Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Braking squeaking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Braking squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 08:00 AM
Richard65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braking squeaking

all sorted

Hi When i brake hard on my front brake its squeaking I’ve cleaned changes the pad bed them In like 20 miles while not braking hard and now when I brake hard it squeaking my back brake is fine any advice would help

p.s tried different rotor and like 2 sets of pads

hydraulics disc brake

Last edited by Richard65; 09-27-21 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-26-21, 10:27 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
what material are the pads? Some are more metallic than others & can cause an audible resonance. If brake performance is not impacted, it would be just a personal preference to address it, otherwise, it make stop or fade less over time of being a nuisance. You can try a 200ish grit even scrub followed by a clean wipe down using denatured alcohol on both sides of the rotor to see if it changes any. If it does lessen or eliminates the noise & comes back, it's likely the pad material. If it never returns, then you removed a potential surface contaminant.
Old 09-26-21, 11:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Just like rim brakes I've had in the past, with my disc brakes if they start squalling, then I just make sure they are clean with some alcohol and it goes away after a ride or two.

Usually they develop an annoying squeal after riding in the rain. But again, just not worrying about it every moment gives it time to fix itself in a ride or two..
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-26-21, 03:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Damn OP, could you maybe make that post a little easier to understand? Try some punctuation every now and then. Like periods at the end of sentences. ... . .
Old 09-26-21, 03:27 PM
Richard65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Damn OP, could you maybe make that post a little easier to understand? Try some punctuation every now and then. Like periods at the end of sentences. ... . .
maybe don’t comment if u don’t understand I’m not expert on writing/spelling I try my best to word etc and I understand if no one comments because then it means my wording all wrong but then get daft people like u with your comments
Old 09-26-21, 04:22 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Front disk brakes are the king of squalling. I was only able to stop the noise by using a heavier built rotor. I now use an ebike rated rotor.
Old 09-26-21, 08:53 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Richard65
maybe don’t comment if u don’t understand I’m not expert on writing/spelling I try my best to word etc and I understand if no one comments because then it means my wording all wrong but then get daft people like u with your comments
I'm trying to help you out. You don't need to have a degree in creative writing, I'm talking about middle school knowledge.
Old 09-26-21, 09:04 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Likes For Cyclist0105:
Old 09-27-21, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Which is more important? Your brake issue or rebuking someone that you feel impugned upon you wrongly?
Old 09-27-21, 10:38 AM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I always make sure to clean the rotors before using new pads, then make sure to bed them in. Everyone has their own method, but I still believe that fast to hard and long braking works best for me. Good luck
Old 09-27-21, 01:46 PM
cxwrench

all sorted

Hi When i brake hard on my front brake its squeaking I’ve cleaned changes the pad bed them In like 20 miles while not braking hard and now when I brake hard it squeaking my back brake is fine any advice would help

p.s tried different rotor and like 2 sets of pads

hydraulics disc brake
This is not how you bed in new pads. 15-20 hard decelerations (do NOT stop all the way) with minimal time between each braking event. You need to get them hot to deposit pad material on the rotor. This could be why they're now making noise. You can scuff the surface of the pads w/ sandpaper and do the same to the rotors and then re-do the whole process.