Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

mount water bottles onto carbon fork

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-29-21, 10:26 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a carbon road bike I plan on using for a weekend tour. Due to space constraints I need to mount the water bottles somewhere other than the main triangle (I'm using a frame bag as well as a saddle bag). I was thinking of using these from Topeak to mount water bottle cages on each side of my carbon fork:

As the forks weren't meant for this, is there any danger or things I should watch out for? These are plastic mounts so I'm not too concerned about damaging the forks but may use protective tape just in case.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I'm using a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple.
Old 09-29-21, 11:29 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I like Twofish water bottle mounts for this application.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-30-21, 03:04 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Why not use a handlebar mount that puts the bottle within easy reach?
Old 09-30-21, 03:16 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
No to fork mounts. Easiest solution is 2 Revelate Feedbags. Bonus is they insulate and give you extra storage pockets. Wolf tooth makes some cage mount options to check out too.
Old 09-30-21, 03:18 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
If I was using my road bike for a one-time weekend tour, I would probably just zip tie a couple of cheap water bottle cages to each side of the fork. Zip ties are cheap, disposable and hold well. Of course I would wrap something (maybe electrical tape or friction tape) around my precious carbon fiber fork before zip tying around it.
Old 09-30-21, 03:25 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by Calsun
Why not use a handlebar mount that puts the bottle within easy reach?
I’m using that area for my sleeping bag
Old 09-30-21, 05:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have used a Two Fish bottle holder on my folding bike, but in that case the base of the cage sat on the bike frame. The velcro and rubber method of attachment might slide if you tried that on a carbon fork. I would not advise that for your bike, although it worked great for me where I could strap it to a seatpost extension and support the base of the cage on the frame.

I put some sticky backed foam (weatherstripping) on my frame to protect the paint from the cage.

My folding bike only had one cage, I had two more liters in the saddle bag. This was in West Texas where you can get quite thirsty. The Two Fish cage gave me a second liter on the frame.

I suspect you will end up using a backpack with a hydration bladder. A lot of bikepackers I have seen carried a backpack.
Old 10-01-21, 02:28 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
the feed bags are on the inside

Originally Posted by Symox
I’m using that area for my sleeping bag
Old 10-03-21, 08:25 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
the feed bags are on the inside
how are these bags for one handed access to the bottle?
Old 10-04-21, 09:58 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I think they are excellent. You can cinch the bottle real tight with the bungee or loosen it up completely. The bottle stays in by gravity and IMHO does not require cinching at all so you can just grab it and pull it out and just plop it back in when you are done.

Originally Posted by Symox
how are these bags for one handed access to the bottle?
Old 10-05-21, 02:45 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Given that it is a tour, you could even stop, and fish the bottle out of a pannier, or the like. Racers need quick, convenient access to their water, tourists are not so pressed for time.
If I had to fasten something to a carbon frame, I would clean and lightly sand the place I wanted it and them epoxy on a mounting plate/hard point that could take the screw. I would be careful to place it where it did not alter the flexing of that part of the bike.
Old 10-05-21, 03:14 PM
Symox

I ended up getting a bladder as it holds more and keeps the weight low. I also got a mount for the stem in case the bladder takes up too much room.

I like immediate one handed access to water

i found mounting on the forks to be to unstable as I jettisoned a water bottle
Old 10-06-21, 09:13 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My concern about a jury rigged fork mount is that forks are generally tapered, and the weight of the bottle pulling down will tend to loosen whatever clamp you are using.
Likes For ClydeClydeson: