Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle for various riding positions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-17-22, 08:49 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Does anyone know of a saddle that works well in both aggressive (i.e. pelvis rotated forward) and more upright riding positions? Googling quite a bit, it seems saddles are made for one or the other. And I guess that makes sense, but I wonder if there is a saddle that does work well enough for both.

I recently tried the SQLab 612R and it works wonders for my back and climbing, with the step at the back giving a lot of support, however, unless I rotate my pelvis forward and basically go as aero as I can and almost 'lie' on the saddle, it doesn't work. With the pelvis rotated it feels great, no pressure anywhere, but as soon as you want to go in a more upright position, you can feel the sit bones digging more and more into the saddle the more you go upright*. And I don't want to ride aggressively 100% of the time.

* Interestingly, when climbing you do sit more upright, too, but here you don't get the pressure as when riding upright on the flats.

Update: I ended up trying 3 saddles on the pressure mat, and went for the SQLabs Ergowave 612 Carbon. Not the R version. It is a lot less hard and much easier in an upright position, though slightly worse, for me, in an aggressive position. But overall it works very well.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 08-09-22 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-17-22, 06:03 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Aside from Saddle marketing BS, I think personal anatomy still controls what 'works' for any rider. And it's often little things. Being 'designed' for a certain position or riding quality will always be defined by the actual rider's butt... (and legs, and back).
Building in 'structures' like on the SQ LAB saddle, may often work in one way and be counter in another - as you found.
I won;t comment on the SQ LAB, because I've not ridden any example, but gravity can;t be overcome, and sitzbones are the ultimate support.
Saddles which offer, some small amount of easy fore/aft movement (usually less than 1 cm) work the best for me.
I don;t ever have a very upright posture, and rarely (these days) need a super aero posture.
Won't go into the details, cause riders has enough anatomic variation to make saddle companies happy.
Saddles have certainly 'improved' over the long run, but not every variation can be considered 'improvement.
Ride On
Yuri
.... the SQ LABs 'ledge' thing would prolly confirm my impression, after a ride...
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 06-18-22, 06:21 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I use SMP saddles. I've found them to be more comfortable than any other brand I've used. They make a lot of models. Find the right width from their recommendations first. I use the stratos with standard padding.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles.html?p=2
Old 06-18-22, 03:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Fizik's Argo Tempo saddle works well for me. It has a pronounced tail kick, which is great for climbing, and it doesn't seem too fussy about whether you are sat up or on the rivet. There is a more racy version too (Vento), but I haven't tried that one.

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-19-22, 01:23 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Fizik's Argo Tempo saddle works well for me. It has a pronounced tail kick, which is great for climbing, and it doesn't seem too fussy about whether you are sat up or on the rivet. There is a more racy version too (Vento), but I haven't tried that one.

I am actually looking at the Vento Argo Adaptive, here it is available at a decent price, about half of the Specialized with 3D technology and actually even cheaper than a lot of other 7x9 or 7x10 railed saddles (pretty sure I cannot change my clamp as it is proprietary so stuck with carbon oval).

I may have to travel to the nearest Fizik to see if they have any bikes with the Argo line, as that tail kick does look nice. Would want to at least sit on it even if not possible to do a test ride.
Old 08-09-22, 12:56 AM
ZHVelo

I ended up trying 3 saddles on the pressure mat, and went for the SQLabs Ergowave 612 Carbon. Not the R version. It is a lot less hard and much easier in an upright position, though slightly worse, for me, in an aggressive position. But overall it works very well.
Old 08-09-22, 05:46 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Whether I'm upright or aggressive posture, I can only tolerate saddles with small / very shallow side angles, narrow, and flat, squarish top. Many of these are TT or road racing saddles.

I have fairly big hamstrings and wide saddles or with sharp side angles hurt my hamstring even if I'm riding upright.

Not everyone will have the same need.