-15-21, 12:54 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
From 2007.

Most inflammatory BF posts?

...informational only. Please don't kill the messenger.
Old 11-15-21, 01:10 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
It's not just trolls, it's also people so sensitive, that if you post criticism about a product they favour, they will reply as if you called their children ugly.
Moreover, I think it's worth noting that many of them do in fact have ugly children.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-15-21, 02:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I think it used to be a little more dramatic than it is now. I cannot stand guys who post things that they would never dream of saying to me in person. The road section was the worst and I got in arguments all the time, I even stopped posting there for a couple of years. There was another reason as well but I won't get into that.

Now when someone gives me a punk ass comment or the politically obsessed tries to get political I don't even reply, I just put them on ignore and make them go away forever. I have 24 on the list right now.
Old 11-15-21, 03:40 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to cycling. I rarely post because too many times that I did, snide remarks and condescending responses were made to my posts. It didn't feel safe to post. I'm not expecting the Internet to be a safe womb, but that doesn't justify smart aleck's who look down on newbie posters or who take a question and redirect it to their own interests.
Likes For Ramshackle:
Old 11-15-21, 03:58 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Several examples of ignore bait have popped up in this thread already, with posts that are, as expected, belligerent or defensive or both.
Old 11-15-21, 06:02 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Several examples of ignore bait have popped up in this thread already, with posts that are, as expected, belligerent or defensive or both.
You are referring to the OP correct?
His post is belligerent.
He couldn’t have presented his point without referring to people as blowhards and commenting on their personal lives?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 11-15-21 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-15-21, 06:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm relatively new to BF, but not to cycling or cycling forums in general. I have to say, I find BF a pretty cynical place with a lot of negativity about "Big Bike" and anything "new". Or maybe I just get drawn into the wrong sort of threads and can't help commenting on some of the ridiculous views often posted, usually with a derogatory tone toward those who might not agree that "Big Bike" is the enemy. Discussing something as simple as 1x gearing, tubeless tyres or even carbon frames is pretty much impossible without some idiot rubbishing the entire concept and all those "mugs" who bought into it. Anyway, you get the idea.

My experience with other cycling forums has actually been quite similar, so it's not exactly unique to BF. I'm still looking out for a more balanced cycling forum and this isn't it!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-15-21, 06:13 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
you are referring to the op correct?
His post is belligerent.
He couldn’t have presented his point without referring to people as blowhards and commenting on their personal lives?
Quod erat demonstrandum.
Old 11-15-21, 06:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have 27 screen names on my ignore list. I wonder on how many of others' lists I'd find myself. Interesting to ponder.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-15-21, 06:19 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Quod erat demonstrandum.
That’s a yes. Thanks!
Old 11-15-21, 06:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm relatively new to BF, but not to cycling or cycling forums in general. I have to say, I find BF a pretty cynical place with a lot of negativity about "Big Bike" and anything "new". Or maybe I just get drawn into the wrong sort of threads and can't help commenting on some of the ridiculous views often posted, usually with a derogatory tone toward those who might not agree that "Big Bike" is the enemy. Discussing something as simple as 1x gearing, tubeless tyres or even carbon frames is pretty much impossible without some idiot rubbishing the entire concept and all those "mugs" who bought into it. Anyway, you get the idea.

My experience with other cycling forums has actually been quite similar, so it's not exactly unique to BF. I'm still looking out for a more balanced cycling forum and this isn't it!
I like how you used “rubbish” as a verb.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-21, 06:34 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I have 27 screen names on my ignore list. I wonder on how many of others' lists I'd find myself. Interesting to ponder.
You're not on mine, Phil.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 11-15-21, 06:37 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This whole thread is nothing but a online version of cockfighting. The experienced long time member OP knew exactly what the result would be and the usual suspects jump in. Classic is the idiot who throws in “The Alpes aren’t steep” comment. A vast majority of this forum are nothing but trolling threads to debate known contentious issues. I mean really, 3x9 drivetrains are something anyone other than some nostalgic old timer is looking for? With that I am out, maybe will check into the forum in a few months or so but time to move on. Nothing to see here.
The OP’s grand departure post a couple of weeks ago.
I guess he was so hurt and upset that he just couldn’t stay away.
A quick look at his profile shows him continually referencing the post history and post counts of a lot of BF members.
As he has only started six threads in his eleven years on the boards it appears that he mainly just spends his time on BF creeping profiles and counting posts.
Good stuff for someone throwing stones
Old 11-15-21, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Ha! I just checked and I have 59. Only a half dozen are currently active. Mostly trolls and stupid folks who are no longer with us. I probably should clean up the list but you never know who might re-surface. Often as not I still read the posts of the "ignored." I'm here in part for entertainment and often those guys will post something foolishly amusing.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.