Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding the nice bike during the winter time

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-21, 04:28 PM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi All

I sold my alloy road bike this year to upgrade to a carbon fiber road bike with SRAM axs. Everything on the internet says like salt will immediately corrode and destroy my new bike, but it’s my only bike and I’d like to keep riding it through the winter when it relatively dry out. tThere will likely be a lot of salt on the roads too. Would my bike and drivetrain be ok if I put clip on fenders and washed the bike down after each ride? Anyone else ride your nice bike during the winter?
Old 11-20-21, 04:31 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I do. But, there are only a couple weeks a year with appreciable road salt where I live so it is not that hard to keep it clean. If I was in Minnesota I would have a special winter bike. Either that or hose down after every single ride. Which isn't a lot of fun when it is really cold out.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 11-20-21, 04:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I ride my nice road bike outside in the winter if the roads are dry; dusty, salty road grit hasn't been an issue. If there's snow, ice, slush, etc, I'll ride a bike with studs.
Old 11-20-21, 05:09 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Ride it, clean it, don’t worry.
Old 11-20-21, 06:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I ride mine outside, but.....I live in Florida, so I guess it does not matter what I say.

Old 11-20-21, 06:49 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
You violated the N+1 rule. but ride what you got. Then clean and lube when the weather is nasty.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 11-20-21, 10:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
Hi All

I sold my alloy road bike this year to upgrade to a carbon fiber road bike with SRAM axs. Everything on the internet says like salt will immediately corrode and destroy my new bike, but it’s my only bike and I’d like to keep riding it through the winter when it relatively dry out. tThere will likely be a lot of salt on the roads too. Would my bike and drivetrain be ok if I put clip on fenders and washed the bike down after each ride? Anyone else ride your nice bike during the winter?
​​​​​​The chain will wear out faster, but it'll wear out anyway. They're cheap and easy to replace. Cogs too, and rims if that's the kind of brakes you have. Worn rims can be more of a pain but that will take you years.

Versus not riding when it's nice, which just sucks. Definitely ride. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-21-21, 01:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Hi All

here in Central NC it doesn’t get that consistently cold, but they salt the roads whenever a hard freeze is forecast. The first salting forces my old car off the road until a few good rains in the spring, but I ride my “good” (only) road bike through winter. Just need to be a bit more assiduous about cleaning, lubing and routine maintenance.
Old 11-21-21, 03:11 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I won't risk crashing if the roads are wet or black ice might occur. Dry winter roads only. In Colorado there's certainly some salt or magnesium chloride, but not that much. I use a damp rag after each ride.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-21-21, 05:42 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Ride it, clean it, don’t worry.

^ Basically this. I'd only add that you should clean it shortly after any rides where it gets covered in loads of salt and grime. Don't let it sit dirty for days.

Look after your bike and it'll look after you. After all, it was made to be ridden! 🙂
Old 11-21-21, 10:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
I’ve ridden both aluminum and steel frames through decades of Michigan winters, and based on that experience, I can tell you that there is not much to worry about, regardless of how often you clean it.

The biggest consideration, I think, is to let the bike thaw and have the slush melt off. Next is to use stainless steel and aluminum hardware for bolts. Next, lube the chain. At the bottom of the list is washing. My commuter of 15 years was an alloy Novara Buzz, and yeah, while I’d wash it periodically, I was never obsessive or even habitual about it, and only bothered to wash it when it looked bad.

Depending on your storage circumstances, washing in the winter can be a real pain in the butt. My advice nowadays— and I never thought of this or did it before last year— is to get a garden sprayer from Home Depot, put some warm water in it, and rinse the bike down as needed. Sometimes I even do a two step thing, where I put soap in and suds it with the sprayer first, and then do another fill of clean water to rinse. It’s a bit of a PITA rinsing soapy water out of the tank, so if you have a bucket and brush, I’d probably just do that and use the sprayer to rinse it off. The nice thing about the sprayer is that it’s a very fine spray that can be precisely targeted, so you’re not slinging water all over the garage, driveway, or wherever, which then turns to ice.

But, since we’re in the Road forum here and not the Commuting forum, I don’t suspect you’re going to be riding through slush, and are instead dealing with light, salty spray and salt dust, so just rinse that stuff off, lube your chain, and you’ll be fine…for many, many years.

EDIT: this is my winter/spring trainer. This is it’s seventh winter, and it’s had no major overhauls, not even bottom bracket. It did get one new BB, but it was a misdiagnosis chasing a squeak which turned out to be a missing chainring bolt. Whic reminds me: grease your threads! All of ‘em.

aluminum Kinesis Racelight 4S

Last edited by chaadster; 11-21-21 at 10:51 PM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-22-21, 06:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I ride my “nice” bike if it’s dry-ish. If it’s wet with slush etc. I’ll ride the gravel bike
Old 11-22-21, 09:50 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Dry roads are no problem. The challenge I have is once snow is on the ground, even if it's dry and sunny there are often puddles and roadway moisture that is unavoidable. Hit a few of those and you'll find salty grime all over your bike. No big deal if you wash it off - but also washing bikes in the winter is a bit more challenging too.

I have a few bikes that I ride in really gross conditions (cyclocross and winter road riding). At the end of the season, I'll have my LBS overhaul these bikes. They strip the bike down to the bare frame, clean everything, replace cables, replace or repack/grease bearings, overhaul the rear hub, install new bar tape, etc. This service is usually around $200 and my bikes come back looking and feeling brand new.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-22-21, 11:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

I have a few bikes that I ride in really gross conditions (cyclocross and winter road riding). At the end of the season, I'll have my LBS overhaul these bikes. They strip the bike down to the bare frame, clean everything, replace cables, replace or repack/grease bearings, overhaul the rear hub, install new bar tape, etc. This service is usually around $200 and my bikes come back looking and feeling brand new.
That’s awesome, but should be total overkill for anything near modern, by which I mean any quality bike made in the last 20 years or so, and which isn’t left outside, particularly not for freeze and thaw cycles. If it’s merely a question of why not do that, then yeah, do it, but it shouldn’t be necessary to keep a rig in top running condition (which I understand you were not saying).

I keep my bikes on fleek, no doubt, and think they’re quieter and better performing than most, so we share that standard, however, as I said, I don’t do much more than basic maintenance and keep the bikes garaged. Component quality is a big deal; some bits are not as robust as others, e.g. cheap cables compared to performance sealed cables.
Old 11-22-21, 11:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Everything on the internet says like salt will immediately corrode and destroy my new bike
I wonder why it's just new bikes? Maybe you go to read crazy sites on the internet or take too literal their cautions. <grin>

How did your old bike fair in the winter? I expect your new bike will experience it pretty much the same way.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-22-21, 04:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Hi All

the worst salt damage I've had has been from sweat on the trainer destroying one of my STI/brifters. That was before I learned to cover my bars with a thick towel.
Old 11-23-21, 08:15 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I think that many over think the fragility of carbon. Heck, they make race cars and airplanes out of the stuff. Bike are meant to be ridden.

That said, I don't ride mine when it is cold and slushy. It's just not fun. I hate winter.
Old 11-23-21, 11:05 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I ride my nice road bike outside in the winter if the roads are dry; dusty, salty road grit hasn't been an issue. If there's snow, ice, slush, etc, I'll ride a bike with studs.
Good to know. I live in the Twin Cities too but I've been riding my fat bike in the winter when it's slushy. It's got a carbon frame but there has been really no issues with salt damage on the bike. That said, I was hesitant to ride my gravel bike on the roads (stainless steel frame) that has couplers. Since it could accept studs, this seemed like a reasonable idea. So when the roads are dry with dusty dried salt on them, it's ok?
Old 11-23-21, 06:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
So when the roads are dry with dusty dried salt on them, it's ok?
Yeah, I haven't had any issues and I'm not particularly fastidious when it comes to cleaning. I mean, realistically, that crap is on the roads through spring until the street cleaners come out in, what - April? May? It's always particularly gross when, after a long ride, I forget, lick my lips and get a huge dose of salt.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-23-21, 08:09 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
I bought my bikes to ride them, not sit in the house and look at them.
Old 11-24-21, 06:12 AM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts
I'm still riding in November, but only if the roads are dry enough. I sometimes ride at a local state park which is basically a sandy peninsula that extends out into Lake Erie, with roads on it. If I ride on partially wet roads there, my frame gets a good bit of sand on the frame in some places. After the ride, I use a water bottle to squirt and remove the sand from the affected areas and then wipe it down with a damp faux chamois that I carry in my car. It only takes a couple of minutes. It gets dried and windblown on the rooftop rack on the way home, which is only about 5 miles.
No salt yet to worry about. I hope to take my new Emonda out today, tomorrow or both days. I'm leaving for our winter residence in a couple of weeks and taking my old Klein with me. It's geared better for the flat roads there. I won't have to worry about salt there either.
Old 11-25-21, 04:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Only if it's a dry roads day. I built up an inexpensive rain bike, alu frame, cheap carbon fork, cheap wheels, other spare parts, but new drivetrain with the same cassette and similar crankset to my nice bike, except that instead of expensive brifters and derailleurs, I used unindexed bar-end shifters and cable derailleurs, I built it maybe 20 years ago, still rides great. The frame and fork have fender clearance, so the bike has them. You could start with something used and go from there.