Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carving a Brooks saddle

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Carving a Brooks saddle

Old 12-19-17, 05:11 AM
Sion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carving a Brooks saddle

Hi, I own Brooks leather Standard and Imperial saddles and have decided the Imperial ones are definitely more comfortable for me.

So I wondered if anyone has tried to cut the Standard saddle and make it like the Imperial one as I would like to try and convert mine.
I also have the new Cambian Carved and that is very comfortable and weather proof but does not have the look of the leather.

Thanks Simon
Old 12-19-17, 08:19 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Simon ,
I have done that to three of my B17's! The cut out was a great improvement!
A guy from New Zealand sent me a template that I have on file.
If you are interested send me your email and I will get it to you.
One thing make sure your knife is super sharp. I was honing mine on a 4000 grit stone.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 12-19-17, 08:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've done a couple for other people. As Tandem Tom says, make sure your knife is super sharp, especially at the point; and make sure the point is true, that is, it won't steer you away from the line you're trying to cut. The best way to do it, I think, is to cut just with the point of the knife; go over the line repeatedly until you're maybe halfway through the leather. Then you can stab all the way through and cut the rest with the blade itself.

As for whether it makes a saddle better... I am not a fan, but to each his own.
Old 12-19-17, 09:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gasket punches make round holes , the round hole wont tear , (at factory they punch it while flat, then shape it )
so it wont tear, further ..

its like drilling a stopper hole in metal. ..

also skivving the skirt has done on the more premium models.. skivving is thinning.. also rounding square cut edges..

Old 12-19-17, 09:27 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never done this before and don't plan to do it. Can you use a razor blade or box knife?
Old 12-20-17, 06:50 AM
Sion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Simon ,
I have done that to three of my B17's! The cut out was a great improvement!
A guy from New Zealand sent me a template that I have on file.
If you are interested send me your email and I will get it to you.
One thing make sure your knife is super sharp. I was honing mine on a 4000 grit stone.
Tandem Tom, I am so happy that someone has done this before successfully. I have a number of saddles I would like to convert including B17 and Pro. Do you drill holes at the ends to reduce stress or cut the whole thing out with a knife only? I have been considering drilling holes of the appropriate sizes as it is too difficult to punch the holes while the frame is attached. Yes I would very much appreciate the template.
Old 12-20-17, 06:54 AM
Sion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A supplementary question is, has anyone rescued an old friend Brooks saddle that has stretched too far for the tensioning screw? I have a Brook Swallow, Titanium that has become a hammock and needs rescuing.
Old 12-20-17, 07:15 AM
Sion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am grateful for all your comments and will definitely give it a go. Starting with my oldest saddle. I will not attempt the narrow ones I have on my road bikes, Swallow and Swift.
Old 12-20-17, 11:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Sion
A supplementary question is, has anyone rescued an old friend Brooks saddle that has stretched too far for the tensioning screw? I have a Brook Swallow, Titanium that has become a hammock and needs rescuing.
Yes, I've done that. One thing you can do is soak it, and stretch the leather absolutely as far as it will go; then take out the rivets, cut the nose back to the rivet holes (about 3/4"), then punch three new rivet holes in the nose; rivet on the nose piece, assemble the saddle, and replace the six rivets on the cantle plate. It's not terribly difficult, if you can handle rivets. The result was, in my opinion, not as good as new leather; and frankly it's not much less work.

I've put new leather on quite a few saddles. The count is around 200 at the moment.

Old 12-20-17, 02:33 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

I have not drilled holes. I just tape the template to the saddle and trace the outline with my knife, going deeper with each pass.
Send me a PM with your email and I will send the template and somevpices of the process.

UOTE=Sion;20063012]Tandem Tom, I am so happy that someone has done this before successfully. I have a number of saddles I would like to convert including B17 and Pro. Do you drill holes at the ends to reduce stress or cut the whole thing out with a knife only? I have been considering drilling holes of the appropriate sizes as it is too difficult to punch the holes while the frame is attached. Yes I would very much appreciate the template.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-20-17, 11:13 PM
Sion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rhm, that saddle looks impressive. Thank you for the tips on how to refit the present leather onto the frame tighter. I have not done rivets before but have watched the youtube videos and I am keen to give it a try. If I fail, I may be coming back to discuss replacing the leather. Thanks again.
Old 12-23-17, 06:55 AM
Mrpotamus

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone carved a C17? I imagine cutting the rubber would be easier and more forgiving than leather, but I’m looking for some input.
Old 12-23-17, 10:24 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I cut my B17 to make it into a blue Swift. I was surprised how easy it was, considering I have never tried to do anything more than drill a hole in a belt when I lost some weight. I just used a new Xacto knife blade.
Old 09-21-20, 05:20 AM
Lordbiscuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really want to do this to my green B17. Numbness is getting boring.
could you send me the template?
I can’t DM as I’m still a new member but my email address is my name at gmail dot com.
thanks in advance!

QUOTE=Tandem Tom;20063785]I have not drilled holes. I just tape the template to the saddle and trace the outline with my knife, going deeper with each pass.
Send me a PM with your email and I will send the template and somevpices of the process.

UOTE=Sion;20063012]Tandem Tom, I am so happy that someone has done this before successfully. I have a number of saddles I would like to convert including B17 and Pro. Do you drill holes at the ends to reduce stress or cut the whole thing out with a knife only? I have been considering drilling holes of the appropriate sizes as it is too difficult to punch the holes while the frame is attached. Yes I would very much appreciate the template.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Old 09-23-20, 07:07 PM
Tandem Tom

Just saw this post as we have been touring!
I will send the template to you in a little while.
I didn't drill any holes when doing the cutout just used a very sharp exacto knife.
Old 10-13-20, 03:43 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus
Has anyone carved a C17? I imagine cutting the rubber would be easier and more forgiving than leather, but I’m looking for some input.
I would be interested as well. I have moved mine in every imaginable direction and cannot get over 3 hours on it. Not problem at all on a leather swallow saddle.
Old 10-14-20, 09:27 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus View Post
I would be interested as well. I have moved mine in every imaginable direction and cannot get over 3 hours on it. Not problem at all on a leather swallow saddle.
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I've always found rubber a LOT harder to cut than leather of comparable thickness.

Cheers
Old 10-14-20, 10:01 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Lordbiscuit
I really want to do this to my green B17. Numbness is getting boring.
could you send me the template?
I can’t DM as I’m still a new member but my email address is my name at gmail dot com.
thanks in advance!

QUOTE=Tandem Tom;20063785]I have not drilled holes. I just tape the template to the saddle and trace the outline with my knife, going deeper with each pass.

UOTE=Sion;20063012]Tandem Tom, I am so happy that someone has done this before successfully. I have a number of saddles I would like to convert including B17 and Pro. Do you drill holes at the ends to reduce stress or cut the whole thing out with a knife only? I have been considering drilling holes of the appropriate sizes as it is too difficult to punch the holes while the frame is attached. Yes I would very much appreciate the template.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Before you carve, check your fit, the B17 is very sensitive to a too high seat height, or too great of a reach. Try dropping your saddle a bit. Mine went from unbearable, to a seat I can ride all day with no pain at all. A 70 mile day is comfortable.
Old 10-15-20, 09:15 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Gosh, if it were me I'd sell the Brooks on ebay and buy a Selle An Atomica or similar...
Old 01-09-23, 01:39 PM
enginmotobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Tandem Tom,

I am interested in carving my Brooks B17.
I would be really interested if you can send me the template if you still have it.
How can I send you my mail address?
Private message doesn't seem to work.

Best regards,
Old 01-10-23, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by enginmotobecane
Dear Tandem Tom,

I am interested in carving my Brooks B17.
I would be really interested if you can send me the template if you still have it.
How can I send you my mail address?
Private message doesn't seem to work.

Best regards,
Tandemtom
Heads up- you were summoned.
Old 01-10-23, 02:02 PM
Tandem Tom

Just saw this. Let me search for it then send it off,
Old 01-11-23, 01:12 PM
enginmotobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Tandemtom
Heads up- you were summoned.
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Just saw this. Let me search for it then send it off,
Hi,

Thank you mstateglfr and Tandem Tom,
Template well received.
I will be back with the results after the carving.