Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tool talk

Old 09-26-21, 05:30 AM
MUDCOWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tool talk

Not sure if this exists anywhere but I'm looking for a quick change ratchet allen key set? I know park tool have recently released the QTH-1 and I am looking for something similar but with a ratchet and maybe a slightly longer handle to save my wrists. Any suggestions would be great as I have searched everywhere and not really found much out there.
Old 09-26-21, 06:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Metric allen key socket sets should be readily available from a hardware store or e.g. Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...SABEgJ5tPD_BwE
Old 09-26-21, 07:03 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
If you don't want to carry around allot of large tools then the screwdriver type bit ratchet sets made by Topeak, Silca and others are a good type of tool.
Old 09-26-21, 07:10 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
As John posted I use 1/4" drive up to 6mm and 1/2" drive above on my stand, a buddy has a Snap On 1/4" drive I want with an articulated handle to fit tight spots. That Park Tools looks pretty nice.
Old 09-26-21, 07:11 AM
MUDCOWS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Metric allen key socket sets should be readily available from a hardware store or e.g. Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...SABEgJ5tPD_BwE
I do have one of these sets already but I'm looking for a quick change option (single hand operation and not fiddling around taking bits off and on) .
I think maybe I will have to make some kind of bit holder with the hex shapes cut out. Possibly with a magnet on the back to keep the bits in place.
Old 09-26-21, 07:35 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Something like this, maybe? This is a representative sample only, not a specific recommendation. Many others seem available.

https://www.amazon.com/01148A-11-Pie...38495860&psc=1

This example doesn't specify the hex driver size used. Seems to be made to fit screwdrivers using interchangeable bits, so I'd guess maybe 1/4" - but I don't really know..

With the appropriate size socket, you could just change the bit vice having to change the socket. At least some sets I've seen are specified as being magnetic.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-26-21 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add additional info.
Old 09-26-21, 07:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Here are some options mini ratchet wrench set - Bing You'll have to narrow the choices down to wrenches that have metric hex bits and not T-Handles like OP mentioned from Park Tool but these will give you more leverage and would be less bulky to carry in a seatpack if you wanted to and less $$$. Check reviews on any of these as quality can be questionable on some of them. The Park tool really does look like a nice, quality tool though but not cheap.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 09-26-21 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-26-21, 08:52 AM
MUDCOWS

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I may have found a solution to my problems. Using an old dewalt bit set holder I can fit a 6mm,5mm, 4mm hex and the release button on the ratchet that I have works really well for single hand operation. I have just ordered a rectangular magnet so I can attach the holder and the bits to my work stand. I will post photos of the finished project if all goes well. And thanks for all of the suggestions so far.
Old 09-26-21, 02:40 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Another approach might be to get some additional 1/4" ratchets, so that you can leave a few very-frequently-used bits more or less permanently installed on their own ratchets.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 09-26-21, 02:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
If you ride in wet conditions, you might consider slathering the rust prone tools in a rust inhibiting lubricant stored in a drip-free parcel.