Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your 70's vintage Raleigh International

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your 70's vintage Raleigh International

Old 12-17-22, 07:00 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Maytag
well, you ask for.....really nothing spectacular. Most parts I already had. Even had Campy derailleurs and shifters, but went the Shimano route. On the steerer I was looking for a clean front end with no cables looping over the handlebar.
The Arabesque group always looks so classy. If I could find an Arabesqe triple crank, I would love to build a bike with that group.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-17-22, 01:22 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
Very, very nice! Paint and decals are in great shape.
Old 06-04-23, 01:27 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 260 Posts
Another '74 I've had sitting around in pieces for a few years and finally got around to putting together a month or so ago. In the time since I acquired it I've migrated to larger frames, so I won't keep this one around for long. But it's a nice ride which, of course, they all are.
Old 06-07-23, 08:43 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Another '74 I've had sitting around in pieces for a few years and finally got around to putting together a month or so ago. In the time since I acquired it I've migrated to larger frames, so I won't keep this one around for long. But it's a nice ride which, of course, they all are.
Is that a 23.5" frame?
Old 06-08-23, 07:08 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Is that a 23.5" frame?
23" CTT. I used to be fine with that but over time I've adopted a more upright riding position, with my height and inseam I've found that 24" -25" or the rough metric equivalent works better for me these days. The International I posted prior to this one fills that bill nicely.
Old 10-20-23, 09:03 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Finally getting to building my international that I got from the great NYC sell off.

It is a WIP to be built with riser bars and 3x10 speed
Old 11-28-23, 09:49 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
More international
Wheels from a Fuji Stratos I had in Cambodia, Dura-Ace triple FD, Ultegra GS RD, Ultegra 14-25 10 speed cassette, SR -780 10 speed shifters and BL-780 brake levers,(Shimano Ultegra level for flat bar, Brooks Flyer and Some Aero seat post with Acorn bar bag and tool roll, MKS pedals and mix master Weimann/Dia comp brakes. cut down Wald rear rack.

Old 12-02-23, 10:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I don't commute by bike much anymore, except I did a lot this past summer. I had a job that lasted for only the summer, and the route was close to ideal. I had a lot of fun doing it, and it had a great effect on my health. Towards the end of the summer, I updated the bike with new tires, stem, handlebars, and a rear rack. After eight years, I had to face that mustache bars don't suit me. I used a stem adapter and modern stem and bar. I switched the tires from Soma Shikoro to Continental GP5000 in 32mm, wider than before. Fantastic tires, and by comparison, the previous tires were torture devices. I got my dynamo lights working again, and then the rear failed quickly, so I need to fix that.

A few years ago, that 24-spoke rear wheel failed I pretty much expected. I've been borrowing the rear wheel from another bike. It has a Campagnolo hub so the horizontal cog spacing is wrong for my Shimano drivetrain. I have to click twice for some shifts, but it's surprisingly acceptable for me.

I also decided that the front rack isn't great for the bike's geometry. A rear rack is better.

Since taking this picture I fixed the brake lever position, taped the bars, and straightened up the lights' wiring.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-02-23, 11:29 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
A question about the International which is a beautiful model I have never seen this side of the pond, where were they built in the UK for export, the US or elsewhere? I did read about them on Sheldon Brown but did not see this information.
Old 12-03-23, 12:39 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
A question about the International which is a beautiful model I have never seen this side of the pond, where were they built in the UK for export, the US or elsewhere? I did read about them on Sheldon Brown but did not see this information.
The International was built for Raleigh by Carlton Cycles of Worksop England, both Raleigh and Carlton were owned at the time by Tube Investments. This was an export model to the US from 1970-76 and was never available in the UK.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 12-03-23, 06:52 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Raleigh bought Carlton in the mid-60's (I think?). The International existed as a Carlton model prior to Raleigh's ownership of Carlton.
The Carlton Internationals that I know of were quite ornate. Jim Langley wrote a brief article about this 1963 model....

higher resolution version

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-03-23, 08:53 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Raleigh bought Carlton in the mid-60's (I think?). The International existed as a Carlton model prior to Raleigh's ownership of Carlton.
The Carlton Internationals that I know of were quite ornate. Jim Langley wrote a brief article about this 1963 model....

higher resolution version

Steve in Peoria
That blue and white is very nice, with the fancy lugs it reminds me of the kind of look you would find on a Hetchins.
Old 12-03-23, 10:21 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't commute by bike much anymore, except I did a lot this past summer. I had a job that lasted for only the summer, and the route was close to ideal. I had a lot of fun doing it, and it had a great effect on my health. Towards the end of the summer, I updated the bike with new tires, stem, handlebars, and a rear rack. After eight years, I had to face that mustache bars don't suit me. I used a stem adapter and modern stem and bar. I switched the tires from Soma Shikoro to Continental GP5000 in 32mm, wider than before. Fantastic tires, and by comparison, the previous tires were torture devices. I got my dynamo lights working again, and then the rear failed quickly, so I need to fix that.

A few years ago, that 24-spoke rear wheel failed I pretty much expected. I've been borrowing the rear wheel from another bike. It has a Campagnolo hub so the horizontal cog spacing is wrong for my Shimano drivetrain. I have to click twice for some shifts, but it's surprisingly acceptable for me.

I also decided that the front rack isn't great for the bike's geometry. A rear rack is better.

Since taking this picture I fixed the brake lever position, taped the bars, and straightened up the lights' wiring.

Big changes! Agree about the geometry, my International handles a rear load better than in front. I like having a basket and bag in the front but at lower speeds it requires attention.
Old 12-03-23, 11:59 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
That blue and white is very nice, with the fancy lugs it reminds me of the kind of look you would find on a Hetchins.
In 2018, Jim Cunningham displayed a 1956 Carlton International Longfellow at the Classic Rendezvous gathering. He ran a restoration business called Cycle Art, so this was bit of a showpiece. Very impressive!

No photo of the whole bike, unfortunately.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-03-23, 12:30 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Hello,

Jim's Carlton International Longfellow is essentially my dream bike and I've admired it since the first photos started floating around on the internet.

I have photos of it and several others that I've saved during my research into Carlton and I guess now's as good a time as any to share some. Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 12-03-23 at 12:39 PM.