Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Waiting for bike infrastructure

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Waiting for bike infrastructure

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 10:22 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
well, well, well, i saw some potentially promising signs on my commute this morning.

i saw two McHugh Construction pick-ups parked on the grass and several guys in high-viz vests standing at the site of the proposed north shore channel bridge and pointing around at stuff. my guess is either McHugh got the contract for the bridge and are starting to plan out their mobilization, or the bid process is still open and McHugh was just doing a pre-bid site visits.

i sure hope it's the former!

i'm bursting with excitement! my bridge might finally be happening!
maybe the saw your post on bikeforums and taking action! haha glad to hear something good is happening
Old 02-20-19, 10:32 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
construction fencing is up at the site of the proposed bridge!

after more than a decade of planning, it's finally becoming real!
Old 02-20-19, 10:40 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

​​​​​​
Jesus, that is a long time. I assume that I would've moved by then, if it really is a decade wait.
Old 02-20-19, 11:28 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
@Steely Dan, that's awesome! Congratulations!

Having waited 20 years for a trail, I feel ya.

ETA: I should add, construction is scheduled to start (hopefully) in early 2021. So, really, more than 20 years. {sigh**

Last edited by Korina; 02-20-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 12:33 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
that look like an excellent spot for a bridge. does anyone have any insight why it costs so much? 3.4 million is what I read. it's 16 ft wide and 180 long.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/02...iles-of-paths/
Old 02-20-19, 01:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
that look like an excellent spot for a bridge. does anyone have any insight why it costs so much? 3.4 million is what I read. it's 16 ft wide and 180 long.

Because government.
Old 02-20-19, 02:03 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts

3.4 million for a public project that requires a bit of engineering? That almost seems reasonable.
Old 02-20-19, 02:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts

Can't say I'm surprised, looking at the spec (and the design). If you want cheap, you don't cross the creek at a 45 degree angle; that adds about 60' to the length of the bridge. I presume you want the bridge to carry a full load of people, dogs, strollers, bikes, etc. on a warm June Saturday afternoon without buckling or swaying. That's a heavy load to support on two ends, and it'll take a lot of steel (or rebar even if most of it will be concrete) to carry that load. So heavy, expensive footers to bear a heavy, expensive bridge. Add $50-100k to ship that monster from Minnesota, either for the ship or permitting and ******* along the interstate. To paraphrase the late senator, a hundred thousand here, a hundred thousand there, pretty soon it adds up to real money.
Old 02-20-19, 02:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I feel like around here $3.4M wouldn't even pay for the architect

Edit, I was wrong. $3mil for this project, ground broke in 2014, ribbon cut in 2017, hosted Amgen Tour of CA in 2018.

https://folsomcasharttrail.com/the-trail/about
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-20-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 12:11 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

thanks for linking to that article.

my favorite part: "The entire project is expected to be done this fall."

with the glacial pace that this project has moved at thus far, i have a hard time believing that timeline, but if it does pan out, it's crazy to think that i might be rolling over the new bridge in a matter of months, and the most dangerous/annoying part of my daily commute completely eliminated, forever!
Old 02-21-19, 01:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
To paraphrase the late senator, a hundred thousand here, a hundred thousand there, pretty soon it adds up to real money.
Senator Everett Dirksen is quoted as having said, "A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."
Old 02-21-19, 01:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Does anyone have any insight why it costs so much? 3.4 million is what I read.
Dallas (America's can't do city) spent $115,000,000 on a Santiago Calatrava designed dual arch suspension pedestrian and cycle bridge over the ditch that is the Trinity River. (Motor vehicle traffic is carried by a standard TexDOT highway bridge 'hidden' between the arches.) After ten years of planning and five years of construction the beautiful bike bridge was completed two years ago...but the state structural engineer has refused to certify the bridge is structurally sound because in certain wind conditions the support cables break away and pit&pendulum across the deck. So the bike bridge hasn't and can't be used and there is currently no plan or schedule in place to rectify the situation. As far as Dallas (America's can't do city) shakers and movers are concerned, that's okay, since they just wanted the arches for their addition to the city's skyline.

Last edited by tcs; 03-05-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 01:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Senator Everett Dirksen is quoted as having said, "A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."
Originally Posted by tcs
Dallas (America's can't do city) spent $115,000,000 on a Santiago Calatrava designed dual arch suspension pedestrian and cycle bridge over the ditch that is the Trinity River. (Motor vehicle traffic is carried by a standard TexDOT highway bridge 'hidden' between the arches.) After ten years of planning and five years of construction the beautiful bike bridge was completed two years ago...but the state structural engineer has refused to certify the bridge is structurally sound because in certain wind conditions the support cables break away and pit&pendulum across the deck. So the bike bridge hasn't and can't be used and there is currently no plan or schedule in place to rectify the situation. As far as Dallas (America's can't do city) shakers and movers are concerned, that's okay, since they just wanted the arches for their addition to the city's skyline.
You should see what kind of real money (4 Billion Dollar train station that is the 18th-busiest subway stop in New York City, tucked inside a shopping mall, down the block from another shopping center.) is spent by a can-do city like NYC on a Santiago Calatrava designed boondoggle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/03/a...oondoggle.html
Old 02-21-19, 02:47 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts

Great news!
Back
Chicago, the city that works...funny.
Old 02-21-19, 03:19 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

After reading the article that mentions the bridge should be open by fall I'm feeling optimistic about it, but after seeing some many road construction projects halt after the barricades are put up I'm wondering when they're really going to finish.
Old 02-27-19, 03:03 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
@Steely Dan, that's awesome! Congratulations!<br /><br />Having waited 20 years for a trail, I feel ya.<br /><br />ETA: I should add, construction is scheduled to start (hopefully) in early 2021. So, really, more than 20 years. <em>{sigh**</em>
Wisconsin's "trail holy grail" has been to have a continuous bikeway across most of the state's southern beer-gut midsection, from Dodgeville on the west to Milwaukee on Lake Michigan. Madison sits at the hub, and with its path/trail system in place, you can ride this span completely on bikeways.... almost. The last section, just a few miles between the eastern fringes of Madison and the village of Cottage Grove, is still "vaporware". To the best of my knowledge, the rail corridor it's supposed to use hasn't served rail service in decades. It's been recognized as a missing link at least since I first came here in 1990. So this is fast becoming at least at 30-year "missing link"<br /><br />About 10 years ago, a young enthusiast cyclist was killed on one of the rural roads commonly used between these two points, by an inattentive driver. Made the news, and caused a buzz in the "community". But didn't push any buttons wrt. progress on this last link :shrug: .<br /><br />
Originally Posted by tcs
And for those too young to have been a contemporary of Senator Dirksen, he said this when a billion dollars really amounted to something. As seen on a bumper sticker recently - "Trillion is the new Billion".
Old 02-27-19, 03:35 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by madpogue
About 10 years ago, a young enthusiast cyclist was killed on one of the rural roads commonly used between these two points, by an inattentive driver. Made the news, and caused a buzz in the "community". But didn't push any buttons wrt. progress on this last link :shrug:
Hah! We win; it only took one stupid cyclist death to get rumble strips on our highways. One clear afternoon a distracted driver managed to cross two lanes and a 10 ft. wide shoulder to hit the only thing in the area; Greg Jennings, a popular local bicycling advocate and bike commuter, who was lit up like a Xmas tree and riding AFRAP. The cycling community, shocked and outraged, asked CalTrans why we didn't have at least rumble strips. CalTrans basically shrugged and said, 'You never asked.'
Old 03-02-19, 05:11 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
A little off topic, but have you seen the roads in USA lately. I swear it looks like we do not have the billions needed to build and repair roads or some one is stealing money , or the road builders are purposely not building properly. I drove from kenosha , wi., to Chicago the other day. The roads are literally all ruined with the last Artic Polar Vortex, we had with that incredible cold snap.
I am just wowondering if bike safety would actually get our country back on track. Building our transit system that actually would have a developed rail system , linking then to a net work of smaller buses once you get off the train.There by reducing traffic dramatically and having bike lane every where actually with some type of barrier.. I have read that Mexico has smaller buses that run frequently. The damage that heavy traffic does to roads is mind boggling. The financial tax burden on us having g our love affair with cars is literally killing us and putting the financial burden on all citizens to the breaking point. I mean I just could not beleive the destruction on the roads
major roads with major pot hole stretches that if you are not careful will damage your car seriously. . I am a the sky is falling type of guy. But I really think that in terms of cars , the sky is really falling....
Old 03-02-19, 10:27 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I don't remember how long it took to get the second overpass built over Touhy going through Busse Woods, but the death at the street level crossing was needed to get the construction started. I'm glad that wasn't needed for this project.
Old 03-04-19, 05:42 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
A little off topic, but have you seen the roads in USA lately. I swear it looks like we do not have the billions needed to build and repair roads or some one is stealing money , or the road builders are purposely not building properly. I drove from kenosha , wi., to Chicago the other day. The roads are literally all ruined with the last Artic Polar Vortex, we had with that incredible cold snap.
I am just wowondering if bike safety would actually get our country back on track. Building our transit system that actually would have a developed rail system , linking then to a net work of smaller buses once you get off the train.There by reducing traffic dramatically and having bike lane every where actually with some type of barrier.. I have read that Mexico has smaller buses that run frequently. The damage that heavy traffic does to roads is mind boggling. The financial tax burden on us having g our love affair with cars is literally killing us and putting the financial burden on all citizens to the breaking point. I mean I just could not beleive the destruction on the roads
major roads with major pot hole stretches that if you are not careful will damage your car seriously. . I am a the sky is falling type of guy. But I really think that in terms of cars , the sky is really falling....
I agree with most of what you said. But that might mean that things at Wallmart cost a few dollars more (or maybe Wallmart can't function at all), and all their Amazon Prime junk might take 3 days to get there...

If anything, it seems like we are moving in the wrong direction...
Old 03-04-19, 08:57 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by rossiny
Oh we have the money; it's being spent making tanks the military doesn't want in order to support jobs. ::facepalm::
Old 03-05-19, 12:20 PM
tcs
Palmer

"There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation." - W. C. Fields

Old 03-06-19, 09:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by tcs
"There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation." - W. C. Fields
Nope.
Old 03-06-19, 10:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^ Kinda resembles the Cannonball Path bridge over our Beltline:

It was not constructed on-site, except for the supports. The four sections were factory-built, trucked in and craned into place. When they did the two central sections, they closed the main Beltline and had to get both in place overnight in one night. It drew spectators who stayed up all night to watch it happen.

Alas, it's also sort of a "bridge to nowhere", for the time being anyway. Another example of the topic of this thread. The southern terminus of the path is a major intersection of several parts of the area's bike infrastructure, at the far southwest corner of Madison. That section was completed, and the bridge installed, in 2013. But just north of this image, the path dead-ends on a busy street known for its speeders. The last section that will connect it to a more central cross-town path hasn't been started, although the rail corridor it will use is long since decommissioned. This "missing link" section goes through one of the poorest and most racially / ethnically diverse parts of town (and one of the most under-served, wrt. bike infrastructure), but it's not slated for completion until 2020.

When it's done, it will run right past the local bike co-op. Good thing, considering the 500-foot-long private access drive into the co-op, currently the only way to get there, is an unpaved virtual minefield that can be used to test the mettle of any MTB.
Old 12-30-19, 09:35 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

the wait is finally over.

after eagerly watching the construction progress over the past 9 months, the bridge is officially open as of this morning (12/30)!!!

my daily commutes up and down the north shore channel trail have been forever improved.

the middle 6 miles of my 8 mile commute are actually entirely off-street now.

what an excellent belated christmas present!

the bridge is nice, a big and beefy cor-ten steel bow-truss span with asphalt road deck.

it's nice and wide with separate, marked bike & pedestrian lanes.

all-in-all, a nice bit of bike infrastructure that looks built to last.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 12-30-19 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For Steely Dan:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.